We will have a Big who can post next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We will have a Big who can post next year?

I want both Rick Jackson and Tyler Lydon. Because if we had Rick Jackson, Tyler Lydon would not be playing center.

Tyler would be at the foul line either throwing passes to Rick or banging down shots all game long.

Whens the last time one of our guards drove to the rim and actually attempted, looked for, or considered passing the ball? It may be my biggest complaint about Gillon is that he doesn't have to try and finish every time he drives. Its not just him, Battle same thing (though he's 6" taller) and even Howard. Last year in the tournament the best thing Howard did was drive and dish. Now he's drive and miss.
Yeah, I have said in another post, that I don't think that Gillon has great vision. I am really happy we have him, because he has done well this year. However, he is not the kind of point guard that is great at creating for others.

Whens the last time one of our guards drove to the rim and actually attempted, looked for, or considered passing the ball? It may be my biggest complaint about Gillon is that he doesn't have to try and finish every time he drives. Its not just him, Battle same thing (though he's 6" taller) and even Howard. Last year in the tournament the best thing Howard did was drive and dish. Now he's drive and miss.

The only time I have seen some drive and dishes/dump offs have been those horrendous lob attempts by both Gillon and Howard. Maybe the staff put the kibosh on those moving forward. We're going to live or die with ISO jumpers/threes.

The only time I have seen some drive and dishes/dump offs have been those horrendous lob attempts by both Gillon and Howard. Maybe the staff put the kibosh on those moving forward. We're going to live or die with ISO jumpers/threes.

they have both tried some dish passes, but we've got Roberson in on occasion and his hands have morphed into mittens.

yeah, it's posts like these that drive me nuts. He's in position screaming for the ball and Gillon looks away. What else does Lydon need to do in these situations to "DEMAND the ball?" There were numerous times this year where Lydon had a guard on his hip and still didn't get the ball. I guess you're saying he should go punch Gillon right in the face when he fails to respond to Lydon's DEMANDS...

Yes, everything is the guards' fault. None of this is whatsoever on Lydon.

Cheers,
Neil

Sounds glorious, doesn't it?

I've said for years now that the guys most equipped to feed the post are other bigs who actually know how to play the post. I don't know why guards can't find the right angle and put the ball where the receiving player wants it. Maddening.

Yes, everything is the guards' fault. None of this is whatsoever on Lydon.

Cheers,
Neil

So, when he's got a guard on his hip and perfect position literally under the basket, but still doesn't get the ball, whose fault is it?

I've said for years now that the guys most equipped to feed the post are other bigs who actually know how to play the post. I don't know why guards can't find the right angle and put the ball where the receiving player wants it. Maddening.
Many guards can feed the post, but it does seem to be a fading art. The big has to seal his man and the guard has to get it to a spot where only the big can get it. The rest of the guys make sure there is space. It doesn't seem like it is difficult. I think other bigs have better angles in which to pass.

they have both tried some dish passes, but we've got Roberson in on occasion and his hands have morphed into mittens.[/QUOT

Yup. Was going to edit. I do remember a couple times where there were good drives and dishes to Roberson but he fumbled it away like you said.

If we could competently run a pick n pop, I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Especially with the slashers we have coming in.. If our Center can pull his man away from the basket - dribble drive all day.
Rick Jackson is more valuable in the college game.
Lydon is more valuable in the pro game.

Scoring is way harder in the college game thus post scoring is more valuable.

So, when he's got a guard on his hip and perfect position literally under the basket, but still doesn't get the ball, whose fault is it?

And how often does that happen? Imho, you exaggerate the number of times this has happened. And for a guard to deliver him the ball, they need to be open as well. A big guy can wave their hands all they want, but if the guard (which nine times out of ten is going to be Gillon) with the ball is covered they can't magically phase the ball through their defender to get it to him.

But we are going in circles. Like I said in my original post, your mileage may vary. And it obviously does. I think you are wrong to put the whole blame on Gillon and you think I am wrong to say it isn't always on the guards, but Lydon's own unselfishness is sometimes the problem.

Peace,
Neil

And how often does that happen? Imho, you exaggerate the number of times this has happened. And for a guard to deliver him the ball, they need to be open as well. A big guy can wave their hands all they want, but if the guard (which nine times out of ten is going to be Gillon) with the ball is covered they can't magically phase the ball through their defender to get it to him.

But we are going in circles. Like I said in my original post, your mileage may vary. And it obviously does. I think you are wrong to put the whole blame on Gillon and you think I am wrong to say it isn't always on the guards, but Lydon's own unselfishness is sometimes the problem.

Peace,
Neil

The Duke game. Most of it.

Yeah if Lydon wants to post up a lot we should use it. He can draw fouls and he is a great FT shooter.

Post scoring is essential in college hoops it just doesn't seem to be a priority for JB. I wish instead of
Ball screening the bigs would post up and give an angle for the pass.
Jb believes that post scoring is the easiest thing to take away from an opposing team's offense. It seems that low post scoring is down in both the pro and the college game. I'm not sure that I agree with JB. On the other hand, finding a guy that can one, catch a pass thrown to him and make moves once he has the ball, seems to be a difficult find for teams, not just us.

You mean like in the Duke game where he spent half the game with Grayson Allen guarding him and couldn't get a pass? Yeah, that's on Tyler!

TL has shown flashes of brilliance in the low post, but he seems to forget from one game - or even one play - to the next. Simply inconsistent, due (I think) to immaturity.

Guards always want to jack up shots and not feed the post. It starts with a coach who lays down the law. And then you have to have a talented big who demands the ball and finishes... not misses.
If Lydon returns, is he the starting center next year with TT on the wing? Is it Sidibe? TT looks more like a 4, and has the game to be a stretch 4, than a 5.

Maybe someone's said this in the ensuing three pages that I haven't read, but to the question in the headline:

Yes, we'll probably have a big who can post.
No, we probably won't have a combination of guards who identify him and a coach who wants him to touch the ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom