- Aug 26, 2011
10:35 AM - 5 Dec 2014
SU Ice Hockey @CuseIce 23h23 hours ago
Want to catch the Orange before its next home stand in February? : http://cuse.com/news/2014/12/5/WICE_1205142837.aspx… pic.twitter.com/TlqCmdLwYF
Hockey Closes Out 2014 Portion of its Schedule Saturday
Orange host RIT before month hiatus
12/5/2014 1:04:00 PM
The Syracuse hockey team will close out 2014 on Saturday when it hosts RIT in its final game for a month.
Scouting the Orange
- Syracuse enters Saturday's contest in a tie for second in the CHA at 3-2-3 after a split with Lindenwood last weekend.
- The Orange last played on Tuesday, falling 6-2 at Cornell.
- Melissa Piacentini scored both Syracuse goals in that game.
Scouting the Tigers
- RIT enters the contest 7-8-3 overall but just 1-4-1 in conference, having lost its last three CHA games.
- Celeste Brown and Mackenzie Stone lead the Tigers in scoring with 10 points each.
- RIT has three different goalies that have played at least four games, but Ali Binnington leads the way with 10 starts and playing 55-percent of the team's minutes.
- Binnington has a .957 save percentage and is allowing just 1.09 goals against this season.
- Syracuse is 4-3-1 all-time against the Tigers.
- The teams always seem to play each other close as five of the eight games have gone to overtime.
- Eight current members of the Orange have recorded points against the Tigers, with Jessica Sibley leading the way with seven (three goals, four assists). Akane Hosoyamada (three goals, three assists), Allie LaCombe (two goals, two assists), Nicole Renault (one goal, three assists), Melissa Piacentini (three goals, one assist), Larissa Martyniuk (three assists), Julie Knerr (two goals, one assist) and Danielle Leslie (one assist) each have points against the Tigers.
- The Orange fell 2-1 in overtime to RIT in the team's last meeting.
- Nicole Renault scored 'Cuse's lone goal, with assists from Akane Hosoyamada and Jessica Sibley on the power play.
Not So Tini on the PP
- Against Cornell on Tuesday, Melissa Piacentini netted her fifth power play goal of the season, moving her into a tie for second in the nation in power play goals.
- Piacentini has accounted for 56 percent of the Orange's extra-skater goals this season (5-of-9).
Faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.