We interrupt your regularly scheduled Duke infomercial with breaking news... | Syracusefan.com

We interrupt your regularly scheduled Duke infomercial with breaking news...

RF2044

Living Legend
Reading some of the sports media's coverage of our win makes me smile -- we get a passing mention in some articles, with 99% of the rest focused on Duke.

The SI.com article referred to us as "middling," then went on to discuss Tre Jones's injury for the remaining 40 paragraphs of the hand wringing article.

To be sure, Jones going out in the first half / Reddish being out due to illness greatly helped the cause. I acknowledge that 100%. But I think our team deserves SOME credit -- after all, we did just knock off the #1 team in the country on their home court.

Its like all the sports media can do nowadays is focus on entertainment stories, not on actual events. Funny in some respects, really.

Jay Wiliams (inadvertantly, I'm sure) made a good point after the game; that dook still had a lot of talent that should have been able to step up in Jones & Reddish absence.

So I guess dook can't beat "middling" teams unless they have the #1 & #3 ranked players on the court? Sounds like a coaching problem! ;-)

ESPN did a terrible job, as usual. The halftime show during KU / UT was mostly K at the mic talking about Jones' sprained shoulder, blah, blah.

It's almost as if Duke lost to themselves and no one else was there.

Duke lost, not sure Syracuse won......almost like this is one of the JB forfeited wins.

Williamson was dominant, he scored 20 in the first half!! Wait, wasn't there someone on the winning team that scored 20 in the first half also?

Wait? Didn't a string freaking bean get 18 rebounds in just 32 minutes against Williamson?

Well at least they covered Hughes' circus shot.

I think RF hit it on the head perfectly, its all entertainment based coverage... no one really covers the news event properly anymore.

i believe the only time allison williams mentioned the cuse was post game with JB.

i believe the only time allison williams mentioned the cuse was post game with JB.

She didn't realize Cuse was there until she ran into JB post game.

Rumor has it, when she saw him she said;

"Hey what are you doing here Coach? Mind if we get your thoughts on the Duke loss?"

She didn't realize Cuse was there until she ran into JB post game.

Rumor has it, when she saw him she said;

"Hey what are you doing here Coach? Mind if we get your thoughts on the Duke loss?"
and it's not the first time with RBF. what did we ever do to her ? 7 of her last 8 tweets are about duke.

sideline-reporter-allison-williams-is-seen-during-the-notre-dame-picture-id635662158

Last edited:
Reading some of the sports media's coverage of our win makes me smile -- we get a passing mention in some articles, with 99% of the rest focused on Duke.

The SI.com article referred to us as "middling," then went on to discuss Tre Jones's injury for the remaining 40 paragraphs of the hand wringing article.

To be sure, Jones going out in the first half / Reddish being out due to illness greatly helped the cause. I acknowledge that 100%. But I think our team deserves SOME credit -- after all, we did just knock off the #1 team in the country on their home court.

Its like all the sports media can do nowadays is focus on entertainment stories, not on actual events. Funny in some respects, really.
It would be nice if someone mentioned that Syracuse starter Marek Dolezaj only played 12 minutes (Jones played 6), after being run over by the manbeast.

It would be nice if someone mentioned Elijah Hughes suffered a nasty blow to the head and went from 18 points in the first half to 0 points in the second half.

Syracuse played shorthanded too. Hughes couldn't even dribble the ball after getting hurt. That layup he made in OT was kind of shocking. I thought he was in total zombie mode.

elijah made the shot after the tumble. in the future we may want to burn a TO before halftime to whack him in skull.

Excellent OP. The Duke leg-humping machine was in overdrive for this one. In fairness, McDonough and Bilas called the game straight up, and Bilas even threw in a mention of Frank's surgery and recovery. WOW ... you mean SU's PG was hurt too ... wasn't at full strength ... couldn't get steals like he normally does? Amazing.

But half-time and post-game coverage was all Duh-k ... as though the opponent was nameless, and the loss a temporary distraction from the inevitable championship requiring an annoying re-shuffling of all of Duh-k's NBA talent.

Last edited:
would you expect anything less from dukie jay williams ? screw those williams !

Duke losing IS the story, not SU winning. Not sure why folks are getting so worked up about the narrative, #1 losing at home to any big underdog is going to focus on #1, not the dog.

None of us know if this is a fluke or is actually meaningful. Last night bought back I say two bad losses, but in the scheme of the story about this season it's still just a blip, unless SU moves forward and plays at a consistently higher level.

This win is meaningful from a national perspective in March if it's the moment SU trajectory changed, but it isn't an immediate story.

It would be nice if someone mentioned that Syracuse starter Marek Dolezaj only played 12 minutes (Jones played 6), after being run over by the manbeast.

It would be nice if someone mentioned Elijah Hughes suffered a nasty blow to the head and went from 18 points in the first half to 0 points in the second half.

Syracuse played shorthanded too. Hughes couldn't even dribble the ball after getting hurt. That layup he made in OT was kind of shocking. I thought he was in total zombie mode.
AND there was "no foul" on that play - NCAA and the NCAA refs and ESPN and twitterverse etc can circle jerk all they want to zion duke kentucky kansas unc etc - but the refs have a responsiblity to PROTECT the health and safety of players on the court! Zion gets a puff of air blown on him and its 2 shots - cuz he has a lot instagram followers and great dunks and a 4 letter name on his jersey??? (just speculating)

but hughes gets a (probable) concussion from a duke defensive play and no call...

I'm really surprised that the SU players are able to keep their cool under such biased unfair officiating - i hlaf-expected hughes or one of the other su players to get up in a refs face after some of those calls instead of just flailing their arms in disbelief - the whole team deserves a lot of respect for such mental fortitude.

Last edited:
Duke losing IS the story, not SU winning. Not sure why folks are getting so worked up about the narrative, #1 losing at home to any big underdog is going to focus on #1, not the dog.

None of us know if this is a fluke or is actually meaningful. Last night bought back I say two bad losses, but in the scheme of the story about this season it's still just a blip, unless SU moves forward and plays at a consistently higher level.

This win is meaningful from a national perspective in March if it's the moment SU trajectory changed, but it isn't an immediate story.
Eggszactly. Dead on balls accurate.

Syracuse displayed more class than DOOK, who every time they scored had to do some wild emotive display. Even when Hughes hit that 75 foot shot, he acted with class and humility like, yeah I threw it at the basket and every once in a while you get one. Very classy team.

I'll just leave this gem from the UNC board here.

Of course, I can see it now. "Let us go to the highlights of dook-UVA. Zion dunk. Zion dunk. dook this. dook that. The final, 74 UVA, dook 62. Let us now go to our college basketball experts to discuss this game." "dook dook dook. Always worth the price of admission." ----- "Let us go to the highlights of dook-UNC. Zion dunk. Zion dunk. dook this. dook that. The final, 88 UNC, dook 80. Let us now go to our college basketball experts to discuss this game." "dook dook dook. How can you not love them?"

Jay Wiliams (inadvertantly, I'm sure) made a good point after the game; that dook still had a lot of talent that should have been able to step up in Jones & Reddish absence.

So I guess dook can't beat "middling" teams unless they have the #1 & #3 ranked players on the court? Sounds like a coaching problem! ;-)
Jay Williams went to my high school as did Tyus Battle and Andrew Bynum. Did anyone hear Jay mention that? I missed opening remarks

Reddish has been inconsistent all year. He has not shot the ball well. Yes, he did make one at the end of the game against FSU, but he has underperformed. His defense is not good and O’Connel did make 4 threes last night. I doubt Redish makes four. Jones was a major loss, but no one cared when Howard was out for several games. Every team needs their point guard to win consistently.

Well, Duke losing I(saiah) S(tewart) to Syracuse is enough to get me worked up. ;):)

SU deserves a ton of credit. On the road. Hostile environment. Playing against the Top 2 draft picks. Period.

The perfect storm w/ SU clicking on 3's, contributions from 5 guys, solid rebounding, Buddy's banker, actually cracking 72+ pts, Duke missing all their 3's, the injury, and an 80-ft'er that falls...

That said, this win is much better than (but slightly akin) to our win @ #1Uconn back in the day, when they had top players out, only Duke had their beasts in. With Jones in, I believe Duke would've won in a laugher... we could barely dribble and pass around the perimeter w/o a TO. Ya have to believe his injury is the primary reason Syracuse isn't getting more notoriety... on top of our being manhandled by GT at home, and others -- hard to praise a team that's been previously mediocre, and make it national news that people care to read.

Unfortunately, we are still just a 1-on-1 offensive team. Only 13 of 35 shots were assisted on. We're near the bottom in assists nationally. Until we routinely run better offensive sets, we will continue to have clunker losses like GT, and a few shocking wins like last night.