We really need Dino to turn this around | Syracusefan.com

We really need Dino to turn this around

HRE Otto IV

All American
Next year is not the year to be looking for a HC. It could be an all time carousel.
Between this year and next you could see openings at:

Vandy (confirmed)
South Carolina (confirmed)
Michigan (IMO Harbaugh goes to NFL to save face this year)
Texas (this year if scum Urban replaces his protege or next year if they aren't Top 15)
Arizona (think Covid saves him this year but needs to turn it around next year or else)
Nebraska (see Arizona)
Tennessee (see Nebraska)
Purdue (they are heading the wrong way and next year can't be the same)
USC (might preemptive fire for Urban this year but gotta think next year this job is open otherwise)
Auburn (could happen this year and unless they have a 10-2 season next year it will likely happen)
UCLA (would he survive 4 losing seasons if that is how it plays out?)
Illinois (see Tennessee)
Minnesota (should Fleck leave for a better job)
Kentucky (if Stoops gets a better offer)
NC State (should Doeren jump ship)
Pitt (should Nardog jump ship)
Wake (should Clawson jump ship)
BC (should Hafley jump ship)
LSU (it is LSU)
Oregon State (if he can't turn things around)
Iowa (if anything ever comes out of that mini scandal)
UCF (should he get a better job)
Cincy (should he get a better job)
Indiana (should he jump ship)
Iowa State (he will end up somewhere else)
Oklahoma (should he go to the NFL)
Bama (should he retire)
Clemson (should he go to Bama)

Auburn fans are nuts. Malzahn turned their hapless program around in 2013 and is 67-35 (.657) in the SEC.
Don't think Nebraska dumps Frost so quickly.
Dabo has a better program at Clemson and he built it. Doubt he goes anywhere.
I have a feeling Campbell is a Beamer kind of guy and will be there a very long time.
Coach O just won a NC and this year is covid so he is good for awhile.

Texas, Southern Cal and Michigan would be earthquakes.

Wow, that is one Hellacious pile of speculation! (Not necessarily a bad thing.)

There is no stability anywhere in today's game. A school like Cincinnati some how has made good hires every time. Really the only way to have stability is to not miss time and again which is nearly impossible to do.

By decade hired at current school:

1 - 1990s (Iowa)
13 - 2000s only 8 were P5 schools
2010s everyone else

HCs who are still at their current school when SU joined the ACC in 2013:
G5 13 out of 65
P5 14 out of 65

Auburn fans are nuts. Malzahn turned their hapless program around in 2013 and is 67-35 (.657) in the SEC.

Just curious...what are you referring to when you say “hapless program”?

44cuse

There will be NFL teams sniffing around the college scene every year as well. Jets are no doubt already looking

There will be NFL teams sniffing around the college scene every year as well. Jets are no doubt already looking

Jets should throw equity at Nick Saban. I mean why not.

A bit over the top, due to the mess that 2020 is, it's very likely there will be more coaches fired next year than normal, however I don't think it gets that bad. That said, we will only be looking at the same coaching pool as a few of these schools anyway if we were to replace Dino but I don't think we will be looking for a new coach anyway

I think Dino has a better chance turning this around than we think. Tony white is a stud. Devito coming back should help. We’ll see. But it’s just not the time to go search for a coach unless he wins 1 game again ...

In other news, I have some close Michigan friends who are saying Harbaugh is likely going to get a 3 year extension and he is going to fire his whole staff and given more money to hire new coordinators. How lucky is this clown? I mean he’s terrible and they are thinking he’s the messiah. Thought u all may enjoy that.

Jets should throw equity at Nick Saban. I mean why not.
I would mention “Dolphins,” but you’d counter with “Jets,” and you’d win. Still, I don’t think I’d give away enough equity to pry him away from Alabama, esp. given his NFL track record. I get that they can’t get worse, but you can still pay a LOT for better, but still bad.

I think Dino has a better chance turning this around than we think. Tony white is a stud. Devito coming back should help. We’ll see. But it’s just not the time to go search for a coach unless he wins 1 game again ...

In other news, I have some close Michigan friends who are saying Harbaugh is likely going to get a 3 year extension and he is going to fire his whole staff and given more money to hire new coordinators. How lucky is this clown? I mean he’s terrible and they are thinking he’s the messiah. Thought u all may enjoy that.
I think that Dino looks way better next year. I’m not on the DB bandwagon, as I’m not sold on him for SU (I think SU is a 7-8 win school, and I think DB is a 5-6 win coach - obviously outliers happen both ways), but I think we go bowling.

Just curious...what are you referring to when you say “hapless program”?

44cuse
The prior year that didn't win a single SEC game.

Why is he a clown or lucky? The guy has instantly made every team/program significantly better immediately. Kind of what I would want a coach to do. Seems like he does have an expiration date of about 4 years though. As far as the coordinators, we would have killed to have Don Brown running our defense and recruiting the New England area for us. Was an excellent hire and had top 5 defenses annually but the evolution of offenses has seemed to figure out how to neuter and torture his defenses of late and especially with no experience in the secondary this year.

This offseason is his opportunity. The opportunity to make a dramatic turnaround is there. So far I'm optimistic on seeing what has happened on our end of the portal. Having Tommy come back is 100% the right move. Sucks we're losing Josh Black as he could have helped but that's really outside the staff's control.

I want to see room made on the roster where we see crowded depth charts on our end normalized.

I want to see appropriate, experienced QB depth.

I want to see us bring in at least one Grad Transfer, JUCO, etc upperclassman Lineman on both sides of the ball.

I want to see us exploit traditional transfers and stockpile some talent that can help offset any recruiting misses coming off a rough season this season.

I want to see us close out the 2021 recruiting class strong. Retain who we have and add a couple of more high value pieces.

The prior year that didn't win a single SEC game.
OK, I guess I'm being a little nit-picky (or maybe not)...but I wouldn't call a program that had 2 undefeated seasons in the previous 10 years (I think, and I also think there was another 10 win season in there) necessarily a "hapless program."

We are pretty bad/awful...I'd hate to hear what you call us if that is "hapless"! :)

44cuse

Idk if it’s a bit of a hyperbole but if we get 1,2,3 wins he gone.

OK, I guess I'm being a little nit-picky (or maybe not)...but I wouldn't call a program that had 2 undefeated seasons in the previous 10 years (I think, and I also think there was another 10 win season in there) necessarily a "hapless program."

We are pretty bad/awful...I'd hate to hear what you call us if that is "hapless"! :)

44cuse
I’m not sure that they’ve had an undefeated season, but they did have 3 straight 11 win seasons.

This forum severely undervalues USCarolina.

They aren’t Alabama, but they absolutely have strong up stretches.

Don't think Nebraska dumps Frost so quickly.
Dabo has a better program at Clemson and he built it. Doubt he goes anywhere.
I have a feeling Campbell is a Beamer kind of guy and will be there a very long time.
Coach O just won a NC and this year is covid so he is good for awhile.

Texas, Southern Cal and Michigan would be earthquakes.

Not sure I would classify a program that at the time was less than 3 years from an undefeated national championship season and Heisman trophy winner as hapless. Or by what criteria Clemson is a better program than Alabama, though I do agree that Dabo is very much likely to stay put at this point.

In the speculation department there’s enough smoke and buzzing that I really don’t think Orgeron is good for awhile at LSU and I’d be pretty shocked if Campbell is at ISU after the next few rounds of the coaching carousel.

Why is he a clown or lucky? The guy has instantly made every team/program significantly better immediately. Kind of what I would want a coach to do. Seems like he does have an expiration date of about 4 years though. As far as the coordinators, we would have killed to have Don Brown running our defense and recruiting the New England area for us. Was an excellent hire and had top 5 defenses annually but the evolution of offenses has seemed to figure out how to neuter and torture his defenses of late and especially with no experience in the secondary this year.
He hasn't turned Michigan around. O for his tenure against osu. He's 3-3 against sparty and let's face it sparty hasn't been great the past 6 years. He is supposed to be a QB guru he can't find a QB to save his life. Although McNamara looks decent

I’m not sure that they’ve had an undefeated season, but they did have 3 straight 11 win seasons.

This forum severely undervalues USCarolina.

They aren’t Alabama, but they absolutely have strong up stretches.
2004 and 2010. I think Cam might have been on that 2010 team.

Agree with you on this forum’s view. That said, in the bigger picture of college football, it’s actually gotten better a bit.

44cuse

2004 and 2010. I think Cam might have been on that 2010 team.

Agree with you on this forum’s view. That said, in the bigger picture of college football, it’s actually gotten better a bit.

44cuse
Undefeated: I thought you means USCarolina ... ships in the night.

This offseason is his opportunity. The opportunity to make a dramatic turnaround is there. So far I'm optimistic on seeing what has happened on our end of the portal. Having Tommy come back is 100% the right move. Sucks we're losing Josh Black as he could have helped but that's really outside the staff's control.

I want to see room made on the roster where we see crowded depth charts on our end normalized.

I want to see appropriate, experienced QB depth.

I want to see us bring in at least one Grad Transfer, JUCO, etc upperclassman Lineman on both sides of the ball.

I want to see us exploit traditional transfers and stockpile some talent that can help offset any recruiting misses coming off a rough season this season.

I want to see us close out the 2021 recruiting class strong. Retain who we have and add a couple of more high value pieces.
i want to have a hc who is not so stubborn and rigid, can recruit ol and dl that are capable to play at this level w/o getting injured even before playing, who does not continuously make excuses, does not appear overwhelmed, and finally does not have misplaced loyalty to particular players or coaches at the expense of the team. i would feel better if he said nothing until kickoff next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom