Washington needs more run | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Washington needs more run

Games like this are just very frustrating.

The only way a team like Colgate stays with us is by getting open threes and bleeding clock. We allow teams to do this..all the time.

It's also scary because kids grow up wanting to be like Steph. The zone can still be effective because if you give up the mid-range, that is now the shot nobody practices. However, we don't seem willing to do that yet Hop beat Kansas with that adjustment in his first year as HC.
Hop is a wizard. How did we let him go? Let's go back and look at what the posters here had to say about Hop. Now that, would be fun.

Hop is a wizard. How did we let him go? Let's go back and look at what the posters here had to say about Hop. Now that, would be fun.
Not saying that. I am saying that the zone should be moving towards an ideological shift to take away the 3 ball and allow the mid-range.

Instead we stay allowing teams like Colgate to pass it around for an hour until someone pops open for a three. Don't even get me started on the nonsense that ensues when someone gets it to the foul line and have a willing passer there.

i think most posters here said mike hopkins should go into the world and get some head coaching experience. like 10 years ago.
you think he still be better served sitting co pilot ? who was wrong here ?

What is the point of playing Frank Howard and Battle 40 minutes vs Colgate -- a team that is no threat to beat us? Washington played 5 minutes , looked good. This is exactly the kind of game against a non- threat team where he should be given some run to gain some experience. We'll likely need him in some ACC games when foul trouble hits. After watching JB for a long time it won't change and it's maddening.

i think most posters here said mike hopkins should go into the world and get some head coaching experience. like 10 years ago.
you think he still be better served sitting co pilot ? who was wrong here ?
No. That isn't true. Don't move the goal posts. First, 10 years ago, I thought Hop should have taken another job. So, wrong there. Second, after the 4-5 record during JB's suspension, a lot of posters, a lot, wanted anyone else to be the coach. He beats Kansas and now he knows more about zone defense than Jb does,

Thorpe was hurt. Or did you not know that. The guy with the 1000 wins, he was more impressed with Thorpe.

Thorpe dribbling looked like freshman Cooney. He wasn't an acc caliber player.

But yea Boeheim has 1000 wins so we can never 2nd guess anything he does.

Not saying that. I am saying that the zone should be moving towards an ideological shift to take away the 3 ball and allow the mid-range.

Instead we stay allowing teams like Colgate to pass it around for an hour until someone pops open for a three. Don't even get me started on the nonsense that ensues when someone gets it to the foul line and have a willing passer there.

Self contradictory.

If you allow the mid-range, most times that will come from the foul line. As much as Kansas hurt us with the 3 ball, they hurt us equally with Vick, etc. in the lane.

Self contradictory.

If you allow the mid-range, most times that will come from the foul line. As much as Kansas hurt us with the 3 ball, they hurt us equally with Vick, etc. in the lane.
It's not self contradictory at all.

Notice I said willing passer. Let that dude shoot a slightly contested mid-range shot. DONT let him kick it out for an open three.

It's not self contradictory at all.

Notice I said willing passer. Let that dude shoot a slightly contested mid-range shot. DONT let him kick it out for an open three.
Are you arguing with yourself? :)

Thorpe dribbling looked like freshman Cooney. He wasn't an acc caliber player.

But yea Boeheim has 1000 wins so we can never 2nd guess anything he does.
No. People can second guess. That is what sports talk and message boards are for. But that doesn't mean that the poster won't be called out either.You expect that your opinion shouldn't go unchallenged? If Jb is fair game with a 1000 wins, how can you not be?

^^^
This. We gave up too many open looks for sure, but the fact we couldn't put 80 up on Colgate is by far the greater concern.

But it's not surprising.
I though it was a less than inspired effort on both ends of the court. But that happens in the run up to conference play to a lot of teams. People sounding the alarm over this are funny.

I though it was a less than inspired effort on both ends of the court. But that happens in the run up to conference play to a lot of teams. People sounding the alarm over this are funny.
only thing I'd maybe sound the alarm over is Franks 1st half performance esp following directly after what he did in the ucon game

only thing I'd maybe sound the alarm over is Franks 1st half performance esp following directly after what he did in the ucon game
His turnovers are usually so ugly that they stand out. He does need to tighten up his decision making.

No. People can second guess. That is what sports talk and message boards are for. But that doesn't mean that the poster won't be called out either.You expect that your opinion shouldn't go unchallenged? If Jb is fair game with a 1000 wins, how can you not be?
Dash, you’re on fire in this thread...and right on point.
In the last week we’ve seen Kansas and Duke, #’s 1 & 2, both go down to lesser teams. This time of year is always tricky and honestly after the big emotional win vs UConn, i was a little worried our young team would struggle.
2nd guessing JB is not the issue here, IMO. It’s the incessant whining, bitchin, and moaning about long-established issues like the 2-3 zone, and JB’s stubbornness, etc.
I mean, he’s only been going this for 40 years so... what the hell does he know?
How about we simmer down, let the season happen, and watch as our HOF’er hopefully get us back to another good season? LGO

Syracuse was bad defensively last year. The years before that Syracuse was 63rd, 31st, 31st, 6th, and 24th in defensive efficiency. I doubt there are five teams in the country that had as good a five year run as Syracuse. People have good games against man defense, bench warmers hit six three pointers against man defense, teams play man defense and lose to inferior teams all the time. (You'd have to go all the way back to earlier today to see a number one team playing man lose to an unranked team.) none of this is specific to the zone, and the numbers show pretty definitively that syracuses zone is as good as anyone else's man (given the personnel).

Games like this are just very frustrating.

The only way a team like Colgate stays with us is by getting open threes and bleeding clock. We allow teams to do this..all the time.

It's also worrisome because kids grow up wanting to be like Steph. The zone can still be effective because if you give up the mid-range, that is now the shot nobody practices. However, we don't seem willing to do that yet Hop beat Kansas with that adjustment in his first year as HC.

Hop used our game as a blue print, so he had an advantage. The difference between the two games was Washington's execution on offense and KU only getting 3 out of Graham, which was the big adjustment in Hop's zone. He didn't allow KU 's shooters any open looks. It was a perfectly executed gameplan.

Had we not given KU such a lead in the first, we may have had a chance.

Syracuse was bad defensively last year. The years before that Syracuse was 63rd, 31st, 31st, 6th, and 24th in defensive efficiency. I doubt there are five teams in the country that had as good a five year run as Syracuse. People have good games against man defense, bench warmers hit six three pointers against man defense, teams play man defense and lose to inferior teams all the time. (You'd have to go all the way back to earlier today to see a number one team playing man lose to an unranked team.) none of this is specific to the zone, and the numbers show pretty definitively that syracuses zone is as good as anyone else's man (given the personnel).
good post. well reasoned . but you're basically saying this coaching staff doesn't recruit well enuf to rank us in the top 25 ?

good post. well reasoned . but you're basically saying this coaching staff doesn't recruit well enuf to rank us in the top 25 ?

When they were on sanctions, sure. I think we’ll be in the top 25 next year. Talent level and depth is being built back up.

Abandon-thread1.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom