Voices of the Game | Syracusefan.com

Voices of the Game

SWC75

Bored Historian
Upon Further Review is having a theme day- most and least favorite broadcasters. I thought I would be a fun subject for a post on our board, (I'll post it to both the basketball and football boards but the subject is general in each case.)

First locally: When I first started following sports Bill O'Donnell was the voice of the Orange. i still remember his deep, authoritative but friendly voice and his famous sign-off: "Good Night Sport". He moved on to the Baltimore Orioles in the mid 60's to be Chuck Thompson's partner and died of cancer in the 80's. I recall the reactions to his death were full of reverence for him as a broadcaster and a man and thinking how lucky we were to have such a guy in our town for the time he was here.
http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/4715f825

Bill was replaced by Joel Mareiness, who was a classic local "homer" full of colorful phrases and clearly rooting for the team, beloved by local fans but not the sort of guy the networks were looking for. Old time fans recall Joel saying that Vaughn Harper "went up the invisible ladder" for a rebound. I remember when he called a tipped pass interception by shouting "inconception". I thought he'd invented a new form of birth control. I still remember when the technology failed him in one road game and he had to broadcast the game from a telephone, able to see only the one basket. Eventually a security guy ordered him off the phone and he got in a scuffle with the guy. Later he did the Chief's games and tried to catch foul balls with a fisherman's net. He'd be interviewing a guy after the game and get a having cream pie in the face. Everybody loved him except Jake Crouthamel who decided he wasn't what they wanted in the Dome and replaced him with Doug Logan.

It took me a while to warm to Logan because I loved Mareiness so much but he did a professional job and made a good team with Jim Ridlon. Then he was canned and the "Voice of the Orange" was a revolving door for a while. I always regretted that our national championship season was voiced by Mark "One and Done" Johnson, who had no history- and no future with the program. I've always felt Doug Logan in 1987 had the statement "AND SYRACUSE WINS THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!" in the back of his throat ready to go and I wish he't finally gotten the chance to say it 16 years later. Instead we got Johnson who always sounded to me as if he was narrating a used car commercial.

Now we have Matt Park who is likeable and more than competent. I hope he gets the chance to call a national championship for SU.

With the Chiefs the first broadcast crew I remember was John Harmon and Jack Morse and they are still the best. They were different. Harmon was the classic "southern gentleman" broadcaster like Mel Allen, Red Barber and Ernie Harwell. Morse had a minimalist, clipped manner of describing the action but told good stories and had great chemistry with Harmon, despite or maybe because of their differences. Dan Hoard was the best since, professional but with a dry sense of humor. And the bets since him was Jason Bennetti, whose style has been copied by Kevin Brown who has become more interesting to listen to as a result.

I'm not a hockey fan so I'll let the hockey fans comment on the guys who do the crunch. I am, of course familiar with Bob MacElliott, who did both the Crunch and the Chiefs. He was competent but I never warmed to him.

Bob Costas and Mike Tirico are obviously excellent but their time as play-by-play guys locally was limited. My biggest memory of Costas is doing the 1972 NOT when we with a front line averaging 6-3 almost beat Maryland, with a front line that averaged 6-10. At one point he he shouted to Bob Dooms, our 6-5 center, "Make a good pass Bobby- please!". The biggest thing I remember about Tirico was his predicting that our 1989 team, with derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas, Stevie Thompson and Billy Owens, was going to lose in the NCAAs to Colorado State. They were never in it and we won by 15. But both were and are excellent and obviously deserve their success.

Nationally, my all time favorite is Jim McKay, who had a great feeling for both sports and people and knew when to talk and when not to. I think Jim Nantz is very good. Pat Summerall was good. Al Michaels is good.
Vin Scully is the model for modern broadcasters but I think talks a bit too much, citing things like ironies that seem very obscure. But he can paint a picture with the best of them. Jim Buck is OK but his father Jack was much better. Lindsay Nelson was always the "voice of college football to me", even more than Keith Jackson later became. Ray Scott was great in the old days, doing Packer games. I never liked Curt Gowdy much. He seemed like a likable guy somehow he never seemed very sharp to me and kind of droned on a bit.

The only pro team I've listened to much is the Mets. I actually gravitated to their broadcasts because I liked the broadcasting team better than the others that were available. The Red Sox guys put me to sleep. The Braves guys hyped everything to the sky and complained that ever call that went against the braves was a tragic injustice. The Yankees had Phil Rizzuto talking about pizza places and Bill White calling for chin-music But the Mets' broadcasters analyzed the game and I could learn something from them. And they were entertaining to listen to. Ralph Kiner, (who went he wasn't saying "Kinerisms was actually pretty sharp), Tim McCarver and Steve Zabrisikie. I didn't think Fran Healy quite came to their standard. These days I think Howie Rose and Gary Cohen are as good as it gets. Friendly and informative is what does it for me.

The ones that get the most reactions are the color guys because they have to pout on a show. Don Meredith pulled it off but he spawned many imitators so didn't. The worst was Alex Hawkins, whose "commentary" was reduced to nothing but hoops and hollers. Tim McCarver and Dan Dierdorf have their detractors but I like both of them tremendously. McCarver focused on analyzing the game in detail as it went along and had a great influence on many guys who came afterwards that some people admire more. Mets player used to complain aobut his criticism and a couple of them, Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling and Bobby Ojeda are now commentating on the Mets and doing the same thin. Dierdorf was authoritative and interesting. I also loved Paul McGuire who had a sense of humor about the game, (I still remember him using a telestrator to point out where a bouncing fumble was "This is the ball- go get the ball!")

My least favorite color guys have been Howard Cosell and Dick Vitale who thought the show was all about them and barely cared what was happening with the game.

So, which ones do you and have you liked and which ones do you and have disliked the most?

Last edited:
My favs.

1. Dick Enberg IMO the best all time
2. Verne Lundquist
3. Bill Raftery
4. Sean Mcdonaugh
5. Dick Stockton
6. Mike Breen
7. Jeff Van Gundy
8. Jay Bilas
9. Bob Costas-it's a shame NBC doesn't cover baseball anymore.

Some guys I don't care for.

1a. Nantz
1b. Buck

They are the same person. Blah blah blah.

I'll say the same thing about Simms and Aikman.

Marv Albert needs to hang it up. He hasn't aged as well as Verne or Enberg.
Doris Burke...blahh...
Shulman...meh...espns version of Nantz or Buck.

McCarver...I always thought that he talked too much He loves to listen to himself talk.

Still think that Paul Christman was the best color guy ever for NFL football.

Ever hear Dizzy Dean call a baseball game?

McCarver...I always thought that he talked too much He loves to listen to himself talk.

Thank you for reminding me of the name of Paul McGuire. A buddy of mine used to be married to his daughter and the wife and I were just talking about her last night.

I also really liked Dierdorf. Wish he was back on Monday night football instead of gruden. Hate listening to him.

Agree on Christman. I swear he paired up with Al Derogatis (who I also liked a lot), but not according to the internet tubes.

Agree on Christman. I swear he paired up with Al Derogatis (who I also liked a lot), but not according to the internet tubes.

Gowdy was the play-byplay man with first Christman and then Derogatis for AFL games.

Great post as always SWC. I like Bilas a bunch, and the guys I don't just kinda tune them out. Life is too short

At one time I liked Jim McKay. But late in his career he seemed to want to invent possible outcomes to events and would try and build towards that thought. Jim Nantz is another who I used to like a lot. He does the same thing that McKay did in building up a possibility that he likes. Also his habit of making up a one line summary for the conclusion of a sporting event, particularly the Masters, has become forgettable.
As for least favorite, sign me up for Chris Berman.
Most enjoyable announcing teams for me were Summerall and Venturi for the Masters along with Summerall and Madden for football.

Grew up listening to Mareiness from the days of Roy's Runts. " Hal Cohen with the Groucho Marx dribble down the floor" "Another Bouie Boomerang!" He was highly entertaining. :D Then Doug Logan . I can say without a doubt THE Voice of the Orange. I wish his last " So long for now" wasn't so long for good. Some were critical of these guys for being homers, but when you're listening to the radio, nobody else could bring the excitement of the game to life. I work for a local non-profit agency that provides services to people with developmental disabilities, and Doug has graciously volunteered for many years to MC our annual fund raising dinner, as he does for many, many causes. BTW I do a great Doug Logan impression. :)

The Best

1. Jack Buck (I grew up listening to him do Cardinal games, simply the best)
2. Harry Kalas (The voice, enough said)
3. Keith Jackson (FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLLE)
4. Costas (Ever hear him call a hockey game? simply amazing, currently the best at baseball)
5. Doc Emrick (Will watch any hockey game Doc calls)
6. McDonough, Raftery, and Bilas (As a team)

The Worst

1. McCarver (loves the sound of his own voice)
2. McCarver (totally clueless)
3. McCarver (forgets there is a game going on, is totally clueless, and loves the sound of his own voice)
4. John Thompson (totally unintelligible)
5. Joe Morgan (Clueless)
6. Harold Reynolds (Makes things up because he is clueless)

)

Last edited:
Great topic.

I really started watching sports in the 80's and some of my fondest moments included the following:

Doug Logan calling SU basketball. I grew up in the country with no dish so I had to listen to alot of games on the radio. I just loved listening to Doug calling the action.

When it came to watching baseball I loved it when Vin Scully and Joe Gargiola (sp) were on the call on tv.

My favorite NFL announing team was Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen on NBC. Dick always seemed so upbeat and had that 'OH MY" statement when something great happened.

Speaking of of Dick he also did college basketball games with Al McGuire on NBC...and those were fun games to listen to...much better than Billy Packer and Brent Musberger.

My favorite college football announcer was def Keith Jackson..."WHOA NELLY".

I have to admit I am not a big Jim Nantz or Joe Buck fan.

I currently enjoy listening to Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery on Fox broadcasts of college basketball.

I'll keep this relatively short...

As a kid I grew up listening to Bob Murphy and Gary Cohen "paint the word picture". Good stuff, enjoyable to listen to, and truly capable of illustrating things in the mind of a radio listener.

Next category, my favorite call of all time. That would have to be the famous "pitches to Owens, he dives in the endzone, yes!!! yesssss!!!! yyyyyessssssss!!!!!!". For anyone listening to that live, it seems like a hard one to forget.

Favorite semi-routine call: Marv Albert with, "Starks for 3....YES! and it counts"

Least favorites...Troy Aikman, Joe Buck, Phil Simms, and a number of other NFL announcers who just seem to grind on something in my mind.

Favorite guilty pleasure: modern day Bill Walton.

Great topic.

I really started watching sports in the 80's and some of my fondest moments included the following:

Doug Logan calling SU basketball. I grew up in the country with no dish so I had to listen to alot of games on the radio. I just loved listening to Doug calling the action.

When it came to watching baseball I loved it when Vin Scully and Joe Gargiola (sp) were on the call on tv.

My favorite NFL announing team was Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen on NBC. Dick always seemed so upbeat and had that 'OH MY" statement when something great happened.

Speaking of of Dick he also did college basketball games with Al McGuire on NBC...and those were fun games to listen to...much better than Billy Packer and Brent Musberger.

My favorite college football announcer was def Keith Jackson..."WHOA NELLY".

I have to admit I am not a big Jim Nantz or Joe Buck fan.

I currently enjoy listening to Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery on Fox broadcasts of college basketball.

I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Vin Scully. The best in baseball imho.

Others I really enjoy - Mike Tirico and Brent Musberger. I used to not be able to stand him but Brent has aged well and I like that he has fun. Brad Nessler

I dislike Bob Costas and Jim Nantz. I like natural emotion and both of them sound like they have rehearsed their "big moment" calls in the bathroom mirror for days.

Watch out on the highway after Cuse games.

Truth!!

Being I like to make my own variations on a theme on here, I was tempted to start a thread called "Vices of the Game" addressed to various topics including this. However, I was worried that SWC75 and others may think I was mocking his thread other than paying it tribute in my own weird way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom