Way Too Early - 2014 Opponents - Boston College | Syracusefan.com

Way Too Early - 2014 Opponents - Boston College

Crusty

Living Legend
While I wait for us to win the BB NC, to pass the time, I decided to take a look at our 2014 football opponents. Please add any corrections or comments you may have.

Boston College (7-6) (4-4) (Power I, Pro-Set, 3-wide)
Boston College got the most from last year’s team by being shamelessly one dimensional. They gave the ball to Andre Williams and tried to shorten games. BC gave the ball an average of 27.3 times a game to their #44 – 8 more than Virginia’s Kevin Parks the next highest in the ACC at 18.9 per game. BC ran 69% of the time and looked a lot like GT without the option. Only the Ramblin’ Wrecks had fewer total plays, fewer passing plays and more rushing yards vs. ACC opponents.

The Eagles finished 11th in the ACC vs. conference opponents in passing behind only GT’s triple option team. They finished 12th in total offense in conference games.

This is a well-coached disciplined team that led the league with the fewest penalties in the ACC and third fewest in the nation! BC is also careful with the football finishing with a small plus net TO margin. The Eagles won’t beat themselves – we are going to have to beat them.

While they have a nice recruiting class including a 4 star RB, 2014 will be a rebuilding year for the Eagles as they graduate 5 starters on offense, including starting QB Rettig and Williams. They lose 4 on defense, including their two leading tacklers and two leading tacklers for loss. I wouldn’t look for a big drop off in run production nor a major change in their offensive approach.

Offense
As mentioned, BC loses 5 starters including starting RB Andre Williams the nation’s leading rusher and Heisman candidate. The Eagles have some nice options for QB and a widely recruited 4 star decommitt RB from Rutgers. A large group of young receivers will probably generate a bit more out of the passing game as well. The Eagles will b e hard pressed to replicate last year’s impressive run game when they were 20th in the nation in rushing yardage with 212 per game.

OB
Starter Chase Rettig graduated but since BC is a run first, second and third team this is no great loss. Competition for QB will probably be between RSF James Walsh (6’ 2” 185 lbs. 4.58 forty) and incoming 3 star dual threat QB Darius Wade.

OLine
The two starting tackles have graduated. BC will need to have the next men to step up with tackle being such an important part of their running game. They have several RSF that could see playing time next year.

WR/TE
BC uses TE’s for power formations quite a bit. It is not uncommon to see three TE formations. The Eagles return all three tight ends.

While BC threw seldom (only 18.5 attempts per conference game) they weren’t terrible with 57.4% completion rate and 6.8 yards per attempt. Of the eight receivers on their depth chart seven youngsters return. BC also has some big WR in the 2014 class.

RB
With Williams going to the NFL BC could be a real good home for a power back. They are bringing in at least three in this class including four star from NJ Jonathan Hillman (6’1” 210 lbs. 4.4 forty) who had offers from everyone and decommitted from Rutgers.

Defense (4-3)
BC was dead last in the ACC vs. conference competition yielding almost 300 yards per game (287). Conversely, they were third versus the run giving up only 111 yards per game. The net result placed them 9th against conference foes in total defense.

DLine
Both starting defensive ends will not return, including Kaseem Edebadi who led the team with 14 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks.

LB
Two of the three starting linebackers who lead the team in tackles have graduated.

CB
The Eagles need to improve on pass D and they will return all of its corners, which should help.

Safety
Both safeties return.

I really like these posts, Crusty. Once you get through them all over the next few weeks, how about compiling them all and make one big posting of them all in the order that they are scheduled. I for one would love to print it out and use it as a reference for the upcoming season. I think you are on to something, bro!

I really like these posts, Crusty. Once you get through them all over the next few weeks, how about compiling them all and make one big posting of them all in the order that they are scheduled. I for one would love to print it out and use it as a reference for the upcoming season. I think you are on to something, bro!

Sure, will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom