Was that the greatest game of basketball ever played? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Was that the greatest game of basketball ever played?

You are confusing biggest win with best played. I am quite obviously not saying this was the biggest win ever. I am saying Virginia played better than any basketball team ever has.

Virginia shot 75% from three! Syracuse is a top 20 defense but that doesn't even matter. Virginia shot 75% from three! Steph Curry shot less than 70% in the 3 point contest with nobody guarding him.
ok you got me. you're right. it is the best game of basketball any team has ever played in the history of man. hugely compelling argument, i am 100% convinced that i have never seen a basketball team play better than today, even considering they were losing at halftime.

Mother of god

The #1 defensive team in the country also just shot 70% from 3.

I know this is an SU board, but that game really had nothing to do with SU. Virginia was absolutely unbeatable. I can be prone to hyperbole, but don't think I have ever seen a college basketball team play better.

They destroyed us at every level including coaching.

I don't buy that the defense was bad on all the makes. It's hard to hit that percentage unguarded let alone in a game setting. I also am in the minority but our O cost us. UVA made shots in the first half too. You can shoot a lot more freely when you know a miss won't cost you because you know the opponent can't score.

I don't know about all that, but that was definitely a possibility for the best shooting display I've ever seen; first half included. They were turning the ball over like crazy in the first half and literally had like zero shots inside the 3 point line and they were still right there with us.

The #1 defensive team in the country also just shot 70% from 3.

I know this is an SU board, but that game really had nothing to do with SU. Virginia was absolutely unbeatable. I can be prone to hyperbole, but don't think I have ever seen a college basketball team play better.
this is their year - if they don't win it all this year...

their usual defense with that many shooters. their three point shooting is unbelievable. their whole team shoots like boeheim

Best half of shooting I have ever witnessed. Just insane. And their defense in the second half was just as impressive. We could barely get a shot off.
the sound of the crowd was unbelievable. 25,000 mumbling are you ing kidding me in unison. i was doing it at home. i turned into the atlanta hawks bench during larry bird's greatest game.

boeheim walked away doing the woooof exhale face at one point

B game at best? That was unequivocally the best shooting game that UVA will ever have from 3. They will never shoot better than that again. It was the outlier of outliers.

If they shoot 35% from 3 they would have scored 27 less points (offensive rebounds aside). Just think about that for a bit. 54 of their points were from 3, in only 25 shots. That’s better than 100% point efficiency if the shots were taken from 2.

They've shot 35% or worse only 9 times this year out of 29 games.

They shot 40% or better 17 times

They shot 50% or better 6 times

I missed the second half. Usually I'd say that's a good thing knowing how the game turned out. In this case, I almost want to watch that second half.

They went from 10-15 (I don't remember the score then, but it was still a ballgame, and we were saying "they're about to regress to the mean") to 18-24 in the blink of an eye. And most of those came against a good defense. It's worth watching.

That was the best three point shooting display i've ever seen, but UVA was playing a so-so Syracuse team who seemed to dare them to shoot or didn't care if they shot from three. Still, 75% is ridiculous. That said I believe that the greatest basketball game ever played was this:

1985 NCAA Championship- Villanova vs Georgetown. Villanova shot 78.6 % (22/28) from the field and 81.7% (22/27) from the FT line. No idea how many would've been three's back then as there was no 3 pt shot in college. All this while playing pretty good D against that era's best team.

Also- honorable mention to UNLV's championship blowout of Duke 103-73 in 1990. That was just complete dominance that I haven't seen since in the championship game.

I missed the second half. Usually I'd say that's a good thing knowing how the game turned out. In this case, I almost want to watch that second half.

I would have really enjoyed watching a team that hot under different circumstances.

no...the greatest basketball game ever played was on March 12-13, 2009!

my god they're 1st in 3 point shooting and 3rd in 3 point shooting against nationally

Sooooo, maybe extend the zone from the opening tip?

Nahhhhhh.

Not sure of the exact date, but per Wiki, in 1003 this happened:

King Robert II (the Pious) invades Burgundy, but fails. After this fiasco Robert repudiates his second wife, Bertha of Burgundy, and marries Constance of Arles who becomes queen consort of France.
Repudiates just means has nothing to do with. This could be worse, but still sad, since Robert and Bertha were second cousins.

I would have really enjoyed watching a team that hot under different circumstances.
i actually got to that point. there really wasn't that much time where i was mad. there was a few minutes of OH FFS and flailing around like a duke point guard but then i quickly got to ok lets see if they can keep this up