We are a tournament team | Syracusefan.com

We are a tournament team

20Plus

Now we just have to get the resume there.

The way White is shooting the ball. The offense and defense offense of Tyler Lydon. The emergence and diversity of Tyus Battle. The forward rotation with Roberson and Thompson.

The way John plays when it's just an average level game for him is enough. If he plays horrible we are not if he plays good we are definitely but even if he just plays average game this is a tournament team!

Now we just have to get the resume there.

The way White is shooting the ball. The offense and defense offense of Tyler Lydon. The emergence and diversity of Tyus Battle. The forward rotation with Roberson and Thompson.

The way John plays when it's just an average level game for him is enough. If he plays horrible we are not if he plays good we are definitely but even if he just plays average game this is a tournament team!

I support this. I even predicted it earlier in the season. This is NOT the same team of a month ago. They run the break, the D has improved, Battle and Gillon take it to the hole with authority now, and White is nailing the J. This is a different team, as I predicted. Of course like in American society where people are defined by their past, the earlier losses may keep us out unless this team still contnues to improve, and suprise even the experts. LGO!!!

Which tournament?

Seriously, I think we look better. Trimming the fat has helped. I'm liking the tight rotation. A big key will be Thompson. He needs to bring it every game, on both ends. We can't have 18 one game, 4 the next from him. Somewhere in between would work.

One thing we have to do is win a few road games. It's obvious but imperative. Only way we have a chance to get in either tournament.

Not to be a downer, but I think we have to stay within 10 of someone on the road before I'll think we are good enough.

Opportunity for that knocks this week.

Have to win 3 games on the road at least. Leadership from someone is needed.

just watched kansas/kentucky. sorry but they're currently playing at another level than us. could we make the tourney ? loooongshot.
another final four ? i think i just saw two spots taken. that was some good hoops.

OP was saying the team out there TODAY was a tournament team. If we erased the record, was today's team in the top 64.

Look, I knot that isnt how it works, ok? But we are just saying today's team is a tournament team, whether they make it or not due to their past...like non violent felons who have many rights stripped, like even voting, not that that one actually matters.

I dont know about the OP(I dont remember it), but my point was the present team is without any doubt in my mind a tournament team no matter what happens the rest of the season. I guess it's only opinion, but I think it's a very good one.

just watched kansas/kentucky. sorry but they're currently playing at another level than us. could we make the tourney ? loooongshot.
another final four ? i think i just saw two spots taken. that was some good hoops.

About 55-60 teams make the tournament every year while not being as good as Kentucky or Kansas.

We what our record says. If we do well/win vs. Ville x2, Duke, UVA - then we belong we in the tourney - if we lay eggs in all of games, then we don't. Pretty black and white.

We will get our chance to play our way into the tourney and that's all we can ask for. I believe we have improved too, and we have a month and a half to prove to the committee that we deserve to be in.

If we take care of some of these teams on the road we might end up being top 5 in the conference. At Louisville and home against UVA are the two toughest games on the schedule.

If we take care of some of these teams on the road we might end up being top 5 in the conference. At Louisville and home against UVA are the two toughest games on the schedule.
I am somewhat confident in a split of Ville. However I think UVA has a real bone to pick with us - I'm afraid that game could get ugly

They were both top 5 going into the game...they are 2 to 3 levels better than us...but we don't have to be at their level to make the clambake which is all we care about.

We have no wins outside of the Dome.
While we have played really well at home during conference play we need 2-3 road/neutral wins to even talk NCAAT.
That loss to UConn is such a freaking black mark.

i'll settle for finally making a little noise in the ACCt . if they make the finals cloud nine. somewhat realistic goal

Last edited:

Your post would make sense if there is not much of a difference between a 1/2 seed vs. an 11/12 seed...

I figger 12-6 will get SU in. That means, at 5-4, we have to 7-2 from here, which is not highly likely. So we'd have to beat Duke and Lville once. We're at NCSt, Va at home, at Clemson & Pitt (two we must win), L-ville, at GT, Duke, at L-ville, GT Senior day. Possible, yeah, but I'm not going to Vegas with it anytime soon. Winning at least 3 in the ACC Tourney might be another angle in.

Last edited:
Which tournament?

Seriously, I think we look better. Trimming the fat has helped. I'm liking the tight rotation. A big key will be Thompson. He needs to bring it every game, on both ends. We can't have 18 one game, 4 the next from him. Somewhere in between would work.

One thing we have to do is win a few road games. It's obvious but imperative. Only way we have a chance to get in either tournament.
If You can honestly actually take the time to watch the potential tournament teams and say we don't fit?

With the way were playing now I can't help you

If You can honestly actually take the time to watch the potential tournament teams and say we don't fit?

well you take the homer view. if the CUSE were to gain a bid over someone else's favorite they would say "who'd they beat ?"
and people here who want to argue it's all about how you play down the stretch have certainly changed tack from years past.
impressive early wins but we went 500 down the stretch last year and lost 1st round ACCt.

Last edited:
Grayson Allen's gonna have an awful time in the dome if the Cuse put together some wins to make the game meaningful.

well you take the homer view. if the CUSE were to gain a bid over someone else's favorite they would say "who'd they beat ?"
and people here who want to argue it's all about how you play down the stretch have certainly changed tack from years past.
we went 500 down the stretch last year at lost 1st round ACCt.
We got in last year because we beat UConn/Texas A&M in Atlantis and
Beat Duke in Cameron Indoor.
Those 3 wins were miles better than any bubble team last year and all were away from the Dome.
We haven't won a neutral/road game this year we are 0-7 in those games.
Our resume is miles behind last year's resume.
We aren't close to the NCAAT right now. We could definitely make it if we keep winning but we aren't close right now. Beat NC State on the road and Virginia next Saturday we are on the bubble.

I'm not sure you all are listening to each other. Your original post says we "need to get the resume there" not that we deserve to be in the tournament as of now. Obviously we have not played like a tournament team the majority of the year and would not get in if selection was today.

I thought your point was valid that how we are playing right now is a top 50 team. I think that is true although we still would have that small issue of looking nothing like a top 50 team on the road even with our "new and improved" team.

Either way its two different questions people seem to be answering / attacking here.

We got in last year because we beat UConn/Texas A&M in Atlantis and
Beat Duke in Cameron Indoor.
Those 3 wins were miles better than any bubble team last year and all were away from the Dome.
We haven't won a neutral/road game this year we are 0-7 in those games.
Our resume is miles behind last year's resume.
We aren't close to the NCAAT right now. We could definitely make it if we keep winning but we aren't close right now. Beat NC State on the road and Virginia next Saturday we are on the bubble.

You are right in terms of us being well behind last year's pace. And we do need what you propose, to get in the "as of now" bubble.

But we also have more opportunities in a better conference this year moving forward. More importantly top 25 home win opportunities. Road wins would be very helpful, but they are not a must have either. Just look at Oregon St from last year who got a 7 seed, largely by beating "top 50" P-12 teams at home. Getting top 25/top 50 home wins in conference is a major opportunity we have. Whether we capitalize is yet to be seen.

The way we played today, yes. Whether we fit is determined by body of work. We don't measure up yet. Today we looked the part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom