Game Coverage TV: ESPNU
Live Video: Watch ESPN
Radio: Syracuse IMG Network
Live Stats
Twitter: @Cuse | @Cuse_MBB
Instagram: @cusepics | @cuse_mbb
Syracuse Links Notes | News | Roster | Schedule
Wake Forest Links Notes | News | Roster | Schedule

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. – Syracuse goes for its third straight win as it heads to Wake Forest on Wednesday, Jan. 3 for a 7 p.m. tip-off at the LJVM Coliseum. The matchup is the first road test for the Orange in their 2017-18 ACC schedule.

The game will be televised on ESPNU and on the Watch ESPN app. Fans can also listen to the live broadcast on the Syracuse IMG Radio Network.

For Starters
- Syracuse (12-2, 1-0 ACC) defeated Virginia Tech, 68-56, in the ACC opener for both sides. The Orange held the Hokies, the Division I leader in field goal percentage, to just 18-of-52 from the field (.346) and out-rebounded VT, 39-26.

- Freshman Oshae Brissett posted 19 points and nine rebounds to lead the Orange. Junior Frank Howard and sophomore Tyus Battle each finished with 17 points and redshirt freshman Matthew Moyer recorded 11 points and 13 rebounds.

- Syracuse ranks second in the ACC and eighth in the nation with 6.4 blocks per game. Junior Paschal Chukwu ranks second in the ACC and 10th nationally, blocking 3.2 shots per contest. The Orange have out-rebounded their opponents by a margin of 10.6 boards per game which ranks third in the conference and fifth nationally.

- Syracuse has won all five of its prior matchups over Wake Forest. The Orange defeated the Demon Deacons, 81-76, last season in the Carrier Dome.

Scouting the Demon Deacons
- Wake Forest enters Wednesday's game with a 7-6 overall record and a 0-1 mark in ACC play. The Demon Deacons' upset bid at North Carolina fell just short in a 73-69 loss. Wake Forest holds a 4-3 record on its home court, but has lost its last home matchup to Tennessee.

- Keyshawn Woods leads Wake Forest with 15.7 points per game. Bryant Crawford (15.4 ppg.) and Doral Moore (10.0 ppg.) are the other two double-digit scorers for the Demon Deacons. Crawford has a team-high 61 assists and Moore leads Wake Forest with 7.6 boards per game.

- Danny Manning is in his fourth year as head coach at Wake Forest. Manning lead the Demon Deacons to the NCAA First Four in 2016-17, its first postseason appearance in seven seasons. As a player, Manning was an NCAA Champion, a consensus National Player of the Year, an All-American, a No. 1 overall NBA Draft Pick, an NBA All-Star and a College Basketball Hall of Famer.

So are we going to win this thing, or what?

Yes, no doubt. I haven't seen WF play yet, but based on results for each team, Cuse wins pretty comfortably IMO, by about 7, 68-61. For the same reason the Vikings could get to the SB this year, because defense travels. Look for WF to have season lows in points and shooting %, and with this zone, the O need only be average. I cannot believe they are giving points here. LGO!!!

Yes, no doubt. I haven't seen WF play yet, but based on results for each team, Cuse wins pretty comfortably IMO, by about 7, 68-61. For the same reason the Vikings could get to the SB this year, because defense travels. Look for WF to have season lows in points and shooting %, and with this zone, the O need only be average. I cannot believe they are giving points here. LGO!!!

Just a few days ago, Wake was up 4 at UNC with two minutes left, but couldn't finish down the stretch. This is going to be a very challenging game for us. I agree with Vegas that this is probably a coin flip.

They have talented scorers, esp Woods/Crawford, who are bad at defending - somewhat similar to VT - except they also have a 7-footer who averages over 2 blocks/gm

Just a few days ago, Wake was up 4 at UNC with two minutes left, but couldn't finish down the stretch. This is going to be a very challenging game for us. I agree with Vegas that this is probably a coin flip.

D has never been Roy's strength. They shot 38% from 3 that game, right at their season average, and made 11 total to keep it close. They were outrebounded badly by UNC. They are 229th in overall scoring and 219th in rebounding on the season. The SU zone will make them look like the JV.

Does Wake Forest have a message board for basketball? I was curious to read their thoughts about the game tonight. My guess is that they're confident after their near upset of UNC this weekend.

Well, Wake's center seems to be very sure of what he can do tonight:
The Demon Deacons’ center, Doral Moore, detailed to reporters that Wake Forest will attack Syracuse’s 2-3 zone like many other teams, with dribble penetration in the middle or finding a cutter at the free-throw line.

“I’ll be able to move a lot more, not too many people are going to double-team me or front me,” Moore said. “I’ll be able to move around and catch lobs if we can get into the middle of the zone. We can get any shot we want as long as we penetrate the zone and get through it, we’ll be fine. I’m excited about that.

That one handle over there sounds awfully familiar.
That's the way you're supposed to visit another team's board.

I hope the team isn't as over confident as some fans. This game makes me nervous.
depends on how much wake has improved - they lost to some bad teams at home earlier in the season

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom