Watch Out! SU could be next! | Syracusefan.com

Watch Out! SU could be next!

Hoo's That

Living Legend
Tucked away as the last paragraph of Quint's discussion of JHU's ranking was this little gem,

"#WeWantMore plays Virginia is next (March 23, 6 p.m. on ESPN3). Unless further negotiations occur, these two teams will not play in 2020 — and that annoys me. Hopkins will renew with Navy but not Virginia. Fans love rivalries. You can't put a price tag on rivalries. We must preserve old-school rivalries in the face of conference loyalties."

We've played them continuously since 1948, when the USILA put us in the same division (conference).

Tucked away as the last paragraph of Quint's discussion of JHU's ranking was this little gem,

"#WeWantMore plays Virginia is next (March 23, 6 p.m. on ESPN3). Unless further negotiations occur, these two teams will not play in 2020 — and that annoys me. Hopkins will renew with Navy but not Virginia. Fans love rivalries. You can't put a price tag on rivalries. We must preserve old-school rivalries in the face of conference loyalties."

We've played them continuously since 1948, when the USILA put us in the same division (conference).

Not sure what's behind this decision and maybe it will only be a year or two hiatus as I'm sure both the players and fans of these schools would want this series to continue.

SU couldn't be so lucky. In all seriousness it appears to be continued issues with the B10 schedule and tournament that is forcing them to add/drop traditional rivals. We haven't really had to deal much with that as these other schools ie Colgate, Albany, Army Cornell etc have really wanted to continue to their series with us and are OK shifting their schedules to accomodate for the most part. Even though Albany really wants us to play there in the very near future. Personally I wouldn't mind SU scaling it back it a bit as we previously dropped Loyola and someone else who was a regular when we first joined the Big East about a decade ago. Odd that UVA and JHU wouldn't be able to work something out but I assume it will only be a short hiatus before both school get it back on the schedule. As for us, Petro and Desko from what I have been told both really want the game to continue pretty much indefinitely so I don't see any changes at least anytime soon.

SU couldn't be so lucky. In all seriousness it appears to be continued issues with the B10 schedule and tournament that is forcing them to add/drop traditional rivals. We haven't really had to deal much with that as these other schools ie Colgate, Albany, Army Cornell etc have really wanted to continue to their series with us and are OK shifting their schedules to accomodate for the most part. Even though Albany really wants us to play there in the very near future. Personally I wouldn't mind SU scaling it back it a bit as we previously dropped Loyola and someone else who was a regular when we first joined the Big East about a decade ago. Odd that UVA and JHU wouldn't be able to work something out but I assume it will only be a short hiatus before both school get it back on the schedule. As for us, Petro and Desko from what I have been told both really want the game to continue pretty much indefinitely so I don't see any changes at least anytime soon.

We dropped Loyola, UMass, and Princeton to join the BE.

We dropped Loyola, UMass, and Princeton to join the BE.

Yeah it's to bad really, Syracuse had a nice rivalry with all of those schools during the 90's into the 2000's. I don't know what the schedule looks like in the next few years but I'd be in favor of adding a home in home with one of those schools instead of Rutgers.

Yeah it's to bad really, Syracuse had a nice rivalry with all of those schools during the 90's into the 2000's. I don't know what the schedule looks like in the next few years but I'd be in favor of adding a home in home with one of those schools instead of Rutgers.

Is Garber Field at UMass still a goat track?

I think it's a case of Petro's wanting a semi-sure win on the schedule much more than not being able to work out a date.

I think it's a case of Petro's wanting a semi-sure win on the schedule much more than not being able to work out a date.

I wouldn't exactly say that Tiffany has loaded up UVa's schedule with Top OOC opponents.

I wouldn't exactly say that Tiffany has loaded up UVa's schedule with Top OOC opponents.
Who's seat is currently hotter? Who needs wins more?

More importantly, IIRC the only teams who we played with any regularity that we've dropped since 2015 are UMd and Drexel. I have no info on why we didn't play Drexel this year. We dropped Navy in 1996 after playing them for 44 years. Tierney dropped us in 2009 (series started in 1995) just before he left Princeton. We picked up Cornell as a replacement. Last year we shifted back to Princeton when the contract with Cornell ended.

Switching Princeton for Cornell doesn't exactly seem like an upgrade these days.

Virginia plays two OOC games that we generally consider to be National Contenders: Loyola and Hopkins
Hopkins plays four: Virginia, UNC, Loyola, and Syracuse.

Would love to know what the Big10 is throwing at JHU because from a pure lacrosse standpoint it was a brain dead decision to play in that conference.

Would love to know what the Big10 is throwing at JHU because from a pure lacrosse standpoint it was a brain dead decision to play in that conference.
Brain dead decision by the ACC not to add them as an associate member.

ACC never pursued them, right or wrong they don't want any partial or associate members.
Yeah, I know, but that's just stupid, IMO. Whose sensibilities are going to be hurt? Swofford's? Some university president? Get over it. Swofford is going to take some crap if the lack of an AQ comes back to bite us (well, bite Duke/UNC/UVa).

I get that it's "only" lacrosse, but jeez. Have a little foresight...

Yeah, I know, but that's just stupid, IMO. Whose sensibilities are going to be hurt? Swofford's? Some university president? Get over it. Swofford is going to take some crap if the lack of an AQ comes back to bite us (well, bite Duke/UNC/UVa).

Whoever wins the ACCT will have at least two victories over ranked ACC teams (and maybe 3 wins if they come out of the 4/5 hole). Unless they have a losing record, the "Fake ACC Champ" should always get in.

Whoever wins the ACCT will have at least two victories over ranked ACC teams (and maybe 3 wins if they come out of the 4/5 hole). Unless they have a losing record, the "Fake ACC Champ" should always get in.
I totally get it. It's just unnecessary, IMO, to rely on a "Fake ACC Champ" to get in. Also, with an AQ, if there is only one "deserving" team. and that team gets upset in he ACCT, the league would get another team in.

i think the assumption was at some point the ACC will get an internal member to add Lax and that will give them back the AQ. As Extreme noted unless a team that wins the ACC tourney is just having a terrible year or is under .500 there almost always going to get in. As for JHU, I get why some people wanted them in but to me it would have been overkill, I mean the ACC is hard enough do we really need to add JHU to the mix?

i think the assumption was at some point the ACC will get an internal member to add Lax and that will give them back the AQ. As Extreme noted unless a team that wins the ACC tourney is just having a terrible year or is under .500 there almost always going to get in. As for JHU, I get why some people wanted them in but to me it would have been overkill, I mean the ACC is hard enough do we really need to add JHU to the mix?

When Maryland left, we should have replaced them with UMass instead of Louisville. ;):rolleyes:

I get it, but it would be the same if MD hadn't left - except we'd have the AQ to fall back on. Sorry - not having the AQ is just a pet peeve of mine.

Brain dead decision by the ACC not to add them as an associate member.
ACC never pursued them, right or wrong they don't want any partial or associate members.

They joined the B1G because UMd asked them to. JHU would do whatever it had to do to keep playing UMd. That is their rivalry. Every other team on their schedule is just a team that they play and can be dropped (like UVa is in 2020 after >70 years). They wouldn't have joined the ACC even if we had asked them.

The ACC needs Ga Tech and/or NCSU to start teams (they have the most favorable Title IX situations) to get the AQ back because no one outside the ACC is willing to step into the meat grinder. We could have asked Utah, but even if we did they'd have said no. (in Utah's case travel was immaterial to their decision because they would have to go to the East Coast and East Coast teams would have to go to SLC regardless of which conference they joined).

Why is that?

The most recent news is UVa will play UMd in place of Hopkins next Spring.

It is also being reported in a Tiffany podcast, that ACC league games will move to the end of the season

Last edited: