We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

Dude was actually boxing his man out…I will give him that
I noticed that too and was pushing back on some guys too - something everyone on our team except Maliq could take a note on. He is obviously raw and limited but he did not look totally out of place. Red took a chance near the end of the half sitting Maliq and he held his own. We need 5-8 minutes a night.

I know Red knows that, he's just still under a residual Boeheim latter years style of play. They have enough athletes, they can play 10 guys. Less half court set offense, more transition shooting when they have an open look. That was old school Boeheim when Red was in his playing days.
They are now down to eight healthy guys who could reasonably play big minutes, plus whatever you can get from Carey and Hima. Red will have to pick his spots with how he deploys them offensively and defensively, and cross his fingers that they can stay out of foul trouble and avoid any more serious injuries.

They are now down to eight healthy guys who could reasonably play big minutes, plus whatever you can get from Carey and Hima. Red will have to pick his spots with how he deploys them offensively and defensively, and cross his fingers that they can stay out of foul trouble and avoid any more serious injuries.
That's 10 guys. Al I'm saying is have Carey run the floor when he's in there. They get the rebound and the guards start bringing it up, have him release. If he's open, throw it to him. If another defender goes to cover him, that leaves an open shot for one of the other guys. They have success sending Malik, but I don't think you want to run him hard all game long. If Carey could score some baskets like that when he's in, it would be huge. I mean, he looks fast to me.

That's 10 guys. Al I'm saying is have Carey run the floor when he's in there. They get the rebound and the guards start bringing it up, have him release. If he's open, throw it to him. If another defender goes to cover him, that leaves an open shot for one of the other guys. They have success sending Malik, but I don't think you want to run him hard all game long. If Carey could score some baskets like that when he's in, it would be huge. I mean, he looks fast to me.
That's 8.5 guys.

I’m not saying Carey is going to turn into some great player, but I think the board forgets how awkward Jesse looked when he was out there as a freshman.
My comment on seeing Jesse for the first time was that if Bambi was about a baby giraffe, it would have starred Jesse Edwards.

I thought Carey showed potential. The question is whether the staff permits him to realize his potential here in the era of instant impact player transfers.

define a solid contributor and I will take that bet.

People overestimate when they think they remember the actual production that "projects" have had and still developed. At this point, Carey has still played fewer minutes than JBA did in his freshman year after a red shirt. Nice kid, but he's far from being able to play high D1 basketball and based on history, he won't.
5 plus minutes a game
Solid D
Rebounding

I was impressed with his heart and eagerness, teammates body language was also very encouraging. They were definitely trying to help him out and root for him. Kid just needs more experience. Definitely give home 5-10 mins a game. He could really take some leaps.

I thought Carey showed potential. The question is whether the staff permits him to realize his potential here in the era of instant impact player transfers.
Why I liked him taking that shot, it was the right shot and you don't want him to start out being scared to make a mistake.

Why I liked him taking that shot, it was the right shot and you don't want him to start out being scared to make a mistake.

Well said. I also took that as a positive indication that the kid is welcoming the opportunity and not fearing the outcome. Coach Red's style may promote that in his players, obviously we would need a much bigger sample size over a long time period to make that case. My point is that; Carey decisively taking that shot reflects well on him and the coaches.

Taking that shot so early in that possession could have turned the momentum back to Pitt. Fortunately, it didn't. It was ill-advised, but hopefully he learned something there.

Taking that shot so early in that possession could have turned the momentum back to Pitt. Fortunately, it didn't. It was ill-advised, but hopefully he learned something there.
It was certainly ill advised but we take a number of dumber shots, early in the shot clock every game. Shot selection and situation is dreadful for this team.

If the whole game boiled down to that shot, then we didn't deserve to win. I'm talking bigger picture of getting/building the guy to compete at this point of the season.

One of the most lost players I’ve ever seen on a floor. Anyone who said he’s further or similar to sophomore or even freshman Jesse is either stupid or blind.

One of the most lost players I’ve ever seen on a floor. Anyone who said he’s further or similar to sophomore or even freshman Jesse is either stupid or blind.
Who? PC?

Carey
To small of a sample size for that. However, he didn't hurt us in his 7 minutes or so.

Anyway! You said you had drinks, goodies and was talking ish with the band or something! You didn't see the game!;) Somebody mentioned "Ante up" and I was wishing I was rolling with YOU!!

To small of a sample size for that. However, he didn't hurt us in his 7 minutes or so.

Anyway! You said you had drinks, goodies and was talking ish with the band or something! You didn't see the game!;)
I watched it back this morning, he’s so slow to react that he isn’t going to last at the most 15 minutes a game before fouling out. I remember three things from last night about the game, impressed how hard Judah worked at getting rebounds, they weren’t as easy as they looked on TV, their band had one of the largest collection of geeks I’ve ever seen, and Carey was awful.

I watched it back this morning, he’s so slow to react that he isn’t going to last at the most 15 minutes a game before fouling out. I remember three things from last night about the game, impressed how hard Judah worked at getting rebounds, they weren’t as easy as they looked on TV, their band had one of the largest collection of geeks I’ve ever seen, and Carey was awful.
LMAO!!

Carey doesn't seem to have a feel for the game.
He doesn't. He hasn't played.

But he was active, couple blocks, definitely not a stiff, long, athletic and showed a lil heart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom