We fell into Hampton's trap | Syracusefan.com

We fell into Hampton's trap

imdevo

2023-24 Iggy Winner Leading Scorer
Hampton's strategy to fluster and throw off our young team worked beautifully. They were fouling hard on every possession, they were hollering at every chance possible, they were bumping their chests out on every point scored...they turned it into a street game. It started with the coach and it trickled all the way down to every single player. After re-watching the game, you can clearly see this strategy paying off when we had the ball and instead of setting up a play, you can see our guys trying to "beat" their guys on one-on-one situations.

It was a frustrating game to watch. This Hampton team reminded me of a poor version of the Seton Hall team that made a run in the tourney in 2013. They ran their mouths and hollered at every play. Scrappy. Stingy. Frustrating to play against.

Good win. I just wanted to vent my frustration out. Even their coach frustrated me at times with his on-the-court antics!

Hampton's strategy to fluster and throw off our young team worked beautifully. They were fouling hard on every possession, they were hollering at every chance possible, they were bumping their chests out on every point scored...they turned it into a street game. It started with the coach and it trickled all the way down to every single player. After re-watching the game, you can clearly see this strategy paying off when we had the ball and instead of setting up a play, you can see our guys trying to "beat" their guys on one-on-one situations.

It was a frustrating game to watch. This Hampton team reminded me of a poor version of the Seton Hall team that made a run in the tourney in 2013. They ran their mouths and hollered at every play. Scrappy. Stingy. Frustrating to play against.

Good win. I just wanted to vent my frustration out. Even their coach frustrated me at times with his on-the-court antics!

Glad someone else noticed this. I wanted to punch most of their players through my screen. The in-your-face clapping that they did on nearly every possession should be an immediate technical. No reason to do that.

I was also annoyed with the double fouls called, both of which were clearly fouls by Hampton players. Their strategy of hacking Cuse and not allowing them to establish any rhythm worked about as well as it could have. Similar to the Adrian game plan imo.

I definitely noticed it. They acted like punks the entire game, specially the Tennessee transfer. That's ok. They were brought into the dome and processed just like everyone else. (Think of the dome like a factory where teams are shipped in as raw materials and converted into wins).

Overall I feel it will be a good lesson for our young guys. As annoying as it was I'm not that unhappy as its a good experience and Hampton gave us a quite a few lessons to learn:
Have to get back on D hard all game make or miss.
Have to be strong with the ball especially on rebounds.
Have to stick with the game plan, play as a team and ignore obvious attempts to get us worked up.
Have to be prepared for physical battles.

I doubt that Cal, Texas nor Iowa will feel the need to do this but other teams may try it.

The players seemed boastful and some came across as cocky, but I wasn't bothered by it too much. If Hampton was within striking distance at any point in the second half, I would have been annoyed. To me, it just seemed like a scrappy little team who had false hope of making it a game. Can't fault 'em for that.

I actually thought that they had a great game strategy, and were well coached. I agree that they acted like the initiating aggressors. But they knew that we aren't yet in synch on offense, so they used pressure at the right times to try to force us into mistakes. When Rak was out, they attacked the rim knowing that we just lost our shot blocker. And they were very physical in an attempt to knock us off stride. In short, they tried to turn the game ugly hoping that we'd get impatient and / or not shoot the ball well.

Now, that resulted in some early foul trouble for them that limited them down the stretch. But it also resulted in some extra fouls for our guys. We offset their attempt to get in our heads with that strong stretch at about the 4:42 mark, where we went on an 11-2 run to put the game away. Kudods to our players for extending that lead and putting a reasonably close game out of reach.

But I don't fault their game plan.

That coach seemed like an absolute nutcase over on the sideline, spinning, pointing swearing all game. That seems like an autobid type of team to me

Ah yes--the Tom Crean / Jamie Dixon school of raving lunatics on the sideline. Agree 100%.

Hate such demonstrative theatrics from head coaches. Its one thing to get fired up over a call or something that happens on the court and show some emotion, but to be a blustering, red-faced bufoon the entire game is asinine.

Ah yes--the Tom Crean / Jamie Dixon school of raving lunatics on the sideline. Agree 100%.

Hate such demonstrative theatrics from head coaches. Its one thing to get fired up over a call or something that happens on the court and show some emotion, but to be a blustering, red-faced bufoon the entire game is asinine.

Plenty of coaches even work the refs over the course of the game without ever crossing into the crazy on court constant lunatic zone. I still simply can not understand why the NCAA hasn't made it a point of emphasis to give a quick warning the first time a coach is on the court or out of the box during live action and then issue a bench T every time there after. It really takes away from the game in general to have one or in some cases two coaches grandstanding the entire game.

Brooky03 said:
The players seemed boastful and some came across as cocky, but I wasn't bothered by it too much. If Hampton was within striking distance at any point in the second half, I would have been annoyed. To me, it just seemed like a scrappy little team who had false hope of making it a game. Can't fault 'em for that.

That and they got absolutely smoked in their last game. Their coach probably questioned their toughness and their players didn't want to roll over and take it again.

They played hard the whole game. Nothing wrong with that.

Plenty of coaches even work the refs over the course of the game without ever crossing into the crazy on court constant lunatic zone. I still simply can not understand why the NCAA hasn't made it a point of emphasis to give a quick warning the first time a coach is on the court or out of the box during live action and then issue a bench T every time there after. It really takes away from the game in general to have one or in some cases two coaches grandstanding the entire game.

I've posted this lots of times before--one of my biggest pet peeves in college basketball is these coaches roaming way out onto the court, or up the sidelines way past the coaches box. Why the referees don't warn / slap them with technicals for doing so makes zero sense.

Can't stand that coaches are allowed to do that.

I've posted this lots of times before--one of my biggest pet peeves in college basketball is these coaches roaming way out onto the court, or up the sidelines way past the coaches box. Why the referees don't warn / slap them with technicals for doing so makes zero sense.

Its such an easy thing to correct as well. Warning followed by T's and its under control. Coaches want to win they would stop as soon as it was giving the other team points.

Its such an easy thing to correct as well. Warning followed by T's and its under control. Coaches want to win they would stop as soon as it was giving the other team points.

Couldn't agree more.

Otherwise, what's the point of even having a coaching box?

Honestly, you should be happy they did this, because that part of their strategy backfired big time. The refs saw what they were doing and pretty much gave Syracuse every call. Hampton was in foul trouble about 8 minutes into that game.

The x's & o's strategy Hampton had apart from the thuggery was fantastic. They had a minimum of 4, and often times 5 guys that were small quick and able to beat their man off the dribble, and just pushed the ball as fast as they could hoping to find a one-on-one situation. When they got them, they exploited them with great proficiency. Much like Syracuse's success comes from sticking with the zone through good and bad Hampton stuck with that strategy through the inevitable turnovers, and had some decent overall success from it. I was impressed.

I think teams will try to be physical with us down low till our bigs other than Rak can show they can convert through contact. It appears this team will be going to the FT throw line quite a bit this year. As many have said there will some growing pains with this team but I still think it will be a very good season.

That and they got absolutely smoked in their last game. Their coach probably questioned their toughness and their players didn't want to roll over and take it again.

They played hard the whole game. Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed. No problems with their game plan or mannerisms. Should they play scared against some diaper dandies, lol?

Honestly, you should be happy they did this, because that part of their strategy backfired big time. The refs saw what they were doing and pretty much gave Syracuse every call. Hampton was in foul trouble about 8 minutes into that game.

The x's & o's strategy Hampton had apart from the thuggery was fantastic. They had a minimum of 4, and often times 5 guys that were small quick and able to beat their man off the dribble, and just pushed the ball as fast as they could hoping to find a one-on-one situation. When they got them, they exploited them with great proficiency. Much like Syracuse's success comes from sticking with the zone through good and bad Hampton stuck with that strategy through the inevitable turnovers, and had some decent overall success from it. I was impressed.

I probably came off the wrong way. All I was trying to state is that their strategy worked and it was a frustrating game to watch.

Great execution and great strategy on their part. On the flip side, we are BETTER because of it. It exposed our transition defense flaws early in the season and now we can work on it.

He kept bumping into the ref throughout the game so the ref was well aware of it. In fact I wondered if he was using it as an attempt at intimidating the ref. If he had ever beaten us though - it would have made his career. As long as there were no injuries, it was a much better experience for our guys than playing a team that would roll over and be intimidated/star struck. Bet that coach isn't well liked by fellow coaches, refs but I imagine he could care less. Reminded me of imitating a mini-JT Jr type persona. There are so many games played within a game - fun watching.

Cheriehoop said:
He kept bumping into the ref throughout the game so the ref was well aware of it. In fact I wondered if he was using it as an attempt at intimidating the ref. If he had ever beaten us though - it would have made his career. As long as there were no injuries, it was a much better experience for our guys than playing a team that would roll over and be intimidated/star struck. Bet that coach isn't well liked by fellow coaches, refs but I imagine he could care less. Reminded me of imitating a mini-JT Jr type persona. There are so many games played within a game - fun watching.
the first coach that runs into a ref and flops down is the winner in the game of life imo

I saw one instance, and there may have been more, where he was on the court during play and actually put his hand on one of his player's shoulder...don't remember ever seeing that in a live game before.

Couldn't agree more.

Otherwise, what's the point of even having a coaching box?
And easy to enforce.
Put electronic ankle bracelets on coaches.
They exit the box...a buzzer goes off and the other team shoots a technical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom