Way too early Boeheims Army 2019 Lineup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Way too early Boeheims Army 2019 Lineup

Since they have never suited up for TBT, we'll never know.
We DO know what GIllon did - win us the first 2 games, almost single-handedly.

He's a perfect off-the-bench guard for TBT - play him and see if he gets hot, and if so, ride him.
If not, play one of the other guards.

Would LOVE to have a Rautins, Ennis, or Silent G on the squad - but since none of them are, we were very lucky to have Gillon, or it would have been 1-and-done for TBT this year.

The discussion was about next years TBT. I posted my opinion. You can’t say rautins and ennis can’t be included because they’ve never played.

Honestly I think we just need to play 3 or 4 guards. In this type of event playing more than one big is useless. We made our comeback with Devo, Triche, and Gillon all playing.

The Rak's of the world aren't going to make a difference.

The discussion was about next years TBT. I posted my opinion. You can’t say rautins and ennis can’t be included because they’ve never played.

OK, let's just add Melo to the team then too. :rolleyes:

Rautins could have played any of these past 4 years, and chose not to.
I'm not gonna hold my breath for next year.
Yes - he'd be perfect for this team, and TBT. Ditto Silent G.

Not sure Ennis really moves the needle - is he that much better/less bad on D than Devo or Gillon?
Or better on O?
I get that he's definitely a better PG/passer than those guys, but what we needed was more guys who could hit 3's consistently. D-Nic was pretty much the only one this year.

I get that he's definitely a better PG/passer than those guys, but what we needed was more guys who could hit 3's consistently. D-Nic was pretty much the only one this year.

Wish someone had made it a priority to set him up and get him the ball.

OK, let's just add Melo to the team then too. :rolleyes:

Rautins could have played any of these past 4 years, and chose not to.
I'm not gonna hold my breath for next year.
Yes - he'd be perfect for this team, and TBT. Ditto Silent G.

Not sure Ennis really moves the needle - is he that much better/less bad on D than Devo or Gillon?
Or better on O?

Yeesh. Read the title of the thread. Let’s see your team.

Yeesh. Read the title of the thread. Let’s see your team.

ALL the guys from this year's team, sans KrisJo - I love him, but he did nada.
(kinda like CJ from last year, sadly.)

Add: Silent G, Rak.

Uncle Drew would be PERFECT for TBT, but he's probably playing well enough to not be available.

Wishful thinking: Rautins, Ennis, Mali, Melo, Waiters ;)

Guards: Gillon, Andy, Devo, Gbinije

Devo's getting a little long in the tooth. Cooney would be a candidate to eventually replace him; good defender, and help to address shooting... if only he could knock down some shots. Gbinije would be a big defender, another handler / passer, a knock down shooter, and a force up top in the zone.

Forwards: Nichols, White, CJ, Hakim

Hakim's in a similar spot at Devo above -- but he sure turned back the clock in our last game! I'm adding him despite his age, because he can fill in as an up-tempo 5 in our system. Nichols and White give us bookend shooters. CJ should be perfect for this type of tournament, and he's in his prime -- would provide versatility as a scorer and defender. Southerland is out. KJ could supplant CJ, but needs to show more.

Center: Arinze, Riley

If it ain't broke... Arinze is a tough matchup, and would give us a capable guy inside if we play a team like the OSU alumni team with a stud post scorer. Riley is a guy who isn't going to gripe about minutes, and provides the rebounding / shot blocking we need in a backup 5.

Starting lineup:

PG -- Gbinije
SG -- Andy
WF -- Nichols
WF -- White
C -- Arinze

Imagine the shooting and the size up top and on the wings defensively. And with Arinze anchoring the post, they'll have somebody to throw the ball into if the defense overplays the perimeter.

Gillon / Devo sub situationally, and both provide scoring / shooting pop. CJ main sub at forward, spelling either guy. Centers rotate as needed, with a dash of Warrick mixed in.

TB T is all about shooting. There isn't enough practice time or coaching to create shut down D's so there will always be open shots. The teams that hit those shots will win.

We lost to Marquette this year because they hit a crazy number of 3's.

We lost to Overseas Elite last year because they hit a crazy number of 3's.

Last year's champions, Overseas Elite, was the team that shot the best from 3. I'd bet money that this year's champions will also be the team that shoots the best from 3.

With that in mind, here is the team I would choose if I had my choice of any non-NBA Syracuse alum (I don't actually think most of these guys would play, but its fun to dream).

Ennis - cant turn down an NBA quality point to get the ball to our shooters in the perfect position.
Rautins - shooting
Gbinije - shooting, plus a good secondary ball handler and slasher
White - shooting
Christams - my strategy would be to put a center on the court with 4 shooters surrounding him

Notice none of my starting 5 have ever played in TBT. I don't think that's a coincidence. With a few exceptions the TBT seems to be attracting the second tier of non-NBA players, and not many from the first tier of non-NBA players.

Bench

Gillon - Perfect TBT player. For the reasons given above, his lack of D doesn't really matter, and he can hit the 3, plus he's quick enough to get into the lane and draw the foul and he's a 90% free throw shooter.
Devendorf - the guy can just put the ball in the basket from anywhere.
Nichols - still looks like a great shooter
Triche - Southerland would be the perfect fit here, but man he looked bad in this year's tournament. I don't see any reason why Triche can't play forward in this kind of setting.
Warrick - I'd play him at center. Tough choice between him and Onuaku, but Warrick gets the nod for one more year.

Cooney is a less athletic, less skilled, weaker Triche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom