Virginia's offense is bad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia's offense is bad

It's a good point. And if you look at the statistical indicators that can be used as proxies for "athleticism" (block%, steal%), we're ahead of them.

I think a lot of it is just they are that well coached. They make you work for a shot, they don't let you get a second shot, they don't send you to the line, they just know what they're doing on that end of the floor. (Also worth pointing out, we have a really good defense too. 13th in the country)
It’s also the pack line defensive scheme, and Bennett gets them to execute it very well.

Clemson getting wiped by Virginia tonight ... down 19 with 8 minutes to go (48-29). They are likely reeling from the loss of Grantham. Ugly or not, this team puts up great results. They have a very good shot at a #1 seed again.. whether they execute from it is a different matter.

Clemson getting wiped by Virginia tonight ... down 19 with 8 minutes to go (48-29). They are likely reeling from the loss of Grantham. Ugly or not, this team puts up great results. They have a very good shot at a #1 seed again.. whether they execute from it is a different matter.

I turned this on when Clemson was up 23-16. Needless to say, it did not go well for them after that

There seems to be a consensus here that Virginia's struggles in post season can be attributed to the schemes Bennett employs. I'd like to offer an alternative view. Since 2012, UVa has been in the NCAA's five times. In three of those years, Virginia did not end the regular season at full strength. In 2012, there were only seven scholarship players available at the end of the season, and one of the starters, Joe Harris, was playing with a cast on his non shooting hand. The first round loss to Florida was more than predictable. In 2015, Virginia never recovered its chemistry after Justin Anderson's broken finger/appendectomy. He returned in time for the tournament, but the team wasn't the same. Last year, without Isaiah Wilkins in the lineup, it was a bit of a miracle that Virginia won in the round of 64. Again, the loss to Florida was predictable. In 2014, UVa went into the tournament healthy. While the Sweet 16 loss to Michigan State might have happened anyway, Anthony Gill's injury, which took him out of the game in the second half, didn't make things easier in a game that was tightly contested to the very end. 2016 was the only year Virginia has been healthy throughout the tournament. They simply choked the quarter final game. While injuries and illnesses are part of the game, it is rare that teams that endure them go deep in March. I think this is a more plausible explanation for UVa's struggles than their style of play.

There seems to be a consensus here that Virginia's struggles in post season can be attributed to the schemes Bennett employs. I'd like to offer an alternative view. Since 2012, UVa has been in the NCAA's five times. In three of those years, Virginia did not end the regular season at full strength. In 2012, there were only seven scholarship players available at the end of the season, and one of the starters, Joe Harris, was playing with a cast on his non shooting hand. The first round loss to Florida was more than predictable. In 2015, Virginia never recovered its chemistry after Justin Anderson's broken finger/appendectomy. He returned in time for the tournament, but the team wasn't the same. Last year, without Isaiah Wilkins in the lineup, it was a bit of a miracle that Virginia won in the round of 64. Again, the loss to Florida was predictable. In 2014, UVa went into the tournament healthy. While the Sweet 16 loss to Michigan State might have happened anyway, Anthony Gill's injury, which took him out of the game in the second half, didn't make things easier in a game that was tightly contested to the very end. 2016 was the only year Virginia has been healthy throughout the tournament. They simply choked the quarter final game. While injuries and illnesses are part of the game, it is rare that teams that endure them go deep in March. I think this is a more plausible explanation for UVa's struggles than their style of play.

I can buy some of this. I’m a minority on the board who likes watching UVA play. Frankly, I don’t see how their style of play should be publicly mocked when you take a look at our efficiency (UVA 41, SU 123 per KenPom). I like seeing them move the ball, move themselves, etc., around to get a good shot. With a purpose. Syracuse just passes it around the perimeter, waste time, then either drive into double-teams/offensive fouls or launch contested deep shots. You can’t even compare the two.

Guy, Jerome, and Hall are good players but not good enough to deal with a three guard explosive backcourt like Florida’s last year in the Tourney. I guess you weren’t surprised either. UVA’s defense will keep them in it but they don’t have enough explosive guards these days, IMO. I doubt they will have enough firepower again to go deep in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom