Vitale | Syracusefan.com

Vitale

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
He’s doing the WCC tournament. Has ESPN gotten tired of his act or is it there another reason why he’s no longer doing the ACC tournament? It’s a long way from Duke-UNC to Pepperdine-Gonzaga.

All expense paid trip to Las Vegas for Vitale and his wife.
He wants to call this tournament for that.
Dick has been pushed back as he doesn’t do the Duke-UNC games anymore and it bothers him.

He’s doing the WCC tournament. Has ESPN gotten tired of his act or is it there another reason why he’s no longer doing the ACC tournament? It’s a long way from Duke-UNC to Pepperdine-Gonzaga.

It used to be that I muted DV because he was loud and obnoxious. Now because of some voice issues he's difficult to understand if there is a lot of crowd noise in the background. His voice has deteriorated quite a bit.

It used to be that I muted DV because he was loud and obnoxious. Now because of some voice issues he's difficult to understand if there is a lot of crowd noise in the background. His voice has deteriorated quite a bit.

Yep he never recovered from that issue a few years ago that caused him to miss the first half of the season.

I used to really dislike Dickie V and bought into his Duke favoritism. Now that he’s mellowed some, I think it’s all just enthusiasm for the game. I have grown to appreciate that and miss his voice in big games. Most guys are just cookie cutter color guys with little passion for the sport they’re covering.

Long live Dickie V

He has no reason to be miffed that he is not the big game guy anymore. As a former coach, he should have a better understanding than most that the best guy gets the gig. He's not the best guy anymore. Give me Bilas any game. Is Raftery doing NCAA tourney games this year?

Dick Vitale is a very good human being. He will go anywhere and speak to any group to raise money for pediatric cancer research or for the V (Valvano) Foundation. At this 2015 event alone, he raised $2.4 million and put many hours of time and effort into it. This picture is from 2015 at Dick's home near Sarasota, when the wonderful John Saunders was still with us.

11072769_10152972008879958_1918180016435170998_n.jpg

Last edited:
He normally goes from WCC and will end up at the SEC Tourney. He hasnt done the ACC tourney in quite a few years now (5ish?).

I used to really dislike Dickie V and bought into his Duke favoritism. Now that he’s mellowed some, I think it’s all just enthusiasm for the game. I have grown to appreciate that and miss his voice in big games. Most guys are just cookie cutter color guys with little passion for the sport they’re covering.

Long live Dickie V
He must be listed among the catalyst for the growth of college basketball.

Dick Vitale is a very good human being. He will go anywhere and speak to any group to raise money for pediatric cancer research or for the V (Valvano) Foundation. At this 2015 event alone, he raised $2.4 million and put many hours of time and effort into it. This picture is from 2015 at Dick's home near Sarasota, when the wonderful John Saunders was still with us.

I keep waiting to win the Mercedes from the V drawing.

Dick is a good man, a great ambassador for college basketball and has raised a ton of money for charities.

I am glad he is still doing games and wish him great health. No doubt he was a factor in the explosion in popularity of college basketball in the early days of ESPN.

I never hated Vitale. I liked his enthusiasm but his repetitiveness eventually grew stale with me. I'm glad that by all accounts he is a really good guy that has used his celebrity status to support good causes. I hope he enjoys whatever announcing jobs he is assigned as his career winds down.

I always enjoyed the evolution of Vitale from JB critic to JB supporter. One of my favorite pics:

20774423-mmmain.jpg

Dickie V didn’t like Jimmy B? Never knew that. Would like to hear more on it if you’re trying to share

Dickie V didn’t like Jimmy B? Never knew that. Would like to hear more on it if you’re trying to share

Vitale was one of JB’s early, and loudest, critics on crappy free throw shooting, playing zone and playing nobody in December.

He put JB on an All Crybaby team some time in the late 80s early 90s.

Vitale was great for increasing national exposure for college hoops. He was the first, and for a long time the only, person who had a national tv platform.

In JB’s case, Vitale frequently used that platform to criticize many of the things people still post about today (no depth, bad FT shooting, zone vs man, etc).

To some of us who are old enough to remember, many of the board’s repetitive critics are really doing poor Duke Vitale impressions from 30 years ago.

Reactions: MGP
He's a good person and great ambassador for the sport who helped popularize broadcasters not talking about the game happening in front of them.

Vitale was one of JB’s early, and loudest, critics on crappy free throw shooting, playing zone and playing nobody in December.

He put JB on an All Crybaby team some time in the late 80s early 90s.

Vitale was great for increasing national exposure for college hoops. He was the first, and for a long time the only, person who had a national tv platform.

In JB’s case, Vitale frequently used that platform to criticize many of the things people still post about today (no depth, bad FT shooting, zone vs man, etc).

To some of us who are old enough to remember, many of the board’s repetitive critics are really doing poor Duke Vitale impressions from 30 years ago.

John Feinstein's book on Bobby Knight, A Season on the Brink, shaped many people's take on JB. Feinstein used JB as a foil to Knight, characterizing him as a poor challenger to Knight's genius. Feinstein later recanted.

Interesting that 1987 was the first year of the 3-point shot, the most radical change to college B-Ball ever. The four coaches who made the final four that year were Knight, Tarkanian, Pitino and Boeheim. That was no mistake.

Wait is that pic for real? It looks like someone photoshopped their heads onto teenage boys