Waters made a great point in his article today... | Syracusefan.com

Waters made a great point in his article today...

jr4750

All American
The BE always started the conversation with Cuse and UCONN. The ACC will forever be Duke, UNC first and then whatever is left. I think it is immensely important that we begin our tenure powerfully in order to gain as much branding as possible. Increasing our marketing in NYC to counter a possible Rutgers move is important as well...

I just hope that we realize internally that we must make a big push now so that we don't fall to the basement, if only temporarily...

PS. I realize hoops is probably a safe bet to avoid that happening...

Right!
Of course!
The problem is this move is a DEBACLE in terms of NYC media attention.
The Orange will become all but completely irrelevant in the market.

Right!
Of course!

Not really.

The BE always started the conversation with Cuse and UCONN. The ACC will forever be Duke, UNC first and then whatever is left. I think it is immensely important that we begin our tenure powerfully in order to gain as much branding as possible. Increasing our marketing in NYC to counter a possible Rutgers move is important as well...

I just hope that we realize internally that we must make a big push now so that we don't fall to the basement, if only temporarily...

PS. I realize hoops is probably a safe bet to avoid that happening...

and i used to think waters knew what he was talking about.

Right!
Of course!

Yea, the 2017 ACC tourney at the Garden with a semifinal Friday of Duke, UNC, Syracuse, and Maryland would really be a yawner. The media wouldn't have any interest in something like that.

We are going to play in the NYC area, every single year in Bball, as we do now. Whether it be games with St Johns or pre-season tourneys. TGD isn't giving up his trips to the big city anytime soon.

I don't see the ACC tourney ever being played at MSG!!! I don't think the Big East is going anywhere, maybe at the Barclay's in Brooklyn or in Newark but not at MSG.

I don't see the ACC tourney ever being played at MSG!!! I don't think the Big East is going anywhere, maybe at the Barclay's in Brooklyn or in Newark but not at MSG.
The (Leftover) BE will want MSG for their tournament, but will MSG want them? Depending upon the composition of the BE going forward, and the empty seats that that may entail, MSG may want out of the contract. It takes 2 to tango.

I don't see MSG getting rid of the Big East for a rotating ACC tourney that would be every 3 years at best

I don't see MSG getting rid of the Big East for a rotating ACC tourney that would be every 3 years at best
Depends on whether UConn is still there. SU, UConn and St Johns were the only teams that brought numbers to the tournament anyhow.

If SU, Pitt, and Uconn are in the ACC, they will have security drag the BE out of MSG so the ACC can play their conf tourney there whenever they want to.

Even without UConn, they will still prefer the ACC.

The BE is about to become the catholic league, and MSG will be more than happy to have them, that is of course if the ACC does not want to be there first.

I believe the current BE contract with MSG expires in 2016. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the 2017 ACC tourney in MSG.

If MSG doesn't want the ACCT, hold it at the Barclays. Have fun with your Star Trek Convention MSG!

Syracuse Basketball will become more relevant. Hard to believe but NC Duke Maryland are equal to Uconn Gtown and VU Trust me we are going to be AOK

"The BE always started the conversation with Cuse and UCONN."

This is not true. This is only how things are perceived now. Uconn was a big east afterthought for nearly ten years from the conference's inception. They are a headliner in the conference now because they forced the issue by being a great program. If we move to the ACC and dont dominate right away it doesn't mean we will always be secondary. Also, who cares if we are as long as we are successful? I could care less if Duke and UNC headline the conference but we win.

"The BE always started the conversation with Cuse and UCONN."

This is not true. This is only how things are perceived now. Uconn was a big east afterthought for nearly ten years from the conference's inception. They are a headliner in the conference now because they forced the issue by being a great program. If we move to the ACC and dont dominate right away it doesn't mean we will always be secondary. Also, who cares if we are as long as we are successful? I could care less if Duke and UNC headline the conference but we win.
It could be argued that this was the case over the last two decades. Four national championships. Twelve Conference Championships. Nine Big East Tournaments.

Not to mention epic ranked showdowns to include the six overtime game ;)