Way too many bowl games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Way too many bowl games

Your whole premise is that getting to a bowl is and should be indicative of some great achievement/honor. It's not and has not been for a while.

So my opinion is wrong?

So my opinion is wrong?

Which opinion? I said there is no "right" and "wrong". The market has set up these bowls and the market will decide how many there will be. They don't say, "How many teams "deserve" a bowl?"

Which opinion? I said there is no "right" and "wrong". The market has set up these bowls and the market will decide how many there will be. They don't say, "How many teams "deserve" a bowl?"

I understand that the bowls are driven by the market, it still doesn't make sense to me. That's all I am saying.

La Tech turned down a bowl invite. They have themselves to blame.

Depends on who you ask. Being held to a premature deadline when you really did have a shot at another bowl is somewhat unfair, especially after the season they had.

La Tech turned down a bowl invite. They have themselves to blame.
I heard their AD in an interview yesterday. They never turned down an invitation.
He asked for some time to discuss it with the coach and school.
They still believed that they had a shot at two other bowls with what they considered to be higher caliber matchups.
At one point the Independence Bowl just told him that they'd moved on to the MAC.

It was clear that the AD never expected Northern Illinois to jump into the top 16 and cause the Big XII spots to get re-shuffled.

Without any overall oversight of the game this is what can happen. If there was an entity that looked out for the game and checked all of the matchups before they became official this wouldn't have happened. It's crazy that a 9-3 team with the highest scoring offense and 2nd ranked total offense will be sitting home watching 6-6, 7-5 and 8-4 teams duke it out in the bowls. Sagarin has them at number 47 (with a weak schedule - 109), having beaten Illinois and Virginia.

I heard their AD in an interview yesterday. They never turned down an invitation.
He asked for some time to discuss it with the coach and school.
They still believed that they had a shot at two other bowls with what they considered to be higher caliber matchups.
At one point the Independence Bowl just told him that they'd moved on to the MAC.

It was clear that the AD never expected Northern Illinois to jump into the top 16 and cause the Big XII spots to get re-shuffled.

Without any overall oversight of the game this is what can happen. If there was an entity that looked out for the game and checked all of the matchups before they became official this wouldn't have happened. It's crazy that a 9-3 team with the highest scoring offense and 2nd ranked total offense will be sitting home watching 6-6, 7-5 and 8-4 teams duke it out in the bowls. Sagarin has them at number 47 (with a weak schedule - 109), having beaten Illinois and Virginia.
Maybe it should be changed to "La Tech didn't accept their bowl invite when it was presented to them. They have themselves to blame."

Maybe it should be changed to "La Tech didn't accept their bowl invite when it was presented to them. They have themselves to blame."
Apparently LaTech also wasn't hip to playing UL Monroe because they have a perceived superiority complex against them. Semantics are not going to change this guys reputation no matter how much he pleads at the end of the day he had a chance to go to the prom but will instead be home alone.

Honestly, no team should qualify for a bowl game with less than 9 wins. They need to maintain some sort of prestige to the "qualifying" aspect for a bowl game. This would impact Syracuse this year, but so be it. It should be an honor and you should accomplish a true feat to play in a bowl game, not just win 6 games and Ho Hum. I mean the AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl featuring an exhilarating matchup between Ohio and UL-Monroe. Really?

Bowl games have turned into the college whore... everyone's getting in.

Nine games would take us back to the 70s. I think 8 games is a good enough year, if you want to make the bowls more meaningful again.