Voters in Coaches Bowl...interesting anomaly... | Syracusefan.com

Voters in Coaches Bowl...interesting anomaly...

cto

Administrator
Historically, the voters have been one coach per conference, and JB had been the Big East rep for years.

With our joining the ACC, I assumed JB would not longer have a vote. But he DOES have a vote. Look at the list of voters below. There are TWO coaches from the ACC ... and none from the Big East or the AAC

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2012-13 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, South Alabama; Randy Bennett, Saint Marys; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Tim Cluess, Iona; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Steve Donahue, Boston College; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Tim Floyd, Texas-El Paso; Mark Fox, Georgia; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Ron Fang Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Saul Phillips, North Dakota State; Steve Pikiell, Stony Brook; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Andrew Toole, Robert Morris; DonVerlin, Idaho; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara.

Historically, the voters have been one coach per conference, and JB had been the Big East rep for years.

With our joining the ACC, I assumed JB would not longer have a vote. But he DOES have a vote. Look at the list of voters below. There are TWO coaches from the ACC ... and none from the Big East or the AAC

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 31 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2012-13 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Tevester Anderson, Jackson State; Ronnie Arrow, South Alabama; Randy Bennett, Saint Marys; Eddie Biedenbach, North Carolina-Asheville; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Tim Cluess, Iona; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Steve Donahue, Boston College; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Tim Floyd, Texas-El Paso; Mark Fox, Georgia; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Ron Fang Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Saul Phillips, North Dakota State; Steve Pikiell, Stony Brook; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Andrew Toole, Robert Morris; DonVerlin, Idaho; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara.
Well, they don't deserve any.

/quote]

That says all we need to know.

I don't have the time to follow everything related to sports like I once did but I still follow college sports pretty closely. Esp. if it somehow impacts us (hey, Zona is on, if they lose, we jump up to #1...ok, I'll try to catch it...). That said, I still couldn't come up with the AAC teams. Just last week, I saw that UCONN played SMU or Houston and thought it was strange. It took many mins for me to internalize it was that they are in the same conference. That says it all...

*Note: I just googled AAC to see the complete list. When one googles AAC basketball, Google's search completion suggests ACC basketball instead. That fact only should tell anyone paying attention that they are in a crap conference.

Interesting find Joyce.

Happy that JB retains a vote, he certainly deserves it and I bet he's extremely fair in his assessments, but not good news for the AAC and Big East. It doesn't seem kosher to shut them out especially since those 2 conferences do have top 25 teams. Strange. I know I'll probably get ripped for saying it.

Interesting find Joyce.

Happy that JB retains a vote, he certainly deserves it and I bet he's extremely fair in his assessments, but not good news for the AAC and Big East. It doesn't seem kosher to shut them out especially since those 2 conferences do have top 25 teams. Strange. I know I'll probably get ripped for saying it.

Cherie, you make me sick! ;)

Cheriehoop said:
Interesting find Joyce. Happy that JB retains a vote, he certainly deserves it and I bet he's extremely fair in his assessments, but not good news for the AAC and Big East. It doesn't seem kosher to shut them out especially since those 2 conferences do have top 25 teams. Strange. I know I'll probably get ripped for saying it.

You don't know what you're talking about!! ACC rules AAC drools!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/

HOW THE POLL WORKS
The USA TODAY Sports men's basketball coaches poll is conducted weekly throughout the regular season using a panel of head coaches at Division I schools. The panel is chosen by random draw, conference by conference plus independents, from a pool of coaches who have indicated to the NABC their willingness to participate. Each coach submits a Top 25 with a first-place vote worth 25 points, second place 24, and so on down to one point for 25th.

List of Voters
The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 32 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2013-14 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Randy Bennett, Saint Marys; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Scott Cherry, High Point; Tim Cluess, Iona; Keith Dambrot, Akron; James Dickey, Houston; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida; Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Tim Floyd, Texas-El Paso; Mark Fox, Georgia; John Gallagher, Hartford; George Ivory, Arkansas-Pine Bluff; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Danny Kaspar, Texas State; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Greg McDermott, Creighton; Bob McKillop, Davidson; Fang Mitchell, Coppin State; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Saul Phillips, North Dakota State; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Andrew Toole, Robert Morris; Don Verlin, Idaho; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara.

you might want to use the correct year information next time

You don't know what you're talking about!! ACC rules AAC drools!
Corduroy said it in jest, but it's actually a factual statement. I have it on good authority that the AAC drools.

Corduroy said it in jest, but it's actually a factual statement. I have it on good authority that the AAC drools.

Photographic evidence:

crycon2-jpg.5392

Ok, Creighton for the New Big East and Dickey of Houston for the AAC are voters this year - which makes sense. I didn't notice the year in Joyce's post either :oops: thank you for the correction dinno28, I'm certain it was just an innocent mistake.

you might want to use the correct year information next time
Don't get snippy, pal. There are nicer ways to say "I think you may have printed last year's roster."

I copied and pasted that directly from the USA rankings report on espn.com today. Why would any casual reader think it would not be the current roster... since it appeared at the bottom of today's poll.

Don't get snippy, pal. There are nicer ways to say "I think you may have printed last year's roster."

I copied and pasted that directly from the USA rankings report on espn.com today. Why would any casual reader think it would not be the current roster... since it appeared at the bottom of today's poll.
stone+cold+gif.gif

And that's the bottom line. Cause CTO said so.

Ok, so it's no secret that JAB watches a lot of basketball in his spare time. I think he mentions it quite frequently. And there is no question that JAB takes everything very seriously in every endeavor that he is involved in. So why do I have a hard time visualizing JAB sitting there every Sunday night figuring out his rankings and submitting them by the computer. Is it just me?

dinosaur-computer.jpg

Didn't know that 21 of the 32 coaches are from small conference schools (and I'm not including the reps from the AAC and Big East). Consider the roster: Harvard, St. Mary's, Belmont, High Point, Iona, Akron, North Florida, Drexel, Hartford, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Northern Iowa, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Texas State, Northwestern State, Davidson, Coppin State, Bucknell, North Dakota State, Weber State, Robert Morris, Idaho, UC Santa Barbara.
We better put an impressive beating on High Point. It's a good thing that St. Francis-Brooklyn isn't on the panel.

We better put an impressive beating on High Point.

High Point lost by 35 in their last game vs Georgetown. I haven't seen the Hoyas play this year but something tells me that we would be favored if we played them.

http://www.highpointpanthers.com/news/2013/12/5/M-Basketball_1205130438.aspx?path=mbball

BTW, High Point is coached by a local kid who played at Spa Catholic, Scott Cherry who played at UNC on their 1993 championship team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Cherry

Last edited:
The only thing CTO gets demerits for here is the thread title. Frankly my image of her as the only snowy owl with impeccable English has been shattered - I'd never imagined such a gaffe would escape her keen eyes.

I just love anything where dudes named Fang, Shaka and Bruiser determine an outcome.

MadNY3 said:
I just love anything where dudes named Fang, Shaka and Bruiser determine an outcome.

Moose, Rocco, help the Judge find his wallet.