Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

Tyler Lydon Helps USA Under-18 Team Win Gold, Finishes as Top Rebounder on Team (PS; Carlson)

Tyler Lydon had his worst shooting game, but finished with nine rebounds, as the United States national team secured a gold medal at the FIBA Americas under-18 championship.

Lydon's effort on the boards during a 113-79 win over Canada made him the United States' leading rebounder over the five-game tournament. He finished with a team-leading 32 rebounds despite playing fewer minutes than nearly all of his U.S. teammates.

Lydon scored three points, hitting one of his two 3-point attempts, but missed his other three shots from the field. He also turned the ball over twice and had one steal.

Lydon shot 6-for-10 on 3-pointers over the course of the tournament, showcasing rare touch for a 6-foot-9 forward. The Pine Plains native is one of four verbal commitments that currently give Syracuse the top-ranked 2015 recruiting class in the country.

Is Jerami Grant Falling on NBA Draft Boards or Will He Still be a First Round Pick? (PS; Waters)

When the NBA holds its draft on Thursday night, will Syracuse's Jerami Grant hear his name called in the first round, as many predicted as far back as January and as recently as a month ago?

Or is Grant, who left Syracuse after just two years, in danger of falling all the way out of the first round as he is now slotted in several mock drafts?

In January, the website NBADraft.net had Grant as the No. 10 pick in its NBA mock draft. Just this week, NBADraft.net's latest mock draft had Grant at No. 28.

At least Grant was still in the first round, which would offer him a contract with the first three years guaranteed. The forecasts for Grant are even more grim on other websites.

CJ Fair Hopes Arduous Workout Schedule Has Moved Him Up the NBA Draft Board (PS; Waters)

In the weeks leading up to this Thursday's NBA draft, C.J. Fair tried to do two things.

First, the former Syracuse University standout wanted to schedule as many workouts with NBA teams as possible. He accomplished that mission, squeezing in workouts with 15 teams, including three in a row this week and 10 in the 17 days immediately prior to the draft.

Second, Fair wanted to work out against the best players in this year's draft. He wanted to go head-to-head with the players rated higher than him.

"I told my agent that I want to go up against first-rounders to show teams that I'm just as good or better,'' Fair said in a telephone interview between workouts with the Los Angeles Clippers and Dallas Mavericks last week. "It brings the best out of me when I go up against the top competition.''

Fair takes the court in his pre-draft workouts with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He led Syracuse in scoring in each of the last seasons and helped the Orange win 119 games in his four-year career, including a trip to the 2013 Final Four.

CJ Fair Has Put In the Work to Hear His Name Called at NBA Draft (baltimoresun.com; Hass)

• Congrats to Trevor Hass, recent Newhouse grad and Daily Orange writer, on landing his dream job at the Sun
  • Board fav Torrel Harris, father of Tobias, is now CJ's agent

Like many 12 year olds, C.J. Fair dabbled in many different sports. He played some baseball, a little football and anything his friends were into at the time.

Then he started "growing like a weed," as his father Carl put it, and Carl asked him to pick one sport. C.J. chose basketball, and he and his friends — Antonio and Will Barton, Josh Selby and Nick Faust — began dominating anyone who stood in their way. They formed a super team, as the lanky lefty C.J. continued to sharpen his game at the John Eager Howard Community Center and around Baltimore playgrounds.

"That's when I knew he had it in him," Carl Fair said. "And I knew that's what he wanted to do. That's when he started really focusing solely on basketball."
insider_bilas_d1_576.jpg

Jay Bilas Breaks Down the Syracuse Players in the 2014 NBA Draft (PS; Axe)

What does ESPN college basketball and NBA Draft analyst Jay Bilas think of the former Syracuse University basketball players available in the 2014 NBA Draft?

Bilas will be on the main set along with ESPN's Rece Davis, Bill Simmons and Jalen Rose during coverage of the draft starting Thursday at 7:00 p.m. on ESPN.

Syracuse.com joined a teleconference on the NBA Draft on Wednesday with Bilas.

His thoughts on the available Syracuse players are below.

On Tyler Ennis' NBA chances:

"I think Ennis is the pick of the (Syracuse) crew. I think he's a lottery selection. I've heard folks talk about maybe not the best athlete, but he's as athletic as he needs to be due to the situation. He's unflappable. The kid never changes expression. Makes big plays. Totally unafraid.

"He played in top of that zone that Jim Boeheim runs, so there are always some issues and question marks about how a guy is going to defend man-to-man. Good with the ball, very good passer. He's crafty with changing speeds. He's able to get around people and by people. Not necessarily with an explosive first step but by changing speeds. I really like him. He's a top 20 pick for sure."

Everything You Wanted to Know About Syracuse and the NBA Draft* (PS; Waters)

Have a question about Syracuse University and the NBA draft? Our new database allows readers to look up information regarding SU players and the NBA draft by pick, year, round or team.

Want to know how many first-round picks have come out of Syracuse? The database can help you with the answer.

Can't remember what team picked Jim Lee in the 1975 NBA draft? The answer can be found here.

Or was fan-favorite Marty Headd drafted and, if so, what round did he go in? OK, we'll give the answers. Yes. Cleveland took him in the 9th round of the 1981 draft.

*=but were afraid to ask

Oh Canada! Tyler Ennis Could be One of Eight Canadians Picked in NBA Draft (PS; AP)

Roy Rana remembers the signs suggesting that Canadian basketball might be ready to explode.

He coached the Canada squad that finished third at the 17-and-under world championships in 2010. His No. 2 scorer, Anthony Bennett, was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft. The youngest player on that team, Andrew Wiggins, might be the No. 1 pick in Thursday's draft. Nik Stauskas, who played for the squad during qualifying in 2009, is a likely lottery pick.

"At the time, none of us realized the long-term potential of this group," Rana said.

Folks are getting it now.

Eight Canadians could be drafted Thursday, a stunning development for a hockey-crazed country that had only eight players selected after Steve Nash was taken in the first round in 1996.

CzarNicholasII.jpg

JB Anointed Czar of College Basketball. What Changes Would He Make? (PS; Ditota)

Tomorrow, members of the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel meet via teleconference to vote on potential rule changes for the 2014-15 college basketball season.

We've talked on these pages about potential amendments to the block/charge call, discussed whether the game needs more policing in the paint and wondered about the possibility of shortening the shot clockfrom its current incarnation of 35 seconds.

Today, we're opening the floor to five upstate New York Division I college basketball coaches. We've anointed them kings of the NCAA basketball rules committee. In that capacity, we asked which rules they'd like to see changed or better enforced.

Here's what the coaches said:

Jim Boeheim, Syracuse: "I think our game is in pretty good shape right now. I think they have pretty good rules. I think we just have to call the fouls and get the game to be a little less physical. I think that will be good for offense. And I think that will be good for our game."

Recruiting
-a22f8491dc90b50b.JPG

Franklin Howard and Moustapha Diagne

Class of 2014 and 2015 Stories and Videos (PS; Ditota)

Former Players

-934068e9b67da0d3.jpg

Can James Southerland's Shooting Stroke Earn Him an NBA Job? (PS; Ditota)

James Southerland's basketball reputation evolved from his feathery shooting stroke and a renowned athleticism his Syracuse teammates cited with observations that bordered on envy.

But when Southerland earned an invitation to the Charlotte Bobcats training camp, when he worked out daily with NBA-quality basketball players, he learned a stark fact about his quickness and leaping ability: Nearly everybody at the elite levels of the game possessed those same qualities.

"It gets to the point where everyone is a great athlete," Southerland said. "That's where the mental part of the game comes out. Where your physical abilities are matched and you've got to go out there and play with your head, play smart."

Southerland spoke on Sunday afternoon at the Chelsea Piers Fieldhouse, where he was playing in charity basketball pick-up games designed to raise money for the SEED project, of which former teammate Baye Moussa Keita is a product.

Other

dome-game-renderingjpg-ec54d1fb58d9ee12.jpg

Tickets for Syracuse Crunch Hockey Game at Carrier Dome on Sale to General Public (PS; Kramer)

General public tickets for the Syracuse Crunch's game against the Utica Comets on Nov. 22 in the Carrier Dome go on sale at 10 a.m. today.

Tickets for the Frozen Dome Classic cost $20, $30 and $50 and can be purchased by calling the Crunch box office at 315-473-4444. They can also be purchased through the Carrier Dome box office and via Ticketmaster.

Tickets have been on sale to Crunch and Syracuse University football and basketball season ticket holders for almost two weeks. Crunch owner Howard Dolgon said between 8,000-10,000 tickets have been sold.

Syracuse Native David Muir Replaces Diane Sawyer as Anchor of ABC Evening News (aubrunpub.com; AP)

With Brian Williams (an Elmira native) at NBC, upstate NY dominates the airwaves...

ABC says Diane Sawyer is stepping down as its evening news anchor, to be replaced by Syracuse native David Muir.

The network said Sawyer will concentrate on interviews and specials. During her tenure, ABC's "World News" was a steady second to Brian Williams at NBC, although the ABC broadcast has made gains among younger viewers.

Muir is familiar to "World News" viewers as a substitute for Sawyer and has traveled around the country for his "Made in America" series.

ABC said George Stephanopoulos will take on a new role as chief anchor for live news events.

Last edited:
It's so easy to root for these guys to make it in the NBA and I think Fair and Grant will be a nice pickup for whoever gets them. One thing Boeheim has done for these guys is get them used to coming off the bench cold and that should be an asset for both players. I'd love to see James get a 2 or 3 year deal somewhere and get him into a comfort zone and confident.