Week 7: ACC Action | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Week 7: ACC Action

who?

Tebucky Jones, Jr. for one.

When a northeast football program begins offering 95 major division scholarships in a state where we used to dominate - nearly our entire staff was from Connecticut - and where we were able to secure players like Tebucky Sr., Dwight Freeney, the McIntosh brothers, and others, it necessarily impacts our recruiting.

Who didn't we get that we would not have gotten anyway?

When a northeast football program begins offering 95 major division scholarships in a state where we used to dominate - nearly our entire staff was from Connecticut - and where we were able to secure players like Tebucky Sr., Dwight Freeney, the McIntosh brothers, and others, it necessarily impacts our recruiting.

I think it's fair to say it impacted our depth at the very least.

I'm aware of players that have played here from CT. I was asking about impact recruits who we missed out on that went to UCONN when we were down and they joined the Big East. I can't think of one.

I think our downturn and the rise of Schiano hurt us in NJ. Obviously, we lose NE recruits to BC and Pitt all the time. I'm just not sure UCONN's rise hurt us as it was short-lived enough and now isn't a thing at all.

Tebucky Jones, Jr flamed out at UConn and transferred to freaking Fordham. UConn has never hurt us for a recruit, ever. We've never lost an A or B list kid in all of New England to UConn.

There were 2 schools that took advantage of our fall, killed us on the recruiting trail and drove the stake into us. Rutgers with Schiano (2001-2011) and Wanny at Pittsburgh (2005-2010). Schiano beat up Pasqualoni the last year or two and when the P regime was gone I don't think we ever won a head to head battle against Schiano again (at least in NJ). Maybe a kid or two with Marrone but I'd have to go back and look. Chibane was a USF commit when we flipped him.

Wanny had a recruiting juggernaut at Pitt, with Cavanguah, Walker, Angelichio and Hafley. We couldn't get any kid out of PA we wanted and they killed us in Western NY to. Wanny started killing Schiano in NJ so Schiano went and hired Hafley and Angelichio away from Pitt.

Last edited:
Tebucky Jones, Jr flamed out at UConn and transferred to freaking Fordham. UConn has never hurt us for a recruit, ever. We've never lost an A or B list kid in all of New England to UConn.

There were 2 schools that took advantage of our fall, killed us on the recruiting trail and drove the stake into us. Rutgers with Schiano (2001-2011) and Wanny at Pittsburgh (2005-2010). Schiano beat up Pasqualoni the last year or two and when the P regime was gone I don't think we ever won a head to head battle against Schiano again (at least in NJ). Maybe a kid or two with Marrone but I'd have to go back and look. Chibane was a USF commit when we flipped him.

Wanny had a recruiting juggernaut at Pitt, with Cavanguah, Walker, Angelichio and Hafley. We couldn't get any kid out of PA we wanted and they killed us in Western NY to. Wanny started killing Schiano in NJ so Schiano went and hired Hafley and Angelichio away from Pitt.

And Cecil Howard flamed out at Syracuse University after being a highly recruited high school QB. I'm not all that impressed by the "flaming out" analysis.

It defies logic that adding a major northeastern football program to the mix - with 95 scholarships to offer local athletes - did not impact our recruiting.

The more competition for players the more difficult it becomes getting those players.

The notion that we did not offer some of the athletes who committed to UConn after it moved up to the Division 1 level is simply not believable in my opinion.

Sorry.

Yes, Dave Wannstedt recruited very well at Pitt. I am pretty sure that he started there at the same time that Robinson started at Syracuse. And, I think Pitt had just come off a Fiesta Bowl appearance?

So, it is not surprising to me that a western PA guy with strong Pitt connections and with new practice facilities, was able to more effectively recruit than a California guy with a no real connection to northeast college recruiting.

What ultimately hurt SU Football recruiting was the lack of funding for the program.

I have no doubt that Rutgers - finally - took advantage of that and I have no doubt that UConn, with pretty good funding - did the same thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom