Week 4 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1990 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Week 4 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1990

I personally much prefer any form of overtime over a tie. I just hate the feeling of attending a 3.5 hour sporting event and leaving without a sense of closure.

Like with the 1990 season for example, I would have much rather lost one of those ties and won one of those ties, and finished the season 8-5 than a weird 7-4-2.

The college OT format I agree is too drawn out. I personally think the new NFL format is perfect.

I hear ya, ties are lame. I just despise the college OT system

I personally much prefer any form of overtime over a tie. I just hate the feeling of attending a 3.5 hour sporting event and leaving without a sense of closure.

Like with the 1990 season for example, I would have much rather lost one of those ties and won one of those ties, and finished the season 8-5 than a weird 7-4-2.

The college OT format I agree is too drawn out. I personally think the new NFL format is perfect.
Agree.

Any attempt to not end in a tie is better than just to end in a tie.

There has been so many changes to the end of games over the years it’s been great.

Spiking the ball is my favorite.

They would actually have to run a play out of bounds or throw it and quickly step out or drop it intentionally or have the QB just gun it over the head of the WR, so annoying.

I remember Phil Simms firing the ball as hard as could at Buddy Ryan close enough to Bobby Johnson as the intended target...Chaos ensued, thank God for Bavaro breaking the fight up and not participating.

Also remember Simms getting a flag for intentional grounding the next time.

Just some 80’s era gamesmanship...

Screw ties.

Ah, 1990... That was the year I was in Spain...Pamplona to be precise. The festival of San Fermines... the running of the bulls. It was a clear, hot day, and I leapt like a gazelle over the wooden fence lining the street. Then, in the distance, I heard the bulls. I began running as fast as I could. Fortunately, I was wearing my Italian cap toe oxfords. Sophisticated yet different; nothing to make a huge fuss about. Rich dark brown calfskin leather. Matching leather vent. Men’s whole and half size 7 through 13. Price: $135.00.

Ah, 1990... That was the year I was in Spain...Pamplona to be precise. The festival of San Fermines... the running of the bulls. It was a clear, hot day, and I leapt like a gazelle over the wooden fence lining the street. Then, in the distance, I heard the bulls. I began running as fast as I could. Fortunately, I was wearing my Italian cap toe oxfords. Sophisticated yet different; nothing to make a huge fuss about. Rich dark brown calfskin leather. Matching leather vent. Men’s whole and half size 7 through 13. Price: $135.00.
The Cali post of the day. (Week? Month?)

Don’t leave me hanging, I need chapter 2, ASAP...

I'd just like a small tweak to OT, and I really think it would work. Don't start in FG range, start at the 40 or 50, keep the field a little more open.

In reality though, I think there was only one marathon last year right? And since Orgeron had to coach it all just after his gatorade bath, it kinda worked.

As for 1990, even though I was a local, it was a year before I started at SU, so I don't have a lot of memories. Didn't attend a game. I do remember visiting my grandparents in Tampa, and leaving the Christmas dinner we went to so I could watch the game on some 13 inch sh! tbox TV that probably didn't even have color. Doesn't matter when you dominate the game.

Senior year. Those two back to back home ties were deflating, especially after starting 0-1. It was quite the letdown after a three-year run that ended in The Sugar, HOF and Peach Bowl successes, all against top level SEC competition. (I still consider the Sugar a bittersweet success. Auburn didn’t beat us. Didn’t even try to beat us. But I digress.)

1-1-2, to start. It was like we failed to get out of the starting gate in a horse race.

Was away for the Tulane game and to this day, can’t believe we lost. Don’t remember much about the rest of the year, and it must be because, as someone else said, there were only two home games after 22 September.

Back in those days, a 6-4-2 regular season record usually had you left at home for the holidays. But we got a ticket to Hawaii. My guess is probably based on the reputation of the book of work over the three prior years.

Then, Christmas Day. The dismantling of Arizona in Hawaii. I felt like we were back to where we “belonged.” Winning big bowl games against stout non-conference opponents.

But that feeling was short-lived. We were barely back on campus and Mac was gone.

Overall, it was very much a transition year. Graves would mature. P was named head coach. And Steve Spurrier was making travel plans to head north. Did I mention Kirby Dar Dar was waiting in the wings?

Turned out we were all right after all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom