We are 5th Nationally | Syracusefan.com

We are 5th Nationally

Wow, I would have never guessed that. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it. Goes to show what we feel is happening in a game isn't always what actually is happening. TO's have obviously killed us this year b/c there are a lot of things in the past that aren't killing us as badly anymore.

We're also 66.67% on 4th down which is tied for 18th Nationally.

We're also 66.67% on 4th down which is tied for 18th Nationally.

So since out % is better 4th down than 3rd, maybe we should be taking a knee on 3rd downs?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Outside of the Minny, Pitt, RU stretch our O has been really good this year.

The D just needs to be able to get off the field on 3rd down and we can take off. For the year we are 62nd nationally in 3rd down D. That isn't bad but it doesn't tell the whole story. The last three games we have struggled, allowing 50% on 3rd downs (21-42) which is well above our season average of 40%. The games this year in which we were more aggressive, we have allowed 24%.

I hate the bend but don't break philosophy that we use. And it seems like so many of these 3rd down conversions are of the long variety. At this point I feel more comfortable stopping 3rd and 3 than 3rd and 9. I wish Shafer was more agressive. We play so soft on D which makes little sense when you have the secondary that we do. Personally I rather be agressive on 3rd downs. Make teams dump it off to a hot route or make plays down the field. We give other teams way too much credit.

I think a team is better off giving up 4 TDs out of 10 drives in the quick variety (good or bad) than giving up 3 TDs and 2 FGs in the long variety. Yes I get that the later is 1 point less, but it also prevents you from gaining any momentum or setting up the O with a short field. Which hurts you from scoring points. I will trade that 1 point any day for the benefits it gives to the O and the team mentality.

In converting 3rd downs. 48.5%. That is just fantastic.

I don't know what our historical average is, but it feels like we have not been a very good 3rd down team (maybe even awful) over the last ten years. Obviously when you suck, like we have sucked, you aren't going to be good on 3rd down. So that's what leads me to believe this.

But in a world where the OL has finally improved, 3rd down conversion is a huge thing. Love it.

44cuse

Outside of the Minny, Pitt, RU stretch our O has been really good this year.

The D just needs to be able to get off the field on 3rd down and we can take off. For the year we are 62nd nationally in 3rd down D. That isn't bad but it doesn't tell the whole story. The last three games we have struggled, allowing 50% on 3rd downs (21-42) which is well above our season average of 40%. The games this year in which we were more aggressive, we have allowed 24%.

I hate the bend but don't break philosophy that we use. And it seems like so many of these 3rd down conversions are of the long variety. At this point I feel more comfortable stopping 3rd and 3 than 3rd and 9. I wish Shafer was more agressive. We play so soft on D which makes little sense when you have the secondary that we do. Personally I rather be agressive on 3rd downs. Make teams dump it off to a hot route or make plays down the field. We give other teams way too much credit.

I think a team is better off giving up 4 TDs out of 10 drives in the quick variety (good or bad) than giving up 3 TDs and 2 FGs in the long variety. Yes I get that the later is 1 point less, but it also prevents you from gaining any momentum or setting up the O with a short field. Which hurts you from scoring points. I will trade that 1 point any day for the benefits it gives to the O and the team mentality.

The Packers are so similar to Syracuse in this regard. They bring the pressure on 1st and 2nd down, forcing a 3rd and long. Then for some reason they decide to sit back in zone coverage giving the other QB all day to find someone open for the 1st down. Very frustrating as a fan.

Jim Johnson (RIP) defenses used to give up a ton of yards but not a lot of points. he would play softer in between the 30's and on 1st/2nd down but if you got to 3rd down or in the red zone he would absolutely bring the house. This resulted in ave/below ave in yards/game but top of league in points/game

i LOVE that philosophy

So since out % is better 4th down than 3rd, maybe we should be taking a knee on 3rd downs?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Our 4th down % is better because the distance to first down is generally shorter than our 3rd down attempts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom