Waters article on Southerland Appeal | Syracusefan.com

Waters article on Southerland Appeal

as someone noted in the other thread, the impending blizzard might just prevent the hearing from taking place tomorrow

It still blows my mind that they can bring up an issue from a previous term.

Hoping for the best but never know with our University. If they want to make an example of him while other students who aren't athletes are doing the same thing with no repercussions then that's sad.

Hoping for the best but never know with our University. If they want to make an example of him while other students who aren't athletes are doing the same thing with no repercussions then that's sad.
I'm sure kids are brought up on plagiarism allegations all the time. Harvard just booted something like 50 kids for cheating on a test last year.

I'm sure kids are brought up on plagiarism allegations all the time. Harvard just booted something like 50 kids for cheating on a test last year.

I don't know any of the details but if the rumors of a paragraph or whatever being written by a tutor than kids do that all the time. It's different than fully plagiarizing a paper or cheating on a test.

Can you just picture being called into JB's office out of the blue and being told the academic police have a term paper you wrote last year and they're charging you with cheating in writing it. I think you're head might explode. Who keeps year old papers and then comes after you a year later? The whole thing is bizarre. Given the big snowstorm forecast for tomorrow, what are the odds they postpone the hearing and further delay this whole thing?

Can you just picture being called into JB's office out of the blue and being told the academic police have a term paper you wrote last year and they're charging you with cheating in writing it. I think you're head might explode. Who keeps year old papers and then comes after you a year later? The whole thing is bizarre. Given the big snowstorm forecast for tomorrow, what are the odds they postpone the hearing and further delay this whole thing?
At this rate any reason to postpone is a good reason.

I hope the student representative on this committee is a sports fan because I expect the faculty representative on the committee to be against James due to protecting the academic integrity of Syracuse University, honestly IMO and I have zero inside information he has no chance to overcome this appeal unless the professor who got the plagiarized paper supported giving James a break and let's him redo the paper.

I hope the student representative on this committee is a sports fan because I expect the faculty representative to be against James due the academic integrity of Syracuse University, honestly IMO and I have zero inside information he has no chance to overcome this appeal unless the professor who got the plagiarized paper supported giving James a break and let's him redo the paper.
That's fine. But it would be a drastic punishment to suspend him for the rest of the season. What happens if the appeal is lost? That's the question we will find out. I'm assuming this is not an ongoing issue.

That's fine. But it would be a drastic punishment to suspend him for the rest of the season. What happens if the appeal is lost? That's the question we will find out. I'm assuming this is not a ongoing issue.
I agree its drastic to suspend him for the rest of the season, but honestly we have to assume he needs those credits from the class he is alleged to have cheated on to maintain his eligibility or else James could have accepted an F from the class and maintained his eligibility assuming he was above a 2.0 GPA. The NCAA can't suspend a kid from playing if he is caught plagiarizing its Syracuse University's decision as too what punishment James would get for that violation.

I don't know any of the details but if the rumors of a paragraph or whatever being written by a tutor than kids do that all the time. It's different than fully plagiarizing a paper or cheating on a test.

Do you really believe that he would have written an entire paper, except for one single paragraph that was written by a tutor. I don't know what the real story is, but I suspect if its about one paragraph, its really about the one paragraph they are quite certain they can prove he didn't write.

I agree its drastic to suspend him for the rest of the season, but honestly we have to assume he needs those credits from the class he is alleged to have cheated on to maintain his eligibility or else James could have accepted an F from the class and maintained his eligibility assuming he was above a 2.0 GPA. The NCAA can't suspend a kid from playing if he is caught plagiarizing its Syracuse University's decision as too what punishment James would get for that violation.

In most cases you are essentially expelled for a semester (if not longer).

Just like you can't be a little pregnant, I don't think you can cheat "a little bit". My guess is it's all or nothing for James. I don't see why a school would want to be in the business of judging the severity of cheating, if that's what they determine.

In most cases you are essentially expelled for a semester (if not longer).

Just like you can't be a little pregnant, I don't think you can cheat "a little bit". My guess is it's all or nothing for James. I don't see why a school would want to be in the business of judging the severity of cheating, if that's what they determine.
I understand your point but if James didn't need those credits to maintain the required NCAA GPA to compete the discipline in this matter would be left completely to Syracuse University and the NCAA wouldn't have any say to any punishment for James. I agree that the punishment for plagiarizing best case scenario typically is a 1 semester suspension and academic probation, but Syracuse could choose any punishment they deemed appropriate. The NCAA has no say as to the punishment James gets assuming he has GPA that is above the NCAA requirement.

I understand your point but if James didn't need those credits to maintain the required NCAA GPA to compete the discipline in this matter would be left completely to Syracuse University and the NCAA wouldn't have any say to any punishment for James. I agree that the punishment for plagiarizing best case scenario typically is a 1 semester suspension and academic probation, but Syracuse could choose any punishment they deemed appropriate. The NCAA has no say as to the punishment James gets assuming he has GPA that is above the NCAA requirement.

I agree that the school can punish him any way they choose. But I doubt the school would want to stray from it's precedent.

Do you really believe that he would have written an entire paper, except for one single paragraph that was written by a tutor. I don't know what the real story is, but I suspect if its about one paragraph, its really about the one paragraph they are quite certain they can prove he didn't write.
you also have to consider if the professor did know it wasn't written by him, and just 1 paragraph in a lengthy paper, why didn't the professor just have him re-do it, or at very worst take an F in the class? There is a reason this has gone this far. Hey the ones who oversee everything have shown just how corrupt they can get , just look at what they were doing down at Miami

you also have to consider if the professor did know it wasn't written by him, and just 1 paragraph in a lengthy paper, why didn't the professor just have him re-do it, or at very worst take an F in the class? There is a reason this has gone this far. Hey the ones who oversee everything have shown just how corrupt they can get , just look at what they were doing down at Miami
A damn witch hunt.

Does "the charges must be proven “by a preponderance of the evidence.’’ mean a computer program that indcates plagiarism alone would not meet this criteria? There would have to be other phyiscal evidence and or testimony?

It just really means that the evidence has to show that it is more likely than not that he cheated. That doesn't translate easily to formulas. If that computer program uses algorithms to show that is statistically x% that the two passages are the same with just a few parts rewritten, well I'd say he's probably screwed. On the other hand, if the two paragraphs are word for word the same, you'd better believe they wouldn't need any other evidence. At the end of the day it's just people listening to the facts and taking a guess.