Vitale just ranted against Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Vitale just ranted against Syracuse

Now Duke and NC will have more than 2 or 3 tough games and won't be as rested for the tournament. Golly gee 5 or 6 tough games. How unfair!!!

FYI, Carolina's strength of schedule was ranked 8th in the nation last year.

For sure we had our share of cupcakes and Twinkies in November and December (just like all Div I schools), but we also faced some tough teams in those months, to wit: Minnesota, Illinois, Kentucky, Texas, and of course dook 3 times from February through March.

The ACC isn't as tough as it once was but it's not a bunch of patsies either.

We made it to the Elite 8 and ran into a Kentucky squad that rained 3s on us all afternoon.

Considering we came off a horrendous season the year before, most of us were more than satisfied with the final results.

Here's a link to the final USA Today rankings for last year's Div I Men's Basketball teams:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1

Why was none of this about greed when TAMU wanted to leave? Or Nebraska? Or Utah? Or Colorado? Or Miami, VT and BC? The spin that ESPN has been trying to put on this is BS. We are the greedy ones? GTFOH. They helped create this whole situation. But I don't expect them to report on their own moral hazards. We are an easy scapegoat.

Because Syracuse is relevant, TAMU is not.

It will be once pitt and Cuse get there :D

For sure we had our share of cupcakes and Twinkies in November and December (just like all Div I schools), but we also faced some tough teams in those months, to wit: Minnesota, Illinois, Kentucky, Texas, and of course dook 3 times from February through March.

We made it to the Elite 8 and ran into a Kentucky squad that rained 3s on us all afternoon.

Considering we came off a horrendous season the year before, most of us were more than satisfied with the final results.

Here's a link to the final USA Today rankings for last year's Div I Men's Basketball teams:

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1

Duke and North Carolina are the only teams in the ACC that have had elite teams almost every year while the other teams in the conference have only occasionally been able to challenge for a top 2 finish in conference, the ACC conference schedule is not a cake walk but it is not filled with top 25 teams almost every game like the Big East has been for the past few years, though obviously North Carolina and Duke may have scheduled tough OOC opponents to raise their strength of schedule but im too lazy to look it up

Dickie V does not care about football so he is only focusing on bball. The move to ACC was based on fball so he doesn't understand it. Both fball, bball, and LAX all need to be taken into account, as well as TV markets and school academic profile. That is why I don't want Rutgers in the ACC.

Because Syracuse is relevant, TAMU is not.

I don't know that people would accept the premise that TAMU is less relevant than Syracuse. But if TAMU doesn't satisfy you then substitute Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State into the argument. Why are those teams not called out for being greedy when for two seasons running they've threatened to leave the B12? Is Mizzou greedy for wanting the stability of the B10? No, the idea that SU and Pitt are greedy is put out by ESPN because it's the narrative they wish to put on those two leaving the BE. Hell, Texas greed has almost killed the B12. But you won't see ESPN have a real discussion about that because they are complicit in the destabilization of the B12.

Methinks WE doth protest too much!

I don't understand the thin-skinned reaction to the likes of Vitale, Wilbon, that Dana chick or anyone else.
Most of us reacted the same way when BC left. Are those "journalists" & ESPN being uninformed hypocrites...yes, so what else is new?

When Neb, TAM, CU, & Utah switched, there wasn't this kind of deep moralizing. But we're Syracuse & Pitt
in the East Coast media center...so of course its gonna be harped on.
Couple that with the uncertainty & fear about realignment, & suddenly these guys see how much is at stake. I take it as flattery that
our move has refocused the spotlight SQUARELY on this issue, on a national scale.

If anyone thought we'd get off squeaky-clean with this move, that just wasn't happening. But I'd rather be the villians & safe,
then twisting in the wind like everyone else- Dickie V be damned!
Besides- in a coupla years none of this pontificating will matter anyway.

In terms of basketball, no conference has ever had or could ever have a better 1-2 punch up at the top.

I'm glad SU gives them another and hope UConn eventually joins to make it a Fantastic Foursome.

Cheers,
Neil

who cares what vitale thinks, he doesnt do much anyway except scream and yell. he should stick to promotional charity events hes good at that. 2 years ago he didnt go to the cuse-nova gameday game because of a gladys knight concert, shows how much he cares about the sport

Syracuse left an inept conference who had many chances to save itself, but instead kowtowed to the bigwigs at ND. You let a non-football school make a decision about football dollars? How asinine is that? Marinatto is reaping the benefits of caring more about ND and the bball onlies than taking the football schools seriously.

This post, while not being about Duke Vitale, is extremely accurate. How were we going to let ND rule us on the off chance they would eventually join. The Big East played themselves like a hooker by letting ND use us that way. So now, the tables may turn. ND can quietly rid off into the Rudy night, or it can join! And maybe it joins our new us...

I can't even say Syracuse is in the ACC. God I hate the ACC! We don't even have the "our worst team VMI joined the ACC and played well" trope that we had last time... It is like "they stole our two best teams and lol of course they dominated. The ACC sucks, why did we join?" trope to start now.

He crossed the line when he said it's a moral issue. That's rich coming from someone at ESPN.

He needs to stop. It's wonderful that he loves college basketball so much, but he hasn't said an original or insightful thing about basketball or sports in general since the Reagan administration.

Take a look at where your employed Dickie... the GREED is ALL the mighty ESPN is about!

Vitale is and has always been all about self-promotion and long-ago hitched his wagon to Duke and a somewhat lesser degree the rest of the ACC. He represents the industry that is ultimately behind all the realignment; the television money is what drives this. His current indignation is just another part of his show. If he really cared about student-athletes he would go after the NCAA.

Vitale is playing a part in a TV show. There's more bandwith than intelligent talk out there.

If it was UConn he would've been all over UConn. But it isn't UConn. :rolling:

Yes, ESPN ... let's have a conversation about GREED, shall we?

cable-sub-fees.png

Someone should ask Vitale who runs the Longhorn Network...the spark that ignited this f@#!ing powder keg.

Duke and North Carolina are the only teams in the ACC that have had elite teams almost every year while the other teams in the conference have only occasionally been able to challenge for a top 2 finish in conference, the ACC conference schedule is not a cake walk but it is not filled with top 25 teams almost every game like the Big East has been for the past few years, though obviously North Carolina and Duke may have scheduled tough OOC opponents to raise their strength of schedule but im too lazy to look it up
These things go in phases. The ACC was dominant for a long time and built serious traditions; despite the recent swoon, there is no reason to think that eventually they wouldn't have returned to form (even sans Cuse and Pitt). Teams like Maryland can easily rise back to the top with the right recruiting class, just like we might see St. Johns emerge from a long hiatus, and just like we finally saw G'Town return to relevance over the recent past. Georgia Tech has the best recruiting base in the country, and now that their disaster of a coach is gone, and now that University of Georgia hoops has a bright future, in-state b-ball recruits won't be so eager to skip town for the Kentuckys and UCLAs, etc.

The Big East, on the other hand, has struggled at times, but has been dominant over the past 5 years (well, maybe going back to UConn's 99 season), but there is no reason to believe that would continue indefinitely.

Bottom line for Dukie V - adding Pitt & us might mean an extra loss or two for the Dukies each season, and heaven forbid, if Pitt or us won an ACC tournament !!!

These things go in phases. The ACC was dominant for a long time and built serious traditions; despite the recent swoon, there is no reason to think that eventually they wouldn't have returned to form (even sans Cuse and Pitt). Teams like Maryland can easily rise back to the top with the right recruiting class, just like we might see St. Johns emerge from a long hiatus, and just like we finally saw G'Town return to relevance over the recent past. Georgia Tech has the best recruiting base in the country, and now that their disaster of a coach is gone, and now that University of Georgia hoops has a bright future, in-state b-ball recruits won't be so eager to skip town for the Kentuckys and UCLAs, etc.

The Big East, on the other hand, has struggled at times, but has been dominant over the past 5 years (well, maybe going back to UConn's 99 season), but there is no reason to believe that would continue indefinitely.
I said that those teams occasionally challenge and even finish in the top 2 but there is a significant gap between the tradition and recent history of Duke/North Carolina and the rest of the current ACC while the Big East has had several elite programs who have had success for way more than 5 years

He has actually ranted about conference-hopping before, but since it wasn't directed at SU, it wasn't discussed here. He's right, to a degree, but you can't blame individual schools for actions of survival within the system that has been created mostly by the media and the NCAA.

He has actually ranted about conference-hopping before, but since it wasn't directed at SU, it wasn't discussed here. He's right, to a degree, but you can't blame individual schools for actions of survival within the system that has been created mostly by the media and the NCAA.

This ^.

Also, newmexicuse is on to something too; Vitale can't stand the thought of dook's prestige being threatened and I think Pitt and Syracuse are more than capable of taking them down a peg or two.

Hope you guys can break the 27-month hostage rule somehow and git on over to the ACC. Should be some awesome games coming up, and the sooner the better.

Dick Vitale is a saphead.

Will always remember the first time I heard him, it was way back in 1979 before he was a famous basketball announcer. Carolina was playing Detroit in Chapel Hill and he was just foaming at the mouth and being who he is, doing what he does. My brother and I just looked at each other and said who is this drip? Can't remember if it was an ESPN produced game or not, I just looked it up and ESPN first started in September of 1979.
His bias toward dook is so obvious a child can see it and the guy can't broadcast ANY college game without referring to Ratface and what a "classy" program dook is.

The man is a caricature of himself and his time to retire has long come and gone.

Is Ratface the official term? I've seen Ferret Face as well and I just want to be sure for future reference.

Are ND and Texas greedy with their own TV Networks? I mean ND, just join a conference and go for the "spirit of competition." Are they greedy or good business people!?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom