Week 1 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1989-90 | Syracusefan.com

Week 1 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1989-90

Eric15

Living Legend
People seemed to like this idea on the football board as a fun topic to talk about during the off-season. If you have any great memories, interesting road trips, drunken anecdotes, favorite players, etc. from this season specifically, let's hear about it.

I was 8 years old in 1990, and this was the year that I started to genuinely care about the team, understand the rules, know the names of the players, etc. I'm not exaggerating when I say as a little kid I watched a VHS recording of the Georgetown JT ejection game no less than 50 times after it was played, to the point where I could virtually choreograph every play of the game in my head.

What are your unique memories from this season?

Great talent. No PG. Precious little outside shooting. Team could get out on the break, however.
6 NBA players on the roster, 4 first-round picks, one future college head coach.

Game of CBB was different then, talent did not always overwhelm teams, as players stayed 3-4 years and systems could prevail.

Held off Duke in Greensboro to win in the BE/ACC Challenge. Won a lot of BE games. Should have won more by a larger margin.

If we were a pro team, we'd have traded Manning, Scott or Conrad for guards. Michael Edwards was not the answer, and for that matter, neither was Stevie.

[Average]Ahh, yes the very first season of college basketball. I remember it fondly[Boneyard Poster]

I still have a link to Sherman's football hike to Stevie against Indiana and view it again from time to time.

Wrong season (how dare you!).
That was 1988-89.
Great play, however, that perfectly illustrated that era of Syracuse Basketball.

My first ever time at the Carrier Dome was on 11/29 - I was a freshman at Cornell and convinced a friend to drive up 81 to see the game. I think my HS team might have kept it closer that night...

Great team, but I remember being dumbfounded by our first loss (the 20 point drubbing Nova gave us at home). Especially after we beat a good Duke team in Greensboro during the ACC/Big East challenge.

I just looked up the stats from the season ending loss to Minnesota in the tourney... Tony Scott’s 3-for-16 performance was... not good. Anybody remember what happened to him/where he went after that year?

This was four years before I decided to go to SU.. and growing up in Philly, going to Rollie Mass camp, etc etc... I remember this year for cheering on Villanova to two big upsets and crowing to my one Syracuse friend about it. #regrets

I was 13 years old that year. Was the third year of season tickets for my family and grandmother. Went to Grimaldi’s before the 1/6 game vs Villanova. We were #1 in the country and I remember Greg Woodard making about 30 free throws to end the game. I was so pissed. Still a game to this date I just hated.

Don’t even get me started on the ND home
Game that year. Had to go to Grimaldi’s after that game. Stupid Elmer Bennett and Digger Phelps

And then to end the year we have to play Minnesota with Willie Burton in Minnesota?? In the Sweet Sixteen? We were the high seed for sure

The Jab 27th thrashing of the Hoyas on the road, pure beat down
Watched that game at a bar in Ft Lauderdale. Beer tasted good that day. Owens was a man that day.

My first ever time at the Carrier Dome was on 11/29 - I was a freshman at Cornell and convinced a friend to drive up 81 to see the game. I think my HS team might have kept it closer that night...

Great team, but I remember being dumbfounded by our first loss (the 20 point drubbing Nova gave us at home). Especially after we beat a good Duke team in Greensboro during the ACC/Big East challenge.

I just looked up the stats from the season ending loss to Minnesota in the tourney... Tony Scott’s 3-for-16 performance was... not good. Anybody remember what happened to him/where he went after that year?
Transferred to Texas A&M, lasted 1 semester and his recruitment there brought them down, cost their coach Kermit Davis his job and about 20 years to make it back to D-I. Never played college ball again. Said years later he greatly regretted leaving.

Great talent. No PG. Precious little outside shooting. Team could get out on the break, however.
6 NBA players on the roster, 4 first-round picks, one future college head coach.

Game of CBB was different then, talent did not always overwhelm teams, as players stayed 3-4 years and systems could prevail.

Held off Duke in Greensboro to win in the BE/ACC Challenge. Won a lot of BE games. Should have won more by a larger margin.

If we were a pro team, we'd have traded Manning, Scott or Conrad for guards. Michael Edwards was not the answer, and for that matter, neither was Stevie.
Crazy how the guard situation worked out in a bad way. Earl Duncan left in 88 in part because Matt Roe developed and took a lot of his minutes. Then Matt Roe leaves for several reasons in 89, but one of which was he was losing playing time to Dave Johnson who was a better defender, even though he really wasn't a 2-guard. Then due to no PG, DJ who was a starter until Mid-January but the team had no ball-movement, loses minutes for Edwards. And in the end, they were left with no guards, where Duncan or Roe would have made a big difference on that team, even if was only 15-20 minutes. Ugh...considering the rest of the talent on that team.

And then to end the year we have to play Minnesota with Willie Burton in Minnesota?? In the Sweet Sixteen? We were the high seed for sure

I think Minnesota was a little worse - in New Orleans on the floor where they played 4 years earlier. Bad bookend for those seniors.

Virginia game sticks out to me. I was almost 12 years old and was with the whole extended family watching that game. That was a blast.

Virginia game sticks out to me. I was almost 12 years old and was with the whole extended family watching that game. That was a blast.
Yep, we were the #2 seed, UVa was #7, yet we had to play them in Richmond in what was essentially a road game (60-70 miles from C-Ville to Richmond). Then Bryan Stith goes off for 30 and we barely hold on. Team was out of sorts. Never to really recover.

SU was screwed once Cremmins dropped the bag for Kenny Anderson

gophers :mad:

Yeah, they had a couple big guards / swingmen who just shot lights out over the zone. That could have been a great team with Kenny Anderson. The season before was better, but Illinois.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom