We will have a Big who can post next year? | Syracusefan.com

We will have a Big who can post next year?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I want to see offense where we can throw the ball down low and get some paint points. Lydon has tried this year but he isn't great at it and our PGs are terrible at feeding him.

I really hope Hopkins can teach offense and get some post scoring.

Post scoring works on the road and at home. I think our road problems are related to poorer perimeter shooting on the road.

I want to see offense where we can throw the ball down low and get some paint points. Lydon has tried this year but he isn't great at it and our PGs are terrible at feeding him.

I really hope Hopkins can teach offense and get some post scoring.

Post scoring works on the road and at home. I think our road problems are related to poorer perimeter shooting on the road.
I have actually been impressed with Lydon's back to the basket moves. But, as you said, the guards don't feed him. Other than him, it would have to be one of the freshman or Thompson will have to improve in that area. I like Thompson's potential as a post scorer, because he has great touch and length, but he has to put on some good weight.

I have actually been impressed with Lydon's back to the basket moves. But, as you said, the guards don't feed him. Other than him, it would have to be one of the freshman or Thompson will have to improve in that area. I like Thompson's potential as a post scorer, because he has great touch and length, but he has to put on some good weight.

He ends up catching the ball too far from the basket as a result of his slender build, as you state.

It's all meaningless if the coach doesn't think there is a value to it though. The guards won't (or can't) feed the post unless JB tells them to, and pulls them when they miss guys in great position.

I'm tired of others saying Lydon's moves are weak. That's all a function of getting him the ball when he wants it, and where he wants it. It's a simple game when you hit both of those items.

His moves around the rim are pretty good. His problem is that he can't/won't go up strong and finish. He has worked himself open a lot of times off a fake and/or dribble, but when it comes time to shoot, he freezes, pump fakes, pump fakes again, or gets his shot blocked. He should have developed a baby hook shot.

His moves around the rim are pretty good. His problem is that he can't/won't go up strong and finish. He has worked himself open a lot of times off a fake and/or dribble, but when it comes time to shoot, he freezes, pump fakes, pump fakes again, or gets his shot blocked. He should have developed a baby hook shot.

I don't believe this is true at all. Occasionally maybe, but the reality is he rarely gets the ball when he has his man sealed at the right moment. It's 90% guard issues, not Lydon.

I don't believe this is true at all. Occasionally maybe, but the reality is he rarely gets the ball when he has his man sealed at the right moment. It's 90% guard issues, not Lydon.
If you insist. It's a combination of factors, not 90% (I think this might be a made up figure) guard issues, as you say. I've watched the whole season, like most on here. TL gets the ball down low a handful of times a game. Sometimes in good position, other times not. Sometimes from a feed, other times from a rebound. Anyhow he gets it, he struggles to put it up and in, except when he comes in from the FT line for a rebound-flush.

Last edited:
If you insist. It's a combination of factors, not 90% (I think this might be a made up figure) guard issues, as you say. I've watched the whole season, like most on here. TL gets the ball down low a handful of times a game. Sometimes in good position, other times not. Sometimes from a feed, other times from a rebound. Anyhow he gets it, he struggles to put it up and in, except when he comes in from the FT line for a rebound-flush.

Well, if you bring in getting the ball on rebounds, that's a completely different subject, and I won't argue about that at all. I think his injury has limited his athleticism some, and possibly made him a bit tentative in the compressed spaces. There have been several times when I wished he threw it down on a put back and wondered why he didn't.

I was just talking about the back to the basket part of his game.

Throwing the ball to our bigs in the post has been an issue for the Syracuse guards in our program since Rick Jackson graduated. Christmas waited until his Senior year to receive a post pass. Gillon I understand can't pass around bigger guys, but the rest of them don't have that excuse.

Throwing the ball to our bigs in the post has been an issue for the Syracuse guards in our program since Rick Jackson graduated. Christmas waited until his Senior year to receive a post pass. Gillon I understand can't pass around bigger guys, but the rest of them don't have that excuse.
We need Billy Owens to come in and give a clinic.

Yeah if Lydon wants to post up a lot we should use it. He can draw fouls and he is a great FT shooter.

Post scoring is essential in college hoops it just doesn't seem to be a priority for JB. I wish instead of
Ball screening the bigs would post up and give an angle for the pass.

Yeah if Lydon wants to post up a lot we should use it. He can draw fouls and he is a great FT shooter.

Post scoring is essential in college hoops it just doesn't seem to be a priority for JB. I wish instead of
Ball screening the bigs would post up and give an angle for the pass.
I agree, and that is part of the reason I thought we were going to be a bit better early on in the season. Except, I thought that DCII was going to be providing some back to the basket scoring. Turns out, Lydon has really good footwork. With our outside shooting, you would think there would be plenty of room to operate in the post, but nobody seems to get it there. We have had some success with the high-low entry, but we don't go there enough. I think both Thompson and Roberson have fed Lydon down low from the high post. I would like to see more of that, as well.

Lydon absolutely has a baby hook. He's employed it to good effect numerous times this year.

There is no doubt in my mind if Omer Yurtseven came here he would be going to the Nba next year. I just looked at his NC State numbers they weren't that great but he is the post offense we could have used. I wonder if he could have played the zone middle.

I'll take a Center who has range over a Center with post moves all day.

Just work on your jump shot and a baby hook with each hand.

With Gillon/White/Battle we really need to feed Lydon down low more.

I mean it's not hard to practice. Post scoring helps open up the perimeter. We have no more games at home(hopefully) so spread the court better.

If you are a big guy, you have to DEMAND the ball when you have position. Imho, TL is simply too nice a guy to do that often though he does do it on occasion - not as much as some posters seem to think. He has the skill set to be a good post up player, but he lacks the ME first attitude to be a great low post player.

And some of this is true even with his outside game. Often he will pass up open shots to get the ball to a teammate. Again, I like team players like TL, but he hasn't reached his full potential precisely because of his total unselfishness.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree, and that is part of the reason I thought we were going to be a bit better early on in the season. Except, I thought that DCII was going to be providing some back to the basket scoring. Turns out, Lydon has really good footwork. With our outside shooting, you would think there would be plenty of room to operate in the post, but nobody seems to get it there. We have had some success with the high-low entry, but we don't go there enough. I think both Thompson and Roberson have fed Lydon down low from the high post. I would like to see more of that, as well.
Whens the last time one of our guards drove to the rim and actually attempted, looked for, or considered passing the ball? It may be my biggest complaint about Gillon is that he doesn't have to try and finish every time he drives. Its not just him, Battle same thing (though he's 6" taller) and even Howard. Last year in the tournament the best thing Howard did was drive and dish. Now he's drive and miss.

If you are a big guy, you have to DEMAND the ball when you have position. Imho, TL is simply too nice a guy to do that often though he does do it on occasion - not as much as some posters seem to think. He has the skill set to be a good post up player, but he lacks the ME first attitude to be a great low post player.

And some of this is true even with his outside game. Often he will pass up open shots to get the ball to a teammate. Again, I like team players like TL, but he hasn't reached his full potential precisely because of his total unselfishness.

YMMV.

Cheers,
Neil

yeah, it's posts like these that drive me nuts. He's in position screaming for the ball and Gillon looks away. What else does Lydon need to do in these situations to "DEMAND the ball?" There were numerous times this year where Lydon had a guard on his hip and still didn't get the ball. I guess you're saying he should go punch Gillon right in the face when he fails to respond to Lydon's DEMANDS...

I won't for college. Give me Isaac Haas over Jayson Tatum in college hoops.

Post scoring gives your perimeter players room that allows the paint not be filled and gives offense that works home/road equally.

I want Rick Jackson over Tyler Lydon all day long in college hoops.
Especially Senior year Rick.

yeah, it's posts like these that drive me nuts. He's in position screaming for the ball and Gillon looks away. What else does Lydon need to do in these situations to "DEMAND the ball?" There were numerous times this year where Lydon had a guard on his hip and still didn't get the ball. I guess you're saying he should go punch Gillon right in the face when he fails to respond to Lydon's DEMANDS...

Gillon hater. ; )

Personally, I would prefer, for the sake of a diverse offense, a center with serious post moves. He, of course, would also be able to pass out of the post when double teamed.

Gillon hater. ; )

No, you're right, I shouldn't single out Gillon. White would have been much more effective this year as well, Battle the same. Those are the two guys who should have been feeding the post as they have more size than their defender typically. It's all a function of the offense.

I won't for college. Give me Isaac Haas over Jayson Tatum in college hoops.

Post scoring gives your perimeter players room that allows the paint not be filled and gives offense that works home/road equally.

I want both Rick Jackson and Tyler Lydon. Because if we had Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon would not be playing center.

I won't for college. Give me Isiac Haas over Jayson Tatum.

If we could competently run a pick n pop, I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Especially with the slashers we have coming in.. If our Center can pull his man away from the basket - dribble drive all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom