Was this the BIGGEST MOMENT in SU Football history? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Was this the BIGGEST MOMENT in SU Football history?

It was a great moment, but as example, any “moment” in the ‘92-‘93 season was as important. That season solidified our brand in a year the hoops team was on probation. That season helped recruit the team of McNabb’s first years (‘96-‘98). We had a frustrating loss to a good Ohio State team, showed the world we could stand toe to toe with one of the better Miami teams in their storied history, won a great Fiesta Bowl over a very good Colorado team that included some exciting ST play. Wasn’t that the year Graves started the brawl on the WVU sideline? The late win over Texas in the Dome where Graves laid out to catch the game tying 2pt. conversion pass from DWalker. They broke the Dome. KMitchell from nose tackle lite up Pitt QB A VanPelt, knocking him out and allowing us to key on C Martin, back when he was known as the razor.

Other underrated moments for me include the Kickoff Classic dismantling of a well regarded Wisconsin team, shutting down Heisman winner Ron Dayne.

Not sure of its significance, especially since it wound up a loss, but the ‘94-‘95 comeback against Oklahoma that featured “the play” by Bryce Bevel. Always remember that gut check.

Great recount.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Donovan to Brominski vs VPI, but that's another great "moment"

No doubt a good win, but in my opinion, great moments more likely occur when something is accomplished in a great season.

Owens 2pt conversion capped a perfect regular season.

Rob Moore 80 yards was sooooo much more an important moment in this programs history than it looks on paper. You just had to be alive st that moment.

Going toe to toe with a very good Auburn team in the Sugar Bowl forcing Pat Dye to play for a tie was huge. (It's too often looked at the wrong way).

Kirby Dar Dar almost single handedly changed the way Steve Spurrier scheduled for 20 years.

Mine Siano's catch.

1959 NC

And those are just game accomplishments.

Coach Mac coach of the years.

Ernie Davis Heisman.

Donnie M finishing 2nd in Heisman.

One offs in a 4-8 season are fun, but they don't mean much to me. If this win is part of a foundation for a great future- it moves up the list...but right now it's not up there for me.

Kirby's opening KO return vs Gators is possibly the loudest I have ever heard the Dome.

Intimidating.

Later in game, Tim Sandquist lays out a UF WR coming across the middle in a hit that would be illegal today.

Gators were done at that moment.

It's sad to think a 1-off crazy upset, v the backup QB, in a 4-8 season...is being debated as the greatest moment in the history of this (once?) proud football program.

If posters here were trolling other boards to link 'look how sad blank has become' threads, you guys would be all over it.

The Hoop 'Borg'' infestation of the football board is complete. It's been assimilated.

Ridiculous.

No, sad...

Don't forget, we beat a ranked Va Tech the year before under Dino.
So, at least it's a "2-off" so far.
If we keep getting a big scalp every year, that's a sign of progress.
Once we have some proper depth, we are going to beat people more regularly.
Yes, we have to improve the running game, the O line play.
Our secondary has gotten bigger and faster.
We are getting the right kind of receiver and QB prospects. I mean, people are forgetting that Culpepper was kind of a big deal when we got him, too.

Although a stellar win, not even sure it was our greatest moment vs Clemson.

The 41-0 thrashing that McNabb team delivered in the 1996 Gator Bowl before what was basically a Clemson home crowd was an absolute power statement.

No, not a vintage Clemson team, but it was a flag in the Southern sod for Northeast football and a sign of things to come for those McNabb teams.

Yeah, but we needed a win like that today a lot more than we did in 1998.

Don't forget, we beat a ranked Va Tech the year before under Dino.
So, at least it's a "2-off" so far.
If we keep getting a big scalp every year, that's a sign of progress.
Once we have some proper depth, we are going to beat people more regularly.
Yes, we have to improve the running game, the O line play.
Our secondary has gotten bigger and faster.
We are getting the right kind of receiver and QB prospects. I mean, people are forgetting that Culpepper was kind of a big deal when we got him, too.
Yup. Dino is doing his job...we need to do ours and be patient. Quality depth is probably the biggest factor, and only time will improve that. Depth will be better in 2018, but I'm looking at 2019 for the year when we'll have the right quality depth across all positions, and the right players, in the right spots. 2019 back in the top 25.

I’ve been at the Dome for a LOT of big games since 1981. That play was the LOUDEST I have ever heard the Dome. Ever

The Dome was absolutely intimidating from the late 1980s through the late 1990s. Many, many amazing games and terrific teams that usually fell just a game or two short of true greatness.

In recent times, the best environment of the last couple decades, IMO, was the 17-13 loss to Florida State. They traveled really well and had many fans up for the game, and they were genial and respectful of our history. Nice, knowledgeable folks. And it was a Saturday night game, with a 7 PM start. Holy crap, people were DRUNK. They still had the train running from Armory Square back then, and it was insane fun!

That game was the loudest I have heard it for football since the 90s, and it was such a great experience, even though we didn't quite pull it off.

The Dome was absolutely intimidating from the late 1980s through the late 1990s. Many, many amazing games and terrific teams that usually fell just a game or two short of true greatness.

In recent times, the best environment of the last couple decades, IMO, was the 17-13 loss to Florida State. They traveled really well and had many fans up for the game, and they were genial and respectful of our history. Nice, knowledgeable folks. And it was a Saturday night game, with a 7 PM start. Holy crap, people were DRUNK. They still had the train running from Armory Square back then, and it was insane fun!

That game was the loudest I have heard it for football since the 90s, and it was such a great experience, even though we didn't quite pull it off.
I still say the game in 92 when we nearly knocked off #1 Miami was the loudest I've personally experienced. The building literally vibrated. The clock management at the end was atrocious, but what a game against such a great, and hated team.