We get so worked up on recruiting | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We get so worked up on recruiting

Custis could, Enoicy could if he came here.

I think both of those guys need to put on weight if they play TE. I would be shocked if either plays right away as a true frosh at TE. WR is another story.

IF the qb position is as good as his with being as average as we were this year with a poor offense and horrible passing offense, there is no reason to root for syracuse. We are doomed for the foreseeable future. i hope there is some competition.
Shafer doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who shy's away from a little competition.

I want the best recruits possible as well. But I don't judge said recruits on an evaluation done by someone that isn't a head coach of a college team. I know that Syracuse scouts its own talent and doesn't use skout, rivles, espn, and 247. This is why we land kids that we offered first and they get big offers down the road. Regardless of what you believe, this is all that matters.
The biggest misnomer in recruiting is to think that these sites actually does talent evaluations. They'd like you to think they do so they can charge you money for the information. Its a marketing ploy. They're information gatherers. They initially find out what big colleges are recruiting who, find out their offers, then based upon that information they assign a number to them. Don't get me wrong that information is interesting and significant to fans interested in it. In a way we do get a glimpse into what coaches think of players by who have offered scholarships. Its a sort of secondary market. The logical sequence goes like this. The coaches are professional talent evaluators and initially recruit, communicate, send letters of interest, then officially offer recruits a scholarship, the recruiting website's employees find out this information by 'interviewing' them and assign a star rating reflective of that scholarship offer and thus talent. I look closer at who's recruiting them and who's offered them more than just the star rating but those numbers are a simpler way for many fans to follow 'the game' then to delve into more specifics like me. I've been following recruiting closely for 35 years and forgot more than you know so you can cut the condescending tone.

The biggest misnomer in recruiting is to think that these sites actually does talent evaluations. They'd like you to think they do so they can charge you money for the information. Its a marketing ploy. They're information gatherers. They initially find out what big colleges are recruiting who, find out their offers, then based upon that information they assign a number to them. Don't get me wrong that information is interesting and significant to fans interested in it. In a way we do get a glimpse into what coaches think of players by who have offered scholarships. Its a sort of secondary market. The logical sequence goes like this. The coaches are professional talent evaluators and initially recruit, communicate, send letters of interest, then officially offer recruits a scholarship, the recruiting website's employees find out this information by 'interviewing' them and assign a star rating reflective of that scholarship offer and thus talent. I look closer at who's recruiting them and who's offered them more than just the star rating but those numbers are a simpler way for many fans to follow 'the game' then to delve into more specifics like me. I've been following recruiting closely for 35 years and forgot more than you know so you can cut the condescending tone.

I won't get into whether they do a good, bad or indifferent job in evaluating, but as to the process, your post is wrong. They do go out and watch kids at all star games, combines, state playoff games, even individual games to see a particular player. I also won't say every kid they haven't seen at all, on tape or live, is not rated. I'm sure there are kids they've seen nothing of, that gets offered by an Alabama and FSU, that they rate. But most kids don't get rated unless they have seen then at least on tape. Also, stars aren't assigned. It's based in national ranking. 1-x are 5 stars, x-y are 4 stars, etc.

Thank you Crusty for having a clear thesis statement. Those are now a requirement of posting on this site. I'm glad that you've reviewed the bylaws. :rolleyes:
SUFaninNJ, as Arbiter of Naming Other Arbiters, I hereby appoint you to be Arbiter of Thesis Statement Clarity.

:gavel'd:

CusefanATL said:
IF the qb position is as good as his with being as average as we were this year with a poor offense and horrible passing offense, there is no reason to root for syracuse. We are doomed for the foreseeable future. i hope there is some competition.

Must have been a tough year for you. I had plenty to get amped about, esp the last two games. Plenty to root for.

As for being doomed? I can't see how we don't build on the last two games pretty easily. HC, OC, and QB all will have a year of experience plus camps. And the WR's will have more talent and experience.

I said I thought there would be competition - but it's really unlikely that a frosh or red shirt is going to take it away from him. If they do - good. Competition is good.

Then you should know that this is probably our best class in 15 years. Forget class rankings, as those reward classes with more commits. I can't remember one of our classes with more BCS offers than this one. I'm not going to go through every commit because I frankly don't have the time nor patience. Guys KJ Williams -- Michigan, Edouard -- Miami, Slayton -- Neb, Mich St, Hudson -- BC, Roberts -- Ill, Custis -- Pitt (rumored late Miami offer), Franklin -- South Carlolina, etc. The list goes on.

This is a pretty damn good class. Would I like all 4 and 5 star kids? Sure. Is that realistic, no. We need to recruit with our peer schools (BC, MD, Pitt, UVA) and kick their asses on the field.

As for being doomed? I can't see how we don't build on the last two games pretty easily. HC, OC, and QB all will have a year of experience plus camps. And the WR's will have more talent and experience.

I said I thought there would be competition - but it's really unlikely that a frosh or red shirt is going to take it away from him. ...

Agree with this. There are only a few questions with the 2014 offense -- who will emerge as the C, can M&M get tough yards when needed, and can one of the WRs (frosh or otherwise) emerge. With Hunt in place (seems almost certain), the offense should be improved.

As for the importance of recruiting, there is a reason why McDonald and his colleagues work so hard at it. Lifeblood of college football. Not the only factor in success, obviously.

The only QB with a chance at the job would be Long, who I believe is enrolling early. Better chance a redshirt frosh battles for the job then one of the true frosh.

What true frosh TE will jump Parris?

Do we know how the two fresh QBs did on the scout team this year? Anyone have a feel for their development?

Competition is good. But the basis of CFB is improvement and development. Hunt will be better this year, as will the group of WRs. So too will the guys they will be competing against. Now does that translate into success with the loss of two OL? We will see.

Then you should know that this is probably our best class in 15 years. Forget class rankings, as those reward classes with more commits. I can't remember one of our classes with more BCS offers than this one. ...
This is a pretty damn good class. Would I like all 4 and 5 star kids? Sure. Is that realistic, no. We need to recruit with our peer schools (BC, MD, Pitt, UVA) and kick their asses on the field.

Well, certainly in the past 10 or 12 years. We are a tad short on linemen at this point, and didn't land a top-flight RB, but it is otherwise a real good class. Did a very good job with WRs, QB, and LBs and OK with the DBs. The prospects visiting in January all have good offers from other programs.

Have we matched our peer schools? Maybe not quite, but the gap is closing.

Well, certainly in the past 10 or 12 years. We are a tad short on linemen at this point, and didn't land a top-flight RB, but it is otherwise a real good class. Did a very good job with WRs, QB, and LBs and OK with the DBs. The prospects visiting in January all have good offers from other programs.

Have we matched our peer schools? Maybe not quite, but the gap is closing.

i think the issue is we are in disagreement over the use of "real good class"

this is not anywhere near a real good class. I'm hoping you are using that in reference to where we have been and you dont actually mean its a legit "real good class". this is still a below average class in terms of our peers.

it is however a class that is helping us close the gap. it is better than it was.

Must have been a tough year for you. I had plenty to get amped about, esp the last two games. Plenty to root for.

I said I thought there would be competition - but it's really unlikely that a frosh or red shirt is going to take it away from him. If they do - good. Competition is good.

i missed the 2nd paragraph about competition. seems odd to say after your 1st paragraph. but i should have continued reading. my apologies.

i still don't have faith in hunt as a passer especially a play making passer. the 1st read has to work to perfection or its trouble or he runs.

i never did not get amped for a game. trust me on that. no clue where that comment came from. as i said, syracuse football would be doomed if "the job is as good as his". quoted from you. Not shafer.

i still don't have faith in hunt as a passer especially a play making passer. the 1st read has to work to perfection or its trouble or he runs.

Oh? So you missed, amongst others, Hunt's bullet to Estime and his dead-on perfect throw to Clark just over the defender's outstretched arms. Hunt, as most good first-year QBs do, improved dramatically from the beginning of the season to the end. Seems like you're stuck in game 4 or so.

CusefanATL said:
i missed the 2nd paragraph about competition. seems odd to say after your 1st paragraph. but i should have continued reading. my apologies. i still don't have faith in hunt as a passer especially a play making passer. the 1st read has to work to perfection or its trouble or he runs. i never did not get amped for a game. trust me on that. no clue where that comment came from. as i said, syracuse football would be doomed if "the job is as good as his". quoted from you. Not shafer.

He does need to improve. Agreed.

You said it would be hard to root for the team next season (with THunt) with the offense being the same as this season. I said 1. He will get better and 2. I didn't have a hard time rooting for them this year.

My opinion was it's as good as his - Shafer already said it would be a competition. I take his word for it - but history points to it being hard to supplant a proven starter with a winning record as a freshman. If it happens? Great. I just think it's a 10% chance or thereabouts.

Hunt's mechanics break down under pressure, such as the bowl game. Bu,t he's gaining confidence and maturity and will improve tremendously in this regard. Look at the Pitt game when he hit 4 recievers in the hands in the endzone (3 were dropped) . Syracuse fans need to support Hunt and show him some love. If he stumbles, the coaching staff has shown that they will make the hard decision when needed.

You said it would be hard to root for the team next season (with THunt) with the offense being the same as this season. I said 1. He will get better and 2. I didn't have a hard time rooting for them this year.

My opinion was it's as good as his - Shafer already said it would be a competition. I take his word for it - but history points to it being hard to supplant a proven starter with a winning record as a freshman. If it happens? Great. I just think it's a 10% chance or thereabouts.
I think the key is...what is your definition of "proven"?

Since I am a glass half full person, I'd like to believe that Terrel's last two games were proof that he will be the "man" next year. But, if you look at his complete body of work, I understand where the doubts come from. Up to the BC game, TH was horrendous in conference games and had yet to throw a TD pass.

But, he proved in the BC game and the bowl that he has the ability to make plays and lead the offense efficiently. Hopefully, he can build off his successes and continue his improvement. If a RS frosh (or even AJ) can beat out an improved Terrel then I think that is a good thing because it means that the new QB must be really good.

i never said the team would be hard to root for the team with thunt.

i think you severely misinterpreted what i said or at least what i meant. and i believe your words that i responded to, were something to the effect of "the job is as good as his"

I meant that if we think Hunt is so good that the job is securely is, we are in for a rude awakening. I know that Shafer is going to open the competition up in the spring. Hunt is in the drivers seat because of his experience - but he isnt donovan mcnabb coming off a 9-3 1995 season.

he is coming off a very poor statistical season (padded by wagner and tulane) with no quality wins to speak of.

he does however have some "moxie" when it comes to some late game plays.

If we want to be better than a middle of the pack team - we need a big upgrade at QB next year. whether that is THunt improving or another player, we'll find out.

and if anything else, the 1 fact i will give you today is that i will be rooting for syracuse football from now until the end of time. win or lose. 0-12 or 14-0.

this is not anywhere near a real good class. I'm hoping you are using that in reference to where we have been and you dont actually mean its a legit "real good class". this is still a below average class in terms of our peers.

it is however a class that is helping us close the gap. it is better than it was.
I would say it's average compared to our peers. Outside of Miami, VT, Clemson, and FSU, this class compares favorably to the rest of the ACC. I agree with you that we are closing the gap but I don't think our class is by any means below schools such as Pitt, Wake, BC, Virginia, and the rest.

CusefanATL said:
i never said the team would be hard to root for the team with thunt. i think you severely misinterpreted what i said or at least what i meant. and i believe your words that i responded to, were something to the effect of "the job is as good as his" I meant that if we think Hunt is so good that the job is securely is, we are in for a rude awakening. I know that Shafer is going to open the competition up in the spring. Hunt is in the drivers seat because of his experience - but he isnt donovan mcnabb coming off a 9-3 1995 season. he is coming off a very poor statistical season (padded by wagner and tulane) with no quality wins to speak of. he does however have some "moxie" when it comes to some late game plays. If we want to be better than a middle of the pack team - we need a big upgrade at QB next year. whether that is THunt improving or another player, we'll find out.

We should leave the confusion over what was said, misunderstood be. I think we agree on the big stuff.

I would disagree slightly with the notion that he has no quality wins. BC, Minny, Maryland were all bowl teams and were good wins. No huge upsets (Clemson, FSU) and only the Pitt game stands as a head scratcher on his resume (but that's hardly on him alone...cough, McDonald, cough ).

And we can't forget the real WR issues we faced. Cornelius and Estime (and maybe Eskridge) really stepped up big to get us to 7-6. But prior to that our guys were not great, at all.

What's considered a quality win? SU beat BC and MN and both were bowl teams.

OK, for clarity, I meant "real good" compared to what we have done in the past 10 or 12 years, and there is a chance for that to be significantly better if we pull some upsets with Ward, Enoicy, Thomas and a couple of other January visitors. Could achieve the 50 range, and if that happens, we should throw a party for Shafer and his assistants.
But, to put it in context, our regional rivals have done better and are doing better this time around. Yes, I know this is not an exact science etc.

I want the best recruits possible as well. But I don't judge said recruits on an evaluation done by someone that isn't a head coach of a college team. I know that Syracuse scouts its own talent and doesn't use skout, rivles, espn, and 247. This is why we land kids that we offered first and they get big offers down the road. Regardless of what you believe, this is all that matters.

This post is 100% spot on. Wait, are you Eric White? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom