VT doesn't want to be in a North division | Syracusefan.com

VT doesn't want to be in a North division

VaTech will probably have little say in which division they end up in, unless the Gov. of VA is picking the teams.

Maybe V Tech is setting this up as their excuse to justify accepting an offer from the SEC?

I had this thought. Whether or not it actually happens, I would guess that 2 or more ACC schools are chatting with Slive. It would really be too bad to lose any teams, but if it's held to one, I don't think there would be a huge impact.

If and that is a big if, VT went to the SEC I don't think the ACC would miss a beat in reality. When I think of ACC football, I think first and foremost of FSU. FSU is the brand name of ACC football historically in modern football. Losing FSU would hurt the perception of the ACC badly.

One way to solve that is Divisions of 4 teams each: (Assumes both UConn and ND are in.) For football, play everyone in your division, and two from each of the others on a rotating basis.

NORTH
Syracuse
Notre Dame
BC
Uconn

MID ATLANTIC A
Maryland
Virginia
Vtech
Pittsburgh

MID ATLANTIC B
UNC
Duke
NC State
Miami

SOUTH
Florida State
Clemson
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech

Another way would be to hold at 15 teams, while ND tries to figure out what they're going to do. In this case, create three Divisions of 5:

DIVISION A
Syracuse
BC
UConn
Pitt
Maryland

DIVISION B
VTech
Virginia
NC State
Miami
GTech

DIVISION C
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest
Florida State
Clemson

Much ado about nada. In the grand scheme of things this is a very minor issue.
Keep 'em where they are & split the newbies by putting 1 in each division. Simple.

VPI wants no part of the proposed 'North' division because that would put them back to a middle of the pack team like they were in the Big East. How many titles did VPI win when they were in the Big East?!?! Yeah, that's what I remember too.

Going North/South could create a competitive balance. More importantly for the northern schools would be the loss of a guaranteed game in Florida every other year and how this might affect recruiting. The better question is whether it makes sense to add SU and Pitt to the current divisions or to rework them. If we kept the current conference divisions, I would like to SU to either be placed in the same division as BC or have BC be a permanent cross-over game.

Maybe the most insightful thing I read so far about this realignment situation is that the larger the conference becomes, the more likely the internal bickering as well.
Imagine if we, Pitt, or UConn start winning ACC tournaments & being our usual arrogant Yankee selves? Those Sourthern folk might not take kindly to that- & start looking for ways to, (cough) tweak, the situation. Then of course the cultural "differences" may start to take center stage.

Frankly, I think its all but inevitable & I hope it can be managed w/out problems. VT has established its new identity in the ACC, & here we come along to shake the status quo- so yes, they feel threatened.

Going North/South could create a competitive balance. More importantly for the northern schools would be the loss of a guaranteed game in Florida every other year and how this might affect recruiting. The better question is whether it makes sense to add SU and Pitt to the current divisions or to rework them. If we kept the current conference divisions, I would like to SU to either be placed in the same division as BC or have BC be a permanent cross-over game.

Miami could be put in the "North." There are six teams north of the VA/NC border and eight south of it.

VPI wants no part of the proposed 'North' division because that would put them back to a middle of the pack team like they were in the Big East. How many titles did VPI win when they were in the Big East?!?! Yeah, that's what I remember too.

I think they won at least 2. I remember 2 Sugar Bowl appearances (95 season, 99 season).

But this isn't surprising and I don't blame them. There are 4 schools in North Carolina all within 3 hours, can be at Clemson in less than 5 hours. Why would they want all 5 of those schools to end up as every once in awhile crossover games.

We should be thinking the same way. Let's say UConn and Rutgers get into this league. Do you just want to play UConn, RU, BC, Pitt every year and not have more access to playing Clemson, FSU, Miami, some games in NC? Not me. Mix this sucker up.

Much ado about nada. In the grand scheme of things this is a very minor issue.
Keep 'em where they are & split the newbies by putting 1 in each division. Simple.
That is what will happen because it is easy. Plus, if there is the possibility of a 16 team league, there is no need to get radical until it is finalized.

My guess now is this, with annual cross-divisional rivals paired:

BC - Syracuse
Pitt - VT
Maryland - UVA
NCSU - UNC
Wake - Dook
Clemson - GT
FSU - Miami

My three cents:

-I agree with the guy's main point. This thing is happening, so let's do it all the way instead of sectioning off the North and South schools. Thus creating animosity between regions because the south doesn't view us as "true" rivals, and the north is too busy clinging to familiarity and what's left our our Big East souls to even care.

-I think his reasoning is quite shaky though. Quickly glancing at the divisions, I don't think the supposed south division would be all that more powerful in football, and not sure what relevance that even has to VT cause they would not be the one you would rotate to the south division in order to even things up anyway. And even though money drives the bus, you can't argue that the ACC would likely have more talent and commitment to basketball than any other remaining conference... so that has to be considered, and again, in a north/south setup that comes out pretty darn even.

-Virginia Tech is like that buddy you hang out with that is kind of a loser, but has that one trait that makes him a decent personality. But then when someone else joins the group, all Virginia Tech does is try to convince all of the old members that the new guy isn't worthy. It's at that point that he goes from being tolerated, to despised. That was the only thing missing from Jake's post the other day... Virginia Tech is Pee Wee from Porky's. And if they start to bitch, if I were the ACC I would tell them that West Virginia would look mighty good in their spot.

I caught this show heading home from work last night and he also said he would be in favor of a 10 game conference schedule. It would mean the elimination of the guaranteed games.

I caught this show heading home from work last night and he also said he would be in favor of a 10 game conference schedule. It would mean the elimination of the guaranteed games.

Just the opposite. It'll mean the elimination of interconference games. No one will ever give up cupcake games. I think we should lobby Penn State using that. If they don't join us, they may never get to play a game on the east coast again.

Just the opposite. It'll mean the elimination of interconference games. No one will ever give up cupcake games. I think we should lobby Penn State using that. If they don't join us, they may never get to play a game on the east coast again.
sorry, should have put quotes around guaranteed. that was his words. felt that it would be unfair because of some of the traditional ooc games, i.e, florida/fsu, ga tech/georgia, sc/clemson. those games aren't going away.