We are a basketball school. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We are a basketball school.

Tell that to Houston, or other non-AQ teams.

Tell that to the b'ball schools who's conference only gets 1 tournament bid. And they lose in the conference tournament and some team that is 15-16 ends up making the BIG DANCE while a team that is 25-2 stays home! Life Sucks, deal with it.

Houston doesn't deserve to play for a national championship in football. They play in a bad conference against bad opponents. That's a fact

Tell that to the b'ball schools who's conference only gets 1 tournament bid. And they lose in the conference tournament and some team that is 15-16 ends up making the BIG DANCE while a team that is 25-2 stays home! Life Sucks, deal with it.

Houston doesn't deserve to play for a national championship in football. They play in a bad conference against bad opponents. That's a fact

Apples and oranges. Basketball teams can compete for a championship as long as they show a modicum of on-court success. Houstons and 99.9% of AQs of the world are locked out ipso fact.

Apples and oranges. Basketball teams can compete for a championship as long as they show a modicum of on-court success. Houstons and 99.9% of AQs of the world are locked out ipso fact.

RIGHT! Apples and Oranges. One sport can have a playoff and have it make sense. The other (FOOTBALL) can't. You just killed your whole stance.

RIGHT! Apples and Oranges. One sport can have a playoff and have it make sense. The other (FOOTBALL) can't. You just killed your whole stance.

No. One can have it and have it make sense. One does not, and it diminishes the sport.

LSU and Alabama would have most definitely held back.

I'm not so sure about that. Teams in the SEC take the conference (or division) titles very seriously, in part because that plays such a big role in recruiting. A lot of SEC fans would support a playoff that included just the winners of the conference title games, because that would guarantee that the conference title still means something. But they would also complain when their team got matched up against an opponent from a conference they considered to be inferior, which can include almost any other conference for some of the fan bases.

I'm not so sure about that. Teams in the SEC take the conference (or division) titles very seriously, in part because that plays such a big role in recruiting. A lot of SEC fans would support a playoff that included just the winners of the conference title games, because that would guarantee that the conference title still means something. But they would also complain when their team got matched up against an opponent from a conference they considered to be inferior, which can include almost any other conference for some of the fan bases.

Not to mention that any team that fails to give 100% effort on November frickin' 5th would be one of the lousiest competitors in the history of sports.

Maybe for you - for me SU will always be a FB school.

Undoubtedly, in the court of public opinion, SU is clearly a basketball school. As stated, there's nothing wrong with that. There really aren't many programs out there that are both very strong in both. As great as Bama & LSU are in football, their hoops is mediocre at best. Anyone attempting to argue SU is football first, lives in the very distant past...

Undoubtedly, in the court of public opinion, SU is clearly a basketball school. As stated, there's nothing wrong with that. There really aren't many programs out there that are both very strong in both. As great as Bama & LSU are in football, their hoops is mediocre at best. Anyone attempting to argue SU is football first, lives in the very distant past...

I attended Indiana University. That is a basketball school. North Carolina is a basketball school. Duke is a basketball school.

Syracuse University is I think a top 20 team in terms of all-time college football wins.

It has produced the greatest RB of all time - Jim Brown, the greatest TE of all time, John Mackey, the greatest FB of all time, Larry Csonka, the kicker of all time, Gary Anderson, the greatest center of all time, Jim Ringo, one of the top two or three WRs of all time, Marvin Harrison, one of the top OT of all time Walt Sweeney, two of the greatest college RBs of all time, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, one of the greatest rush DEs of all time, Dwight Freeney and on and on and on.

Yes, the past ten years have hurt the program's reputation, but to me SU Football is iconic and Syracuse University does not fall into the same category as IU, NC or Duke.

Yes, the past ten years have hurt the program's reputation, but to me SU Football is iconic and Syracuse University does not fall into the same category as IU, NC or Duke.

Agreed.Last I looked we were #15 all time in FB Ws.This is and always will be a FB school with a very good BB program,regardless of how the outside world sees it.Hell,even JB has said this when asked.

The move to the ACC should make it financially possible for us to be competitive in FB for the first time in a long time and we can get back to being that type of program.Being a strong FB program as a private in a conference like the BE in this day and age has become nearly impossible and the image of our FB has obviously taken a big hit.That doesn't mean we have become a true BB school like the ones OPA listed.

I attended Indiana University. That is a basketball school. North Carolina is a basketball school. Duke is a basketball school.

Syracuse University is I think a top 20 team in terms of all-time college football wins.

It has produced the greatest RB of all time - Jim Brown, the greatest TE of all time, John Mackey, the greatest FB of all time, Larry Csonka, the kicker of all time, Gary Anderson, the greatest center of all time, Jim Ringo, one of the top two or three WRs of all time, Marvin Harrison, one of the top OT of all time Walt Sweeney, two of the greatest college RBs of all time, Ernie Davis and Floyd Little, one of the greatest rush DEs of all time, Dwight Freeney and on and on and on.

Yes, everything you mention is true, and what makes it so difficult for historian types to accept SU's current status when it comes to football. I am a huge Browns fan, so I, unfortunately, know all too well about the rich names of the past. Most of the names you mention about SU's rich tradition are completely from a far distant era. It's more than the past ten years or so. I remember graduating from LHS in '82 and when classmate, Timmy Green, was courted by all, Joe Pa pondered why would you want to go to SU, it's a basketball school. Even when we had that great run in '87 & ranked teams during the McNabb years, public perception still was SU being more pro basketball.

And, if SU's past admin's truly viewed itself as a football first school, the facility descrepancies which exist today between the two sports would not exist, let alone be so much behind...it's painful & I feel it too...

Yes, everything you mention is true, and what makes it so difficult for historian types to accept SU's current status when it comes to football. I am a huge Browns fan, so I, unfortunately, know all too well about the rich names of the past. Most of the names you mention about SU's rich tradition are completely from a far distant era. It's more than the past ten years or so. I remember graduating from LHS in '82 and when classmate, Timmy Green, was courted by all, Joe Pa pondered why would you want to go to SU, it's a basketball school. Even when we had that great run in '87 & ranked teams during the McNabb years, public perception still was SU being more pro basketball.

And, if SU's past admin's truly viewed itself as a football first school, the facility descrepancies which exist today between the two sports would not exist, let alone be so much behind...it's painful & I feel it too...

And since Tim Green came to SU, we have gone to two Fiesta Bowls, an Orange Bowl, a Sugar Bowl, a Gator Bowl, a Liberty Bowl and many other bowls while producing not only Tim, but McNabb, Freeney, Bulluck, Will Allen, Harrison, Ismail, and on an on.

So Joe Pa was wrong then, and as far as I'm concerned, wrong now. Yes, the BB team has had more national success and attention in the past few years, but SU is not NC or IU or Duke - those are BB schools.

As far as spending is concerned, BB does not require the kind of spending that FB requires. And, the administration is making a strong effort to spend what needs to be spent on FB - other than the field turf in the Dome, the weight lifting facility and the other enhancements that have been made.

We have won the 5th most games in the history of college basketball. We are not a basketball school, we are basketball ICON. Lets get that right out of the way.

No disrespect to any one of the players you mentioned but we as Syracuse fans (I'm 41 so I was not around for the glory RB days of the 50's and 60's) are still hung up on stuff that happened 50 years ago. Kids today could care less about 44, Ernie Davis, Jim Brown or Ben Schwartz. Zero. They care about ESPN, Top 10 plays, potential pro contracts, etc.

We certainly fall into the same category as IU, UNC and Duke. We have a HALL OF FAME COACH for crying out loud who will end up with the second most wins EVER once it is all said and done. That alone makes us a basketball school.

To say we dont belong in the same category as those school is ridiculous.

And since Tim Green came to SU, we have gone to two Fiesta Bowls, an Orange Bowl, a Sugar Bowl, a Gator Bowl, a Liberty Bowl and many other bowls while producing not only Tim, but McNabb, Freeney, Bulluck, Will Allen, Harrison, Ismail, and on an on.

So Joe Pa was wrong then, and as far as I'm concerned, wrong now. Yes, the BB team has had more national success and attention in the past few years, but SU is not NC or IU or Duke - those are BB schools.

As far as spending is concerned, BB does not require the kind of spending that FB requires. And, the administration is making a strong effort to spend what needs to be spent on FB - other than the field turf in the Dome, the weight lifting facility and the other enhancements that have been made.

Indeed, the adminstration is making a strong effort, but that's today's administration and I applaude them. However, they're fiercely attempting to catch up. A football first program would've never had let themselves get so far behind in the first place.

we are a basketball school...

• ....and we just lost a football game to the 2011 ncaa basketball champs again.

This conversation is kind of rediculous. Which one is Florida then?? Howbout Ohio State or Michigan State? :crazy:

Our basketball will always have a high ceiling. Football its a different story but I have faith our time will come again.

We are not a state school but it doesn't matter. Especially now that we are in the ACC. Wonder if Syracuse could ever become a state school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom