We are a tournament team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We are a tournament team

the 2 games with GT loom large. they've got a similar record and also are "hot" now

sweeping them out of the conversation greatly helps our cause

first things first, next 3 on the road are winnable. cant lay any eggs

well you take the homer view. if the CUSE were to gain a bid over someone else's favorite they would say "who'd they beat ?"
and people here who want to argue it's all about how you play down the stretch have certainly changed tack from years past.
impressive early wins but we went 500 down the stretch last year at lost 1st round ACCt.

We beat Miami and Florida State already. Need to beat two of the following three: Duke (very likely), Virginia (also likely) and Louisville. Now we will have four good wins in our resume.

just watched kansas/kentucky. sorry but they're currently playing at another level than us. could we make the tourney ? loooongshot.
another final four ? i think i just saw two spots taken. that was some good hoops.

No one said we were a National Title contender. Tournament level team is an entirely different matter and whether we can overcome the hole we've dug for ourselves is another matter even yet.

Last edited:
Here's the problem...our schedule is BRUTAL from here on out...ironically it's also the positive here

Tough schedule but wins will greatly help our tournament chances. I really don't think FSU played their best basketball. They look sluggish like they had 5 hour flight the morning of the game. It was a great win but I think this team still has a lot to prove.

Need to stay healthy too. With the composition of this team an injury throws everything out the window.

What's all this "we" talk in this thread...I didn't realize the team had so many on its roster. ;):)

Does 3-2 in the next 5 games put us on track for a tourney bid? I dont know, its close but i would have to think 8-6 in ACC puts us on the radar screen for the selection committee...

We got in last year because we beat UConn/Texas A&M in Atlantis and
Beat Duke in Cameron Indoor.
Those 3 wins were miles better than any bubble team last year and all were away from the Dome.
We haven't won a neutral/road game this year we are 0-7 in those games.
Our resume is miles behind last year's resume.
We aren't close to the NCAAT right now. We could definitely make it if we keep winning but we aren't close right now. Beat NC State on the road and Virginia next Saturday we are on the bubble.
Though your points are somewhat valid I want to make a couple points.
If Texas A&M (Nonconference) is equal to a Notre Dame (in conference) last year it doesn't matter if it's in conference or out
your resume is blindly judged.

If we're going to be above 99 and conference will automatically have three or four Goodwins so if we get to 10 wins we will be on the bubble if we get to 11 will be even closer and so on and so forth !

Our chances of making the tourney a few weeks ago was less than 5%, we were running on absolute fumes. I would say our chances of making it now are around 20-25%.

Our resume is still horrendous, but there is a semblance of hope now. Not having a single win outside the Dome is pathetic for a Syracuse team. We simply have to beat NC State on Wednesday to right this ship.

Though your points are somewhat valid I want to make a couple points.
If Texas A&M (Nonconference) is equal to a Notre Dame (in conference) last year it doesn't matter if it's in conference or out
your resume is blindly judged.

If we're going to be above 99 and conference will automatically have three or four Goodwins so if we get to 10 wins we will be on the bubble if we get to 11 will be even closer and so on and so forth !
Notre Dame was at home last year without Demetrius Jackson. The committee values neutral/road wins like gold because all teams can win at home.
A&M/UConn/Duke separated us from the bubble.

We need road wins and need them in multiples. Winning at home is a must as well because we need resume scalpes but road wins are needed.
Beat two of NC State/Clemson/Georgia Tech on the road and beat two of Duke/Louisville/Virginia at home we are on the bubble.

We have no wins outside of the Dome.
While we have played really well at home during conference play we need 2-3 road/neutral wins to even talk NCAAT.
That loss to UConn is such a freaking black mark.
Agree. We aren't even remotely close to the bubble. As others have said we need 3 road wins and must beat at least two of UVA, Duke and Ville at home. Where are the 3 road wins?

We just need a lot of wins and wins against good teams. People keep talking about the road like that means anything. If it did Duke would be on the bubble as yesterday was their first road win of the season.

We just need a lot of wins and wins against good teams. People keep talking about the road like that means anything. If it did Duke would be on the bubble as yesterday was their first road win of the season.
They have wins at MSG versus Florida and neutral wins over Penn State, Rhode Island and won road games at UNLV and Elon.
They have sucked on the road in conference play but they have wins banked from non conference play.
We need wins outside of the dome "bigly"

They have wins at MSG versus Florida and neutral wins over Penn State, Rhode Island and won road games at UNLV and Elon.
They have sucked on the road in conference play but they have wins banked from non conference play.
We need wins outside of the dome "bigly"

I mean we need wins, which includes road games. I don't think anyone thinks 9 is going to get it done.

Imo duke is one loss away from being a bubble team. Lol But then again duke could probably go 8-10 in the acc and the committee would still give them a 5-6 seed

Whether we actually get the wins is unknown, but we have been gifted the best possible ACC schedule in the back half to make a run.

• No sub 100 teams. So all wins that have value and no potential for bad losses (unless GTech turns)
  • We play all the best teams at home (Louisville, Duke, Virginia).
  • A chance to get road wins that are winnable and would be deemed as quality road wins over 50-100 level teams (Pitt, Clemson, GTech, NC St)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom