We need a….. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We need a…..

Girard was 6-9 today from 3. Went for team high 25. He is living large on an unbeaten team.
Wild how he's thriving when he's playing the role that he's supposed to be playing. He averaged a 15.5 TO% and a 20.5% Assist% with Syracuse and (not including last night) has a 8.0 TO% and a 20.8 Assist% with Clemson and he's shooting more threes and at a better rate. He's averaging fewer 2 pointers and fewer trips to the FT line - so he's not likely being asked to drive and shoot among the trees. His D still isn't great, but his offense is waaaay up.

Girard was 6-9 today from 3. Went for team high 25. He is living large on an unbeaten team.
I am going to throw up in my mouth for saying this because I was NOT a Girard fan, but this team could have used him as a 6 man off the bench instant offense guy. What kills me most? this team needed the two players that left the most.

Let that sink in for a sec...

I am going to throw up in my mouth for saying this because I was NOT a Girard fan, but this team could have used him as a 6 man off the bench instant offense guy. What kills me most? this team needed the two players that left the most.

I love how we are still doing the “6th man off the bench” talk for Joe if he was still here. Newsflash…..he is averaging the MOST minutes played on a 7-0 team that includes PJ Hall and a potential NBA prospect PG in Chase Hunter. Joe is a very smart kid, he would have been crazy to return to this team as he realized Mintz never looked for him. How many of Joe’s 88 threes last year came from a Mintz drive and kick out pass? I’ll take the under at 5!

Im telling ya... better dial it back. Mom or pop gonna come at you because he has a nice smile you know..
Ha. Yeah, I was in that thread, I know. :cool:

I am being tough on Judah because I like the young man. If we're going to have a decent year, he will HAVE to contribute at a high level. I just think he can do much more and am surprised to see him more like early season last year Judah. I don't think it's easy for kids like him to go through the nba process, not hear what they are hoping, and come back to school.

I love how we are still doing the “6th man off the bench” talk for Joe if he was still here. Newsflash…..he is averaging the MOST minutes played on a 7-0 team that includes PJ Hall and a potential NBA prospect PG in Chase Hunter. Joe is a very smart kid, he would have been crazy to return to this team as he realized Mintz never looked for him. How many of Joe’s 88 threes last year came from a Mintz drive and kick out pass? I’ll take the under at 5!
Family member? this reeks of butt hurt of course I don't think Joe would have ever accepted a 6th man role. I get it. but yeah he did not get set up well ever. we don't have those kinds of players currently.

Family member? this reeks of butt hurt of course I don't think Joe would have ever accepted a 6th man role. I get it. but yeah he did not get set up well ever. we don't have those kinds of players currently.
Haha, not a family member. I’m a Syracuse fan that happens to live close to GF so I’ve been able to follow both him and Jimmer during their careers. I get how message boards are, I played D1 hockey. But what I don’t get is how when arguably this teams most glaring weakness is at the 2G spot, IMO, is that there are only a select few on this board that can see JG3 would have certainly been a major help this year IF players shared the ball and all rotations are in sync on the defensive end to help cover for him if that was everyone’s biggest concern.

How many of Joe’s 88 threes last year came from a Mintz drive and kick out pass? I’ll take the under at 5!
Based on the data, more than 5. He had 29 assists to JG3 last season. How many were in the scenario you state? Not sure without going back through all the PBP data.

1701701823370.png

Haha, not a family member. I’m a Syracuse fan that happens to live close to GF so I’ve been able to follow both him and Jimmer during their careers. I get how message boards are, I played D1 hockey. But what I don’t get is how when arguably this teams most glaring weakness is at the 2G spot, IMO, is that there are only a select few on this board that can see JG3 would have certainly been a major help this year IF players shared the ball and all rotations are in sync on the defensive end to help cover for him if that was everyone’s biggest concern.
agree with you. I feel Girard would have had a better college career elsewhere honestly. this is proving out.

agree with you. I feel Girard would have had a better college career elsewhere honestly. this is proving out.
We he came out with his final 6 college choices list….most people in our area wanted him to pick Notre Dame or to a little lesser extent BC. They knew he wasn’t a great fit for Syracuses zone.

He would be the second best player on this team easily, don’t need him off the bench. But agree with everything else.

Q would be a great leader if he could lead by example a bit more. He commits way too many bad TOs.

That said, he is a great teammate and seems like a great kid.
Q seems like our spiritual leader or the guy to create the culture, which we need. But, we need a leader to hold players accountable, hustle, don’t take bad shots, stop stupid turnovers. Someone to lead by example and call out teammates when needed. Maybe they have someone like this. Should be Judah in theory.

What is really needed is a little less repetition between the sets of players ...

McLeod, Hima, Patterson, and Carey give you height, and a little bit of scoring, and
some D, but not enough to be a big factor, and little difference between them.

Copeland, Mintz, and Starling, and possibly Cuffe and Westry, you have five guys, all
about the same size, with about the same skillsets: great driving, inconsistent shooting, and
a mixture of other skills like rebounding, D, and passing.

They REALLY need 1) a guy to get consistent from the mid range so that there's something to look
at as a kick to after a drive, and 2) a dog on the glass to reb double digits. if asking, one of the
centers to do that, plus a couple blocks per, and not in the "per 40 min" stats, actual game
stats. Tailor made for Benny, but, he's not been the type of dog they need.

And yes, they need and could've used Edwards to stay. With Joe ... ugh. Do they need a shooter
who can make shots, yes. Do they need a "shooting guard" with a career 36% FG and a penchant
for really bad shots? No. JB botched those teams with his mins per game choices and roster
construction, then destruction. One of Joe and Buddy, and then one of Buddy or Junior, would
have been adequate. Not both, and then not all three. Just too repetitive skill-wise.

Kev

The way Judah acts isn’t just a Judah specific thing and anyone who thinks otherwise hasn’t watched enough youth ball over the years.
Now let me quote this with saying i dont agree or think it’s okay, just the sad truth.

Chill. Red inherited a f ing dumpster fire. We have sucked the last few years.
JB left him with a major rebuild. How about we give him half the time we gave Dino.

Hey wait a minute. I thought JB said this was “ the best recruiting class ever “

We need a Fran Brown for the basketball side. Just blow it all up.

No, it's way too early. They are making progress. Pieces are being installed. Player buy-in needs improvement, but Red showed himself willing to sit people down these last several games. He's trying to instill discipline. We'll know where we are in early to mid January. It won't be long.

Chill. Red inherited a f ing dumpster fire. We have sucked the last few years.
JB left him with a major rebuild. How about we give him half the time we gave Dino.
Inherited? Autry's been here since 2011. These have been his players as well.

The way Judah acts isn’t just a Judah specific thing and anyone who thinks otherwise hasn’t watched enough youth ball over the years.
This is true.

Not really. He didn’t get to make the final call, and we have no idea how many kids Red wanted to recruit and the old man said no.
If I recall this happened with Hopkins too.

That said, Red had the opportunity to change things up more than he did, two of our three best players left this year and brought in much less.

Not sure I’ve seen a collection of one or zero dimensional players on a team in my life.

He has a lot more work to do this offseason than he did last year, gambling isn’t going to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom