Waiters now in Chad Ford's top 10 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Waiters now in Chad Ford's top 10

Good grief every freaking thing on this board can't go with out someone knocking a kid. Good for Dion and people saying he isn't a 1 or a 2 or he won’t make it that’s not going to matter at a certain point you are blessed with a talent and what will separate you from everyone else will be your work ethic. Dion has that so IMO he will always succeed because he is willing to put in the work to become successful. How many tweets this year did we see that had to do with him putting in time at the gym after a game or at 11 o'clock at night? That people is called passion and it’s a shame more of our players don’t have that type of drive.

First of all, let me just say I like Dion and think he's a tremendous talent. I think he could be a good NBA player.

That said, just because Chad Ford thinks he's a lottery pick doesn't mean he's now confirmed as a great NBA player. He could still disappoint, as much as I hope that doesn't happen. After all, draft projections aren't exactly an exact science.

This ranking is just purely based on his player rating, right? I don't think this actually means he's projecting him as top 8.

This ranking is just purely based on his player rating, right? I don't think this actually means he's projecting him as top 8.
Correct, but if you click on his draft profile it now lists him as "lottery" rather than whatever it was before (I think it said something like mid-late 1st round).

Dion has a lot of work to do to live up to a top 10 pick. He is going to need to be in top shape, give effort all the time and figure out how to get a quicker release on the jumper. I know people fall in love with upside, but... man, that pick would scare me as a GM.
Dion shooting that rainbow jumper from beyond the NBA arc could be problematic.

Waiters is not on the public radar because he clashed badly with Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim last season. "He played no defense last year. Not some. None," Boeheim said. Still, Waiters put up 12.6 points per game despite playing just 24.1 minutes a night. There's upside here in the mid-to-late part of the first round.
RotoWorld
That Roto World person is apparently an idiot, mixing up Dion's freshman and sophomore seasons or at least combining the two. Way to do your research, Roto World.

How high can Dion Waiters go?
in.gif

Waiters is not on the public radar because he clashed badly with Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim last season. "He played no defense last year. Not some. None," Boeheim said. Still, Waiters put up 12.6 points per game despite playing just 24.1 minutes a night. There's upside here in the mid-to-late part of the first round.
RotoWorld

Is the above right? How did I miss this clash? This sounds like something from 2 years ago. Seems like he got along fine with JB. Dion wasn't thrilled about not starting but there were no blowups.

As for the defense, Dion showed real quick hands. Especially early in the season. And Dions commitment to playing defense was part of the change in attitude and maturity he showed from the prior year.

That explanation does not make sense to me.

Is the above right? How did I miss this clash? This sounds like something from 2 years ago. Seems like he got along fine with JB. Dion wasn't thrilled about not starting but there were no blowups.

As for the defense, Dion showed real quick hands. Especially early in the season. And Dions commitment to playing defense was part of the change in attitude and maturity he showed from the prior year.

That explanation does not make sense to me.
You missed nothing. Those are actual Boeheim quotes from before last season referring to Dion's freshman year. It's just sloppy reporting by RotoWorld.

Further, Dion is NOT too short to become a starting NBA shooting guard. He basically fits within an inch and is similar in size to the league's starting SGs, except for a few outliers. Dion has excellent strength and will be able to overcome the inch or two he may give up to certain players while playing at the two.

To believe otherwise, is simply not understanding Dion's size and misunderstanding the true size of the thirty plus players manning the shooting guard position in the league.

Peace

not starting games in 2 years regardless of JB'S chosen lot idiosyncrasies could be problematic.red flag. 20 +.imo. is there another two year bench guy in the top twenty?

Anybody else just watch Wade single handedly send Indian home early? Thought I was watching Waiters out there.

How high can Dion Waiters go?
in.gif

May, 24, 2012
May 24
8:27
AM ET
By Chad Ford

• A number of NBA scouts who I really respect have been telling me for more than a month that the real sleeper in this draft is Syracuse sophomore Dion Waiters.
  • One GM went even further. "There are really only two potential superstars in this draft. One is a sure thing -- freshman Anthony Davis. The other one is Waiters. He can be an electric scorer in the NBA. There's some Dwyane Wade in him."

He's going to have to learn how to flop better to be like Wade.

Now, I’m no general manager or scout, but I can’t say I agree. Waiters’ rising up draft boards so close to the lottery and draft day reminds me of fellow Orangemen Johnny Flynn and Wes Johnson doing the same. Waiters is a superior player to both, but I can’t help but notice that like the two of them, he doesn’t seem to have a definitive position and isn’t a consistent outside shooter. One GM compares him to Wade, but ESPN’s own Fran Fraschilla wrote just a few weeks ago that Waiters’ skill-set lends itself more to the point guard position that shooting guard. I see him as stuck between both, not able to play either at a maximum level but passable at each. Only time will tell, but I’m not nearly as high on him as Ford, Fraschilla or anonymous general managers seem to be. Of course, this could all just be obfuscation designed to get another team to reach on him. I usually operate from a place of ‘you shouldn’t believe anything anyone tells anybody else about the draft until the picks are announced.’

Can someone refresh my memory; I don't really remember Wes shooting up the draft boards towards the draft. I seem to remember it happening to Jonny, but I thought Wes was pretty much considered a top 5 or so pick for a while before the draft?