We only used 6? Really? | Syracusefan.com

We only used 6? Really?

corpjet

Board Prophet
We won, we are 24-0, who am I to question a HOF coach but why only use 6?

Is Tyler Roberson in the dog house?

Thank God Rak stayed out of foul trouble but gosh, would have loved to see TRob get some PT

corpjet said:
We won, we are 24-0, who am I to question a HOF coach but why only use 6? Is Tyler Roberson in the dog house? Thank God Rak stayed out of foul trouble but gosh, would have loved to see TRob get some PT

This was not a roberson game especially with the minutes silent g gave us. Plus rak did his job and played many minutes. I have no problem with the 6 playing

We won, we are 24-0, who am I to question a HOF coach but why only use 6?

Is Tyler Roberson in the dog house?

Thank God Rak stayed out of foul trouble but gosh, would have loved to see TRob get some PT

To be quite honest, I thought Boeheim used his bench really creatively in this game. Amazing that no one played 40 minutes, with Gbinije and Grant playing multiple positions.

This was not a roberson game especially with the minutes silent g gave us. Plus rak did his job and played many minutes. I have no problem with the 6 playing

Agreed. Roberson isn't ready to stand up to that level of physicality for long stretches yet.

The rotation today was a marked change from much of the season. G came in much earlier than he has been and stayed in a lot longer at the guard spots before moving to the 3. It was somewhat surprising to see the guard rotation change that much - expected changes in the front court rotation. But whatever boeheim saw, it worked. Gbinije was very good in his extended minutes.

could not give up any possessions in this game, which is proven by the fact that we had to win at the buzzer

Only 6 guys out of necessity, but a total of 22 bench mins. That's about what I would expect out of G and Roberson combined, so who cares if it only went to one guy who played well?

I mostly agree but it was still odd that TR didn't get in for even a minute

with SU down most of the night there was no chance JB was putting Roberson in

If you remember correctly, JB didn't want to use Roberson vs Pitt in the Dome. Didn't feel he was ready to read Pitt's offense.

I'm 32. I learned to stop questioning JB somewhere around 1996. For some it takes longer, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...

Congratulations on achieving that state at such a young age. For some on here it took much, much longer.

I came to believe that the unbelievers just wanted something to say or wanted to appear smart.

There's no JB non-believers or even Zone-doubters visible anymore. They don't dare lift their heads above the rims of their foxholes. You still hear glimmers (e.g. Doesn't use his bench enough.)

JB is easy to understand.

He wants to win. He wants to win more than anyone in the stands or anyone on this forum. He's not distracted by anything else. Not loyalty to seniors. Not money. Nothing else.

He will discipline players who don't do what they are supposed to be doing or that do something stupid by pulling them out of the game. He may be stern with them after he pulls them. But they accept it because they get that its not personal its because he wants to win.

Congratulations on achieving that state at such a young age. For some on here it took much, much longer.

I came to believe that the unbelievers just wanted something to say or wanted to appear smart.

There's no JB non-believers or even Zone-doubters visible anymore. They don't dare lift their heads above the rims of their foxholes. You still hear glimmers (e.g. Doesn't use his bench enough.)

JB is easy to understand.

He wants to win. He wants to win more than anyone in the stands or anyone on this forum. He's not distracted by anything else. Not loyalty to seniors. Not money. Nothing else.

He will discipline players who don't do what they are supposed to be doing or that do something stupid by pulling them out of the game. He may be stern with them after he pulls them. But they accept it because they get that its not personal its because he wants to win.

:eek:

Something to note- 2 of the 3 biggest shots of the game were by Fair, who was not playing well at all. VERY smart move by JB to give him a couple minutes of rest (I didn't think he was going to..). I truly think he needed it. In that sort of game with tons of physicality, guys need some breathers.

The 6 kids could all rotate for each other and give their teammates the rest needed. Silent being able to slide to the 3 makes this possible, glad Boeheim took Fair out when he did...it settled him down after a bit of Boeheim chewing in his ear a bit to calm/slow down.

The 6 kids could all rotate for each other and give their teammates the rest needed. Silent being able to slide to the 3 makes this possible, glad Boeheim took Fair out when he did...it settled him down after a bit of Boeheim chewing in his ear a bit to calm/slow down.
It was also appropriate that JB was yelling at Grant. Christmas, Keita, Coleman, and Fab Melo were thinking, "Welcome to the center position at Syracuse, Jerami."

It was also appropriate that JB was yelling at Grant. Christmas, Keita, Coleman, and Fab Melo were thinking, "Welcome to the center position at Syracuse, Jerami."

You watch Grants eyes when Boeheim was "talking" to him. Focused and listening...impressive to me that a kid that has that type of background and not a "Hey, my dad and uncle did this and that I know what I'm doing". Awesome and great point and don't forget to add Seikaly!

You watch Grants eyes when Boeheim was "talking" to him. Focused and listening...impressive to me that a kid that has that type of background and not a "Hey, my dad and uncle did this and that I know what I'm doing". Awesome and great point and don't forget to add Seikaly!
I did notice that. The kid knows how to man up and take criticism for what it is. That is rare these days.

About playing six players.

No one seems to be factoring the beneficial impact of playing a zone relative to it taking less effort and energy to play than M2M.

The rules that apply to a team playing Zone 100% of the time are different from a M2M team ... which is what 99% of teams play. Look at the energy these guys on the other team have to expend (e.g. chasing Cooney around the court) versus the SU players shuffling back and forth.

I don;t kn ow if it's 10% less or 20% less or whatevver. But it is less.

And that means the old rules about playing time are different.

It doesn't mean that SU players are immune to fatigue. What it does mean is that on average they expend less energy than a M2M team.

Didn't that undefeated Indiana team play a tourney game with only 6? Just sayin...