Week 2 of season reminiscing -- 1998 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Week 2 of season reminiscing -- 1998

That Rutgers game was the most points they had given up since 1890. The game was over in the first 3 minutes.

Rutgers, always doing Rutgers things. It is good they brought their traditions with them to the B1G.
I’m pretty sure we ran the Statue of Liberty to perfection with 45 on the board already. Lol.

Curious: how were the Tennessee fans who attended our game? More fun/jovial or more obnoxious?

I thought more fun/jovial. The ones I talked to were very respectful. Couple older ladies, who said they had visited every SEC stadium, told me it was the loudest stadium they've ever been to and they thought their ears were going to blow up.

They came out in full force though. If I recall they requested 15,000 tickets, best we could give them was something like 6,500.

The most that place has rocked for a noon game.

My third season of being a post-graduation alumni season ticket holder. Made the 5 hour drive from CT for 5 of the 6 homes games (I think I only missed Pitt on Halloween).

This was the year that DeLeone came back from his one year NFL stint to be our DC, right? Sigh.

I remember how even though we had lost the opener, after the Michigan win we were still considered to be in the national title hunt. That NC State loss was so disheartening, and IIRC McNabb was playing through the effects of a good time the night before.

Still, the VaTech comeback was an all-timer. I rushed the field like thousands of others, but for some reason an overzealous security guard decided to tackle me, wrenched my knee, which hurt for a week afterwards. Jerk.

The Miami blowout was glorious. Almost surreal.

Sadly, laying an egg in the Orange Bowl, after losing in the Fiesta the prior year, and carrying 3 losses into each game, hurt the Big East's perception for a while. Which was a shame because it was a damn good football conference in the late 90s/early 00s. I'll be honest, I miss it.

The NCSt game at home the year before.

The Thursday night game down there was supposed to be the McNabb showcase. The first series they couldn't stop Konrad went down to score a TD. Then they went pass happy and Donavan threw 3 ints and Tory Holt destroyed a very depleted secondary.

THAT's where McNabb lost any Heisman chances.

I thought more fun/jovial. The ones I talked to were very respectful. Couple older ladies, who said they had visited every SEC stadium, told me it was the loudest stadium they've ever been to and they thought their ears were going to blow up.

They came out in full force though. If I recall they requested 15,000 tickets, best we could give them was something like 6,500.

Al Gore had barely created the Internet, yet word of mouth spread all week of the caravan on Tennessee fans coming North with their car flags raised high,

Game drives me more nuts than the 87 Sugar.

Al Gore had barely created the Internet, yet word of mouth spread all week of the caravan on Tennessee fans coming North with their car flags raised high,

Game drives me more nuts than the 87 Sugar.

It's one road from here to there.

12 hours on I-81 with 15,000 tractor trailers trying to pass each other at the same speed and 500 dead deer on the shoulder. Honestly, I'm surprised they weren't more jerky.

Went the Michigan game that year with my brother. One of the best performances by McNabb I can recall. The lost shoe scramble for a td, a pass back to Conrad for a td. I seem to remember them running the throw back 2 or 3 times that game, and it worked every time. Michigan had no answer all day. Got to tailgate with Charles Woodson's Dad that day. Nice guy, but I don't think he was all that crazy about chatting with a Syracuse fan. I was decked out, head to toe. Anyone remember the policeman working the crosswalk in front of the stadium? He was mic'd up and was making fun of the Syracuse fans going to the game. After the game, he was much nicer to us as we walked back to our cars.

Ya, the whole west endzone was creamsicle orange. Folks we talked to were pretty nice, not at all arrogant (kind of expecting a down year after Manning graduated), and really stunned/relieved to get out of there with a win.