Waiters now in Chad Ford's top 10 | Syracusefan.com

Waiters now in Chad Ford's top 10

lol. Well, for the very few here that think DW won't make an impact in the league all I have to say is *******t. Some folks don't know talent if it bites them in the a$$. It's obvious that most people that rate players for a living have high regard for this kid. The kid can play.

dion was a special player.. if fab could have just kept himself eligible...a possible uk-su final would have been a lot more fun than that ku-uk borefest

lol. Well, for the very few here that think DW won't make an impact in the league all I have to say is *******t. Some folks don't know talent if it bites them in the a$$. It's obvious that most people that rate players for a living have high regard for this kid. The kid can play.
First of all, let me just say I like Dion and think he's a tremendous talent. I think he could be a good NBA player.

That said, just because Chad Ford thinks he's a lottery pick doesn't mean he's now confirmed as a great NBA player. He could still disappoint, as much as I hope that doesn't happen. After all, draft projections aren't exactly an exact science.

First of all, let me just say I like Dion and think he's a tremendous talent. I think he could be a good NBA player.

That said, just because Chad Ford thinks he's a lottery pick doesn't mean he's now confirmed as a great NBA player. He could still disappoint, as much as I hope that doesn't happen. After all, draft projections aren't exactly an exact science.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.;)

He is too short to become a starting NBA shooting guard. If he would have been able to stay another year and split the point with MCW, and get drafted as a pg, he might have been able to become a mini Westbrook, an awesome scoring pg. I would not be surprised if he gets shipped to the dvlp league to learn the point. As a shooting guard he will be a bench player brought in for offense. He was our best defensive guard, but NBA 2's will shoot right over him.

Waiters and Morrison couldn't be further apart comparison wise.

It's not meant to compare the two. As you note, they are nothing alike. It was directed to the assertion that players aren't necessarily "can't miss" prospects just b/c scouts love them.

He is too short to become a starting NBA shooting guard. If he would have been able to stay another year and split the point with MCW, and get drafted as a pg, he might have been able to become a mini Westbrook, an awesome scoring pg. I would not be surprised if he gets shipped to the dvlp league to learn the point. As a shooting guard he will be a bench player brought in for offense. He was our best defensive guard, but NBA 2's will shoot right over him.

I don't agree with the D-League bit, but this is a legitimate concern for Dion. Talent or not, it's an uphill climb to be a tweener.

It's nice to see someone throw out reasons supporting his claim, though - it's easy to blindly throw around "talent," "better NBA player than college player because Fran Fraschilla said so," and "can't miss." In reality, there's no such thing. Hope Dion ends up with the right franchise and gets an opportunity to learn the point.

I don't agree with the D-League bit, but this is a legitimate concern for Dion. Talent or not, it's an uphill climb to be a tweener.

It's nice to see someone throw out reasons supporting his claim, though - it's easy to blindly throw around "talent," "better NBA player than college player because Fran Fraschilla said so," and "can't miss." In reality, there's no such thing. Hope Dion ends up with the right franchise and gets an opportunity to learn the point.

This is key... Needs to be developed the right way...

I think he will be drafted as a point and play the majority of his minutes at the 1, actually.

I think he will be drafted as a point and play the majority of his minutes at the 1, actually.

Agreed. And I think that Dion has the chops to eventually be an effective 1, in the Russell Westbrook mold.

I think Westbrook is a good comparison. Not that I think Dion will be as good but he's similar. The biggest similarity is that people were saying the same things about Westbrook's ability to play PG as they are Dion. It was an unknown. What Dion will not be is a "mini-Westbrook". Westbrook is 6-3 187, Dion is 6-4 215. Dion has the game and will be a good NBA player sooner rather than later.

Have you looked at NBA 2's lately? DWade 6'4, Ray Allen 6-5, Hinrich 6-4, Afflalo 6-5, DWest 6-3, Foye 6-4, T Allen 6-4, Ellis 6'3, Gordon 6-3, Mathews 6-5, Crawford 6-4. Sure there are some 6-6 and taller 2G's but Dion's right there with most of them and is stronger than most too. He can easily play the 2.

Agreed. And I think that Dion has the chops to eventually be an effective 1, in the Russell Westbrook mold.

westbrook, monta ellis, john wall, tyreke evans. we can debate how well they fit on winning teams, but can't debate that if you can score and bring a certain level of athleticism, you will be gainfully employed for a long time.

I can see the Westbrook thing. A lot of people don't really see Westbrook as a true 1, and I can see the same thing with Dion. More of a combo guard, but I'm not sure there is anything wrong with that.

Dion has a lot of work to do to live up to a top 10 pick. He is going to need to be in top shape, give effort all the time and figure out how to get a quicker release on the jumper. I know people fall in love with upside, but... man, that pick would scare me as a GM.

Have you looked at NBA 2's lately? DWade 6'4, Ray Allen 6-5, Hinrich 6-4, Afflalo 6-5, DWest 6-3, Foye 6-4, T Allen 6-4, Ellis 6'3, Gordon 6-3, Mathews 6-5, Crawford 6-4. Sure there are some 6-6 and taller 2G's but Dion's right there with most of them and is stronger than most too. He can easily play the 2.
I always liked the OJ Mayo/Tony Allen comparisons for Waiters.