Wagner Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wagner Thoughts

Yea I played all growing up, but never good enough to play at any kind of high level. But you are right, basketball was a big part of my childhood. My best friend's dad worked at the Dome and I spent a lot of time there as a kid watching games.
oh you don't have to be great to know the game... you know the game.

I think our strength is going to prove to be our three big men, and therefore CJ, James or both are going to play a little less than most anticipate.

Or James will get minutes at the 2. If all 3 bigs are playing well (big if) James will play some 2. There is no way CJ and James don't per 30 per.

Or James will get minutes at the 2. If all 3 bigs are playing well (big if) James will play some 2. There is no way CJ and James don't per 30 per.
i dunno man, no one played 30 last year... i think the only people who will play 30 will be the guards.

i dunno man, no one played 30 last year... i think the only people who will play 30 will be the guards.

I doubt anybody but the guards will average over 30 for the year, but in close important games Boeheim will go with a tighter rotation than usual, and those are the games I'm thinking about. I'm thinking 7 play most of the minutes with maybe a few token minutes early for whoever loses the PT battle between Coleman and Keita.

But Moqui and others disagree, and one of the coolest things about this team is the potential to be not just good, but dominant in so many areas. This could be a team that pounds the ball inside better than any other, it could be a team that shoots better than any in recent memory, it could be lead by its guards. Not sure if there are any other SU teams we could have had a debate similar to this about. Mostly you know what they can and cannot do going into the season.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

In that scenario I hope Southerland plays more than Fair to stretch defenses out. Who do you see playing more of those two?
That is the big question . . . I think James is more versatile, but Fair is more consistent. If James adds consistency to his game (and he will go a long way toward that if he continues to shoot more 2s than 3s), then CJ could get squeezed a little bit.

That said, I can imagine a scenario where many if not most games see all five front court players getting between 20 and 28 minutes

I doubt anybody but the guards will average over 30 for the year, but in close important games Boeheim will go with a tighter rotation than usual, and those are the games I'm thinking about. I'm thinking 7 play most of the minutes with maybe a few token minutes early for whoever loses the PT battle between Coleman and Keita.

But Moqui and others disagree, and one of the coolest things about this team is the potential to be not just good, but dominant in so many areas. This could be a team that pounds the ball inside better than any other, it could be a team that shoots better than any in recent memory, it could be lead by its guards. Not sure if there are any other SU teams we could have had a debate similar to this about. Mostly you know what they can and cannot do going into the season.
i agree. Could be a super exciting team. I think CJ will be on the floor in critical moments. I think if the game is on the line we'll go Rak, CJ and James. I really hope/and believe Dajuan will get used to the speed of the college game and start being a serious contributor on the offensive and rebounding fronts.

i agree. Could be a super exciting team. I think CJ will be on the floor in critical moments. I think if the game is on the line we'll go Rak, CJ and James. I really hope/and believe Dajuan will get used to the speed of the college game and start being a serious contributor on the offensive and rebounding fronts.

I tend to agree with you.

Good recap and write-up man! The biggest thing that concerns me on D is containing dribble penetration. I don't care what the score was. They were going right around Triche/MCW (Cooney tried to stop them) and like you say, other teams will have big guys who won't be intimidated by our guys when they get easy feeds from guards.

Good recap and write-up man! The biggest thing that concerns me on D is containing dribble penetration. I don't care what the score was. They were going right around Triche/MCW (Cooney tried to stop them) and like you say, other teams will have big guys who won't be intimidated by our guys when they get easy feeds from guards.

Yea I think the defense is a bit of a paper tiger so far, but that's not completely unheard of. The zone usually takes some time to come together, especially with younger teams.

When Boeheim has had the size and athleticism he's always made the defense work by the end of the season, so if past history is any indication things will come together.

This is how I see the big east minutes.

MCW 32
Triche 30
Cooney 15
James 30
CJ 30
Rak 25
DC2 20
Baye 15
Grant 3

Yea I think the defense is a bit of a paper tiger so far, but that's not completely unheard of. The zone usually takes some time to come together, especially with younger teams.

When Boeheim has had the size and athleticism he's always made the defense work by the end of the season, so if past history is any indication things will come together.
or maybe best D ever. 15 good fouls in the middle, arguably best depth ever. Longest pg ever. Long, athletic, experienced wings.
A lineup of MCW, BT, CJ, Dirty, Rak/Bmk is not a paper tiger, it is possibly SUs nastiest ever. Plus the depth, and leadership, to not have anyone loaf. This is not your fathers tavern league.

or maybe best D ever. 15 good fouls in the middle, arguably best depth ever. Longest pg ever. Long, athletic, experienced wings.
A lineup of MCW, BT, CJ, Dirty, Rak/Bmk is not a paper tiger, it is possibly SUs nastiest ever. Plus the depth, and leadership, to not have anyone loaf. This is not your fathers tavern league.

Potentially true but we could be susceptible to a team with quick guards and a good frontline. Kansas, Indiana, and Duke come to mind. Length is nice but it dosn't help us always.

Today's mins

MCW 35
Triche 34
Cooney 9
James 30
CJ 33
Rak 18
DC2 16
Baye 14
Grant 6

Today's mins

MCW 35
Triche 34
Cooney 9
James 30
CJ 33
Rak 18
DC2 16
Baye 14
Grant 6

Why not take a second to rank stack them? Lazy reporting.

Especially if you don't actually say anything useful while doing your lazy reporting.

I am worried that our minutes projection in a game like this means that JB wasn't convinced on either Cooney or Grant in our preceding time. With only 15 minutes in a game where we never we in doubt, this was a game for Triche, Carter-Williams, Fair and Christmas to get together. It is clear now that Triche, Carter-Williams, Fair, Christmas and Southerland are JB's expected minutes leaders this season. Keita, Coleman, Cooney and Grant are the runners up today. In that order. Today marked the Fab'ing of Coleman. I am quite sure that JB tells these top recruits "you will start" and leaves the promise there. Coleman may take a while to get ready and my turn out to be a two year guy. In complete conjecture, JB telling him that rather than promising immediate NBA riches may be what got such a valued (Kentucky $) recruit to play here at home.

Once the rotation is built, every player has time to change the pecking order, but it usually requires an extended period of quality play first.

Why not take a second to rank stack them? Lazy reporting.

Especially if you don't actually say anything useful while doing your lazy reporting.

I am worried that our minutes projection in a game like this means that JB wasn't convinced on either Cooney or Grant in our preceding time. With only 15 minutes in a game where we never we in doubt, this was a game for Triche, Carter-Williams, Fair and Christmas to get together. It is clear now that Triche, Carter-Williams, Fair, Christmas and Southerland are JB's expected minutes leaders this season. Keita, Coleman, Cooney and Grant are the runners up today. In that order. Today marked the Fab'ing of Coleman. I am quite sure that JB tells these top recruits "you will start" and leaves the promise there. Coleman may take a while to get ready and my turn out to be a two year guy. In complete conjecture, JB telling him that rather than promising immediate NBA riches may be what got such a valued (Kentucky $) recruit to play here at home.

Once the rotation is built, every player has time to change the pecking order, but it usually requires an extended period of quality play first.

Its not a report its a follow-up on projected minutes that was started in this tread. Video feed was too poor for me to make a report. The games was in doubt they cut it to 6 in the second half.