We need Buddy's scholarship for next season | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

We need Buddy's scholarship for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a current player wouldn’t have to leave.
JB can afford to make Buddy a walk-on.
This should be obvious.

Taking him off scholarship doesn’t make him a walk-on.. people playing fast and loose with the language . He’d be on the team based purely on basketball merit who happens pay his own way.. the term walk-on is frankly misleading

maybe a few kids. Probably Hughes and Jalen Carey. Maybe HoWash and Braswell. Do you know for sure Dolejaz is coming back? We won’t know until after the season.

You keep throwing out hypotheticals like what if nobody leaves, what if nobody wants to leave, what if Jackson came here. I can do that too.

What if several players leave? What if JB knows who is leaving?
Maybe Buddy transfers to Cornell to play with his brother and this all becomes moot.

No. I have been told that if he wants to leave, it is to his advantage to stay this semester.
Interesting. Why? Petition the NCAA kind of thing?

Interesting. Why? Petition the NCAA kind of thing?
I'd be curious too, but, in my vast experience as a college basketball fan - which includes thousands of hours every year on this here internet forum - it seems most college transfers stick out the season and don't transfer at the break except those who leave the team for other (e.g., disciplinary) reasons.

It all remains to be seen, but March/April will bring their share of surprises per the usual.

I'd be curious too, but, in my vast experience as a college basketball fan - which includes thousands of hours every year on this here internet forum - it seems most college transfers stick out the season and don't transfer at the break except those who leave the team for other (e.g., disciplinary) reasons.

It all remains to be seen, but March/April will bring their share of surprises per the usual.
If he’s going to apply for a medical, I thought the best option would be mid year

I think a medical redshirt can only be used to negate the participation in a season if you stay and don’t transfer. I think if he gets that he should still have 5/4 rule apply. Plus he can always go for a waiver.

I'm not sure about the center situation. I think both Edwards and JBA will make a jump. Maybe not next year. But the jump is coming. Both will be good players here.
Not questioning you but how can you tell with JBA? Have you seen him play? I haven’t heard a word so just wondering.

Taking him off scholarship doesn’t make him a walk-on.. people playing fast and loose with the language . He’d be on the team based purely on basketball merit who happens pay his own way.. the term walk-on is frankly misleading

isn’t this the definition of a walk on?

Hes going to be our best player for the next 2 years if Eli leaves. Hes my favorite player on the team.

Show him some respect JB. I know you don't want to do this because you don't want people thinking of him as a walk on.

Hes gonna be our best player and might even set NCAA records for 3 pointers will almost certainly get the school one. Our depth is awful and we've whiffed big time on recruits. It would also be one less guy we have to push out the door.

Feel bad for this team having to go to battle with no backups. None of Marek/JG3/BB s are suited to playing over 30 mins only Eli who is older and in his 4th season of NCAA ball is.

Over the years the last scholarship player on the roster has often ended up being very good and the guys we've turned away due to not having one more scholarship have also done well. Shouldn't even be a discussion and we should have a grad transfer center with that scholarship this year and Edwards redshirting with JBA.

400 more 3 pointers in 2.5 years seems like a bit much to ask. ;) If he does that, he will be our best player.

But I'm in agreement that we should use his scholarship if we need to. JB still gets the employee discount (90% of tuition paid for based on his salary) and can afford room & board.Yes, of course Buddy has earned the right to have a scholarship, but if it will benefit the team to give that scholarship to another player, it's a no brainer.

I wonder if Bryce Drew had a scholarship when he played at Valpo. I tried to look online, but could see anything

Not questioning you but how can you tell with JBA? Have you seen him play? I haven’t heard a word so just wondering.
I have heard. But we have heard that story before. So I don't blame anyone from being doubtful. But yes, I have heard he has some nice skills.

1/10 use of the joke and also it’s “Ok Boomer” be better
I am going to answer you when I shouldn’t.
The poster I am responding to does a great job not debating but being critical of what he disagrees with.

Doesn’t answer when asked to show this previous answers on this issue he claims have been said that would end the discussion when asked politely. Then turns to the attack the poster(in this case me) for whatever he wants to claim that allows nothing to be resolved but he can appear to be right.

When nothing is proven to his point but because in his mind whomever he is debating is crazy or stupid it doesn’t matter. It’s a smart tactic to use but it’s crap. I am loud and I can annoy but nothing I said was crazy but the poster just makes it about me so he doesn’t have to answer.

Sorry for the rant. He will comeback with a shot at me and not on the issue and it nothing gets resolved.
The point remains NOBODY has a clue what is fairly obvious about next year’s roster. Pretty much everyone but Girard or Buddy could go.

Nobody has a clue and if they do then they should spill the beans and break news.

a millionare's son taking up a scholarship which he gets for free anyways ? what wrong with that ?

a millionare's son taking up a scholarship which he gets for free anyways ? what wrong with that ?
This isn’t the issue at all. If we have available scholarships Buddy deserves one. The issue is we have a roster crunch right now and nobody has a clue how it will be resolved.
Buddy deserves a scholarship if we have one.

Have you ever talked to Marek? What basis do you have for making that statement? Now, Hughes, who you probably haven't talked to either, at least makes sense. Although I can say that no one is sure whether Hughes is leaving or staying. He is wise and is going to check his status.
He's been saying that for YEARS

buddy deserves it yes. buddy doesn't need it yes. roster crunch ? we play 6 !
currently there are all kinds of urban development grants originally designed to help the poor find affordable housing which the RICH have now manipulated to line their pockets and kick the poor to the streets instead.
point being millionaires don't need grants or scholarships. free money should go to those who truly need it.

Last edited:
This isn’t the issue at all. If we have available scholarships Buddy deserves one. The issue is we have a roster crunch right now and nobody has a clue how it will be resolved.
Buddy deserves a scholarship if we have one.

I think there are other forces at play here that have nothing to do with whether Buddy "deserves" a scholarship. Although he does. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of NCAA supervision or guidelines in place.

A few years ago, Duke recruited two kids that came from very rich families. These kids were given scholarships even though they could easily pay. Federal Express's Fred Smith son was on a football scholarship at UNC.

If schools like Duke allowed scholarship-level players to have their parents or someone else pay their tuition and fees it would in effect expand the number of scholarship-level layers they had on their roster. This would be an unfair advantage many would claim.

Its sort of like what Nebraska did with walk-on football linemen from Nebraska. These native Nebraskans would walk-on aided by the very low tuition at Nebraska for in-state kids. They would build them up and put them on scholarship for their last two years or at the point they were 300 lbs and could lift the back of pick-up truck up.

I think there are other forces at play here that have nothing to do with whether Buddy "deserves" a scholarship. Although he does. I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of NCAA supervision or guidelines in place.

A few years ago, Duke recruited two kids that came from very rich families. These kids were given scholarships even though they could easily pay. Federal Express's Fred Smith son was on a football scholarship at UNC.

Lee Melchionni's kid was one.

I think a medical redshirt can only be used to negate the participation in a season if you stay and don’t transfer. I think if he gets that he should still have 5/4 rule apply. Plus he can always go for a waiver.

Lots of examples of players transferring, redshirting during their year in residence per NCAA rules, getting injured after the redshirt year and being given a sixth year. I haven't been able to find a case where the medical year comes first, then transfer and get a year. Might be one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom