"we play no other defense" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"we play no other defense"

We have ZERO bench, and we need to be playing man or pressing? Think before you post man.. Our sophomore class is gonna be the death of us. Buss, BJ and Chino are giving us ZERO production it's that simple.
I think Buss will be solid if he stays here all 4 years (instead of transferring). Unfortunately I can't see BJ or Chino ever having meaningful contirbutions on the hill, hope I'm wrong.

No one is saying don't play zone but I can't, for the life of me, understand people arguing the development of a m2m to switch it up to once in a while.

The zone allows teams to blow us out of the water scoring 60 points because they can waste 30 seconds with zero pressure. The zone allows unathletic guys like the Greek to go off on us. Switch up to m2m for two minutes to get he other team out of rhythm but nah, JB wrote a book so we must only play zone..

A team with no bench doesn't need to be playing MTM...I mean we couldn't throw it in the ocean today.
There you have it. That's what the voice of reason sounds like.

always nice to have a change up pitch. (other than the pure chaos of the knuckleball trunk monkey)

Last edited:
I Just don't understand why we can't switch up afew possessions here and there especially when the other guys are shooting 50% from the floor. WE USED to do this not that long ago and its won it's games.

But we lost a exhibition once afew years back so 100% zone it is.

Reading this thread you'd think no team that plays man ever loses.

You say that because you don't understand JB's coaching philosophy.

Read the book.

I'm sure most have...doesn't mean we ask have to agree with the rationale.

I'm surprised we havne't heard the "no M2M team switches to zone if the other team is hot"

Here's the syracusefan.com via google translate:

English: I wish we would switch things up now and then and play man to man when we need a momentum shift.

Syracusefan.com: I hate JB and think I'm a better coach, I worship Izzo, and I think we should exclusively play m2m.

Again, people get so weird whenever anything that can be construed to be anti-Jim is brought up.

It would be nice to be able to play pressure man to man every now and then.

Does that make me anti-SU? Does that make me not understand the game of basketball? No.

That being said, this game was just awful offense. We have 3 scorers that all need to be on and even then nothing is guaranteed.

But, our defense in the first half the last two games has been really poor.

i'd agree that 1987 seems a bit premature for JB's declaration. i can remember when we would mainly switch over to zone just to protect an important big in foul trouble. i'd say early-mid 90's circa otis hill that zone became JB's mantra. it's getting old.

i'd agree that 1987 seems a bit premature for JB's declaration. i can remember when we would mainly switch over to zone just to protect an important big in foul trouble. i'd say early-mid 90's circa otis hill that zone became JB's mantra. it's getting old.

There was a game from John Wallace's senior year on Time Warner a while back. We switched up defenses quite a few times. Basically whenever the other team started to find a rhythm we would switch looks on them.

please. the bench doesn't even enter into this equation. boeheim gloated today he hasn't played man since '87.

I don't think the zone is the reason we lost today.

But I do recall a fine man-to-man defense being employed in 2003 against Pittsburgh (or maybe ND?) to rally from 10 down to win that game.

There was a game from John Wallace's senior year on Time Warner a while back. We switched up defenses quite a few times. Basically whenever the other team started to find a rhythm we would switch looks on them.

that's all i'm asking really.

So, OP uses the zone in his own name yet cant understand why?

Offense is the issue here

And we've been a top 5-20 team since 2008-09.

Sometimes you just get beat. You don't change your entire philosophy because of one bad game,

According to JB himself that's EXACTLY what we did.

I don't think the zone is the reason we lost today.

But I do recall a fine man-to-man defense being employed in 2003 against Pittsburgh (or maybe ND?) to rally from 10 down to win that game.

Kansas maybe? In KC? I remember switching to man and coming back to win. Defense isn't the problem. We can't put the ball in the basket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom