We may wind up with a better staff than when we started. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We may wind up with a better staff than when we started.

I feel like Doug Marrone leaving when he did just played with the emotions of Syracuse fans, I feel like if we had lost the Pinstripe bowl the reaction would be different. The Point I'm trying to make is that Doug left on a high note so we are only remembering what good he did(he built our program back up, we do owe him a debt), but I recall 4 very frustrating losses this year. I would wager that somewhere in America there is a coach who could win the ACC with the talent we have, Maybe we have that coach, maybe we dont. I see a lot of people freaking out because of the unknown but I am excited, I think we have a great HC in Shafer.

Will we lose more recruits, almost certainly yes. Will losing those recruits hurt, yes. A great coach can get over what ever obsticles Syracuse faces. Do we know if HCSS is a great coach? The answer is obviously no but I will not freak out at this point because the players we have on this team can do great things in the ACC, only time will tell how good HCSS is, so to freak out now is just doing a disservice to your brain.

Why would they lie? Makes absolutely no sense.

Unprepared? I doubt SS is ever unprepared for anything. I'm sure he and the staff (that is in place) are doing everything possible to secure recruits. i.e. see new QB offer.
My bad. Was losing a little faith on this roller coaster.

I really wish we would just name an offensive coordinator, ASAP. Might help us steal John O'Korn, which would REALLY lessen the blow of losing Allen. Lose a top Texas QB, gain a top FL QB that also helps us keep inroads at Aquinas. I'll take it.

Fine. I'm available right now. Would that make you happy?

People with decision diarrhea crack me up.

shafer doesn't care. good for him.

that's the hard-nose in him coming out. recruiting is a good place to have that attitude.

I'm kind of late to this, but we don't necessarily need to end up with a better staff in order to have a more successful staff.

Marrone and crew did all kinds of stuff that was great, and all kinds of stuff that shot themselves in the foot.

I'll have a comprehensive post about positive changes I expect us to observe as fans under Shafer's tenure at some point. Rest assured, it will be full of backhanded compliments and not-so-subtle digs at Marrone.

This staff is certainly going to be different than the old one. If they can coach as well and recruit better, we will have taken a big step forward.

Most encouraging is that talent like this wants to come to SU and wants to work with HCSS. To me this speaks volumes about where the program is and where it is headed.

The new offensive coaches are interesting to say the least. I really like the fact that Shafer knows these guys and knows that they can coach.

George McDonald
GM should be able to take advantage of the inroads we have made in Florida.
Here is the write-up on GM as a recruiter.
"Buzz: McDonald entered the recruiting year with a modest reputation as a recruiter, but put himself on the map in a big-time way by making a massive contribution to Miami's top 10 recruiting class of 33 signees. McDonald took a lead role in landing Miami's two five-star recruits, defensive back Tracy Howard from Miramar (Fla.) and running back Randy Johnson from Miami Norland. In between, the Hurricanes' receivers coach made sure he shored up his huge position of need. He was the primary recruiter of four-star receiver prospects Malcolm Lewis of Miramar and Robert Lockhart of Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy, along with three-star receiver D'Mauri Jones of Leesburg, Fla. McDonald also assisted on three-star receiver prospect Herb Waters of Miami Homestead and three-star Georgia receiver Jontavious Carter. He also added four-star prospect Ereck Flowers of Miami Norland and in the defensive backfield by recruiting cornerback Larry Hope from Miami American."

Tim Lester, QB Coach.
Lester was one helluva QB! He may be a future Div 1 OC or HC.
"Lester led Division-III Elmhurst to a 10-2 record in 2012. In Lester’s five seasons as head coach, Elmhurst went 33-19. As a player, Lester was Western Michigan’s all-time leading passer. He was fifth in NCAA history in passing yards with 11,299, and seventh in touchdown passes with 89 when he graduated from WMU in 2000."

Lester Erb, RB and ST?
"Lester Erb is in his 13th season at the University of Iowa. Erb is in his fifth season coaching the Iowa running backs after coaching Iowa's wide receivers for eight years. He has worked with special teams throughout his career at Iowa. He became a member of the Hawkeye coaching staff in 2000 after spending one year on the Army staff as tight ends coach."

The Defensive Coaches look pretty impressive as well:
Chuck Bullough, DC
From Nolan's article:
"Shafer, who is 46, said he hired the East Lansing, Mich., native because of their relationship, and the fact that they both love an attacking 4-3 defense that employs frequent blitzes.
“I’m in the business 22 years. There’s only a handful of people that you trust like a brother,” Shafer said during a news conference introducing him as the new SU head coach. “He’s a hard-nosed guy. He’s been in the NFL as a player and coach.”
“That’s the great thing. His scheme is basically my scheme,” said Bullough, who spent five years at UCLA as a linebackers coach and defensive coordinator before going to the Browns. “At Western, we came in and kind of had the same ideas. It’s the same basic defense, with linebackers off the ball. We just think alike.”

Clark Lea - it is some mean feat to be a finalist for LB COY from Bowling Green!
Other finalists were Bob Diaco, Notre Dame, Bob Gregory, Boise State, Kelly Poppinga and Paul Tidwell, BYU. Pretty good company.

"Clark Lea's linebackers lead a unit that stands alone as the Mid-American Conference's best defense. The 8-4 Falcons lead the MAC and rank in the top 15 nationally in total defense (289.7 yards per game), rushing defense (116.7), pass defense (173), pass efficiency defense (105.7 opposing quarterback rating), scoring defense (15.75 points per game) and sacks (3.08 per game). Lea's linebackers occupy the top four spots among Bowling Green's top tacklers, combining to notch 248 tackles, 27.5 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks, two interceptions, 11 pass breakups, 10 quarterback hits, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. The Falcons have been successful in limiting big plays, allowing the third fewest plays of 20-plus yards in college football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom