Watching Cuse-ECU | Syracusefan.com

Watching Cuse-ECU

LeMoyneCuse

All American
Was the 1989 team one of the most frustrating squads of the Coach Mac era? I've watched a few of these games on TWC. Just feels like a tear your hair out kind of team.

McPherson, Philcox, Identity Crisis, Graves.

That's pretty much how I'd sum up 1989 compared to the years around it.

My freshman year... it was a frustrating year compared to the years that followed.

Micheal Owens delivered as the full time featured back for the first time in his career. But Scharr was a poor system fit, and was actually worse that year than Mark McDonald [who was limited himself]. We got a nice win over Georgia in the bowl game, but thank god for Marvin Graves the following year...

I still remember McDonald being voted the team captain the next year, even though he didn't start, a true testament to his character. For me though, the next year was probably more vexing. Being close to USC at the half in Graves and Conley's first game, the 2! consecutive ties against Michigan State and Pitt, the loss to PSU in the last game for almost 20 years, the loss to Tulane... Oh, and we lost Coach Mac at the end of the year. At least we beat Arizona in the Aloha Bowl, saw the coming out party for Graves and the omen of what was to come.

Last edited:
It's been interesting to watch all the games from this season in recent weeks. Wasn't yet into SU football the first time around. Reminds me a little of 1999; poor Billy Scharr struggled for long stretches. And apparently that "best offensive line in America" that Dale and Dave were talking about during the opening game wasn't as good as it was cracked up to be.

Not a great season considering all the talent. I guess our few holes were just at the wrong positions.

Ugh, East Carolina - what an annoying program they were/are. I remember McNabb's first home game in 1995 we came off that great win at North Carolina, stormed out to a 21-0 lead, and then ECU went on an absurd aerial attack and won.

eao1115 said:
Ugh, East Carolina - what an annoying program they were/are. I remember McNabb's first home game in 1995 we came off that great win at North Carolina, stormed out to a 21-0 lead, and then ECU went on an absurd aerial attack and won.

The 1991 loss was equally depressing. I mean they came out of nowhere to be very good that year, but so were we. And it was in the Dome.

Our final regular season game in 1989 was against Louisville in Tokyo. It's too bad that the internet didn't exist then, I would have loved to have read TexanMark's tailgate guide to that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom