"We just played three of the top teams in the country to a standstill. If you're getting beat by 20 by those teams, then you say, 'OK, we'll see.'" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"We just played three of the top teams in the country to a standstill. If you're getting beat by 20 by those teams, then you say, 'OK, we'll see.'"

It would be soooo like this team to beat Clempson by 20 on the road.
We beat Northeastern and Oakland by more than 20 this year and that’s it, why would it be like us to beat an actually decent team by 20, actually, we’ve beaten one decent team the entire year. I’ll give 10,000 to 1 odds that we do not beat Clemson by 20.

He doesn’t need the money. It goes deeper than that for him. He doesn’t want to go out on a losing slide. I understand that. But he doesn’t have the quality players because players don’t want all that uncertainty. Alas, it is time.
I think he doesn’t want to go out, period. He doesn’t want to stop being “Jim Boeheim, head coach of Syracuse basketball”.

And I’d argue that we don’t have enough quality players because he hasn’t worked hard enough to get them for several years. And he doesn’t have anyone on his staff who can get them either.

I think he doesn’t want to go out, period. He doesn’t want to stop being “Jim Boeheim, head coach of Syracuse basketball”.

And I’d argue that we don’t have enough quality players because he hasn’t worked hard enough to get them for several years. And he doesn’t have anyone on his staff who can get them either.
I would speculate that if this were football, most of us would be glad if assistants were changed because at least it would "feel" like someone cared about improving the program. It is kind of crazy that literally nothing has changed during this downturn.

I would speculate that if this were football, most of us would be glad if assistants were changed because at least it would "feel" like someone cared about improving the program. It is kind of crazy that literally nothing has changed during this downturn.
Yup. We needed to add a great recruiter when Hop left.

We didn’t.

Yup. We needed to add a great recruiter when Hop left.

We didn’t.
And I'm not even saying that they are at fault. I'm saying that the fact that nothing has changed keeps many fans hopeless. I would take it further and say it is telling that we're all in a place where we have to hope Adam Weitsman saves the day. That is an incredibly weak place to be as a program.

And I'm not even saying that they are at fault. I'm saying that the fact that nothing has changed keeps many fans hopeless. I would take it further and say it is telling that we're all in a place where we have to hope Adam Weitsman saves the day. That is an incredibly weak place to be as a program.
Yeah it can’t be an easy sell, pitching the program of a coach in his mid and late 70s (and featured his sons). Especially one that runs schemes that aren’t conducive to success in todays NBA.

That’s the thing that’s bothering me the most. This program is all about loyalty and it’s been to a fault lately. These guys don’t have any fear of losing their job, regardless of results, as long as Boeheim’s coaching. If Boeheim’s unwilling to shake up his staff when things have been going this poorly, then he needs to be the one that’s pushed out.

We beat Northeastern and Oakland by more than 20 this year and that’s it, why would it be like us to beat an actually decent team by 20, actually, we’ve beaten one decent team the entire year. I’ll give 10,000 to 1 odds that we do not beat Clemson by 20.
I'll take that action. Put me down for $10.

Clemson is 13-1 at home and has multiple shooters. Tossing a buck at those odds is of course a no brainer. We also aren't beating a now desperate team by 20 on their floor who wants those open 3s and can bury them, especially at home.

Last edited:

People with jobs / titles that are prominent within society have a hard time with separation from their jobs. They allow it to define them.

I've seen it first hand. Wrapping up your identity in your job is a huge issue in the LE / First Reaponder/ Military community. Seperation from service causes a lot of depression and identity crisis issues. There's actually a lot of good studies and reads out there on it if you felt so inclined. It's hugely important for people to build a life outside their work and not let their job and title define them. I'd be willing to bet that's a huge issue with JB right now and stepping down. Not the whole pie, but the largest chunk. He has no sense of identity outside of HC Syracuse basketball.

Indiana is the #14 program in the country right now.

And it will also take SU 30 years to get to that point again.

why? with a few of our pieces coming back we are probably top 14 next year.

why? with a few of our pieces coming back we are probably top 14 next year.
Eh, that seems optimistic.

#14 Indiana right now has 3 wins against top 25 teams, including #1 Purdue. They're 20th in KenPom and 23rd in RPI.

We'd need to be MUCH better than we are this year to get to that level. Not just in terms of wins, but who those wins are against. Our schedule is really weak.

People with jobs / titles that are prominent within society have a hard time with separation from their jobs. They allow it to define them.

I've seen it first hand. Wrapping up your identity in your job is a huge issue in the LE / First Reaponder/ Military community. Seperation from service causes a lot of depression and identity crisis issues. There's actually a lot of good studies and reads out there on it if you felt so inclined. It's hugely important for people to build a life outside their work and not let their job and title define them. I'd be willing to bet that's a huge issue with JB right now and stepping down. Not the whole pie, but the largest chunk. He has no sense of identity outside of HC Syracuse basketball.
Totally agree.

I find this all so unsettling because I always respected JB for having a life beyond basketball. He's aware of pop culture (can't say the same for most football coaches), goes to concerts, movies, shows, etc.

I really thought he'd be the type to just walk away one day after a season ended. No fanfare, no drama. And then he'd stay away from the program to let the next guy breathe.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Eh, that seems optimistic.

#14 Indiana right now has 3 wins against top 25 teams, including #1 Purdue. They're 20th in KenPom and 23rd in RPI.

We'd need to be MUCH better than we are this year to get to that level. Not just in terms of wins, but who those wins are against. Our schedule is really weak.
I haven’t wanted to be Debbie Downer over the last couple weeks because I did see improvement, but our best road win this year is vs 13-15 Boston College. We’ve played close games at home, sure, (also lost vs Bryant and Colgate), but we’ve literally beat no one outside of the dome with a WINNING RECORD. We’re not that close. We’re not even that close to the bubble.

the failure to hit the portal because we had "our best freshman class ever" is complete negligence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom