Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - Weekend Articles for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday Weekend Articles for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
2134353803-1.jpg

Welcome to National Christmas Lights Day!

Christmas lights—lights that are hung up on Christmas trees inside, and outside on buildings, trees, and other things—are celebrated today. They were invented in the early 1880s by Edward H. Johnson, an associate of Thomas Edison. On December 22, 1882, he lit his Christmas tree with 80 incandescent light bulbs, at his home in New York City. Prior to this time, candles were the only way to illuminate trees, and it still took many years before electric lights became the main way trees were lit, and before outside Christmas lights became popular. Lights originally were put on trees by Christians, and they symbolized Christ as being the light of the world.

SU News

dino-miamijpg-aa1ba90aa053173a.jpg

Syracuse football 2018 schedule: How did opponents do in 2017? (PS; Axe)

The wait is on for Syracuse University football fans that want to see their team play in a bowl game again.

The Orange football program has gone 14-33 under Scott Shafer and Dino Babers since a win in the Texas Bowl in 2013.

Does the 2018 Syracuse football schedule provide a path that gives the Orange an opportunity to win six games and qualify for a bowl game?

The official 2018 football schedule will be announced in January or February of 2018.

Here's a look at who is on the 2018 Syracuse football schedule and how those opponents fared in the 2017 season.

920x920.jpg

West Haven’s Ervin Philips leaves a lasting mark at Syracuse (nhregister.com; Nash)

Ervin Philips walked into the still empty Carrier Dome, a pair of Beats headphones on his head, and the strut of a senior who seemed to own the place running through his feet.

Four years earlier, Philips arrived on the hilltop campus from West Haven as a highly touted running back with untapped potential and a future ready to be written.

Now, here he was, getting ready to play his final game as an Orange football player, with record-setting numbers on his resume as a wide receiver.

To say Philips left his mark on Syracuse football is an understatement.

After getting switched from running back to wide receiver following his sophomore season, Philips wound up setting a Syracuse record for career receptions with 223.

It’s a number that even surprises him, but Philips said in his final press conference that he came to Syracuse to make a difference.

“I didn’t think I’d be playing receiver, not after coming in as a running back,” Phillips admitted. “I just came here to put the work in and just be the best player I could be. Things changed for me, but I just stuck with it and tried to be the best I could be.”

The ACC Championship Game: A Battle of Wills, SWAG vs BYOG (stateoftheu.com; Dad)

In October of 2015, the #12 Clemson Tigers took on the #6 Notre Dame Fighting Irish in a prime-time match up. The Tigers had a 21 - 3 lead going into the fourth quarter, but the Irish stormed back scoring 19 points. In the pouring rain, it came down to one final play. A two-point conversion attempt with 7 seconds remaining. Notre Dame’s QB, DeShone Kizer, attempted a QB run that was stopped just shy of the goal line. The Tigers won the game 24-22. During the emotional post-game interview, which has become a trademark of Clemson’s Head Coach Dabo Swinney following big wins, he told his players:

“We give you scholarships, we give you stipends, meals and a place to live. We give you nice uniforms [but] I can't give you guts and I can’t give you heart and tonight, it was BYOG, Bring Your Own Guts. And they brought some guts and some heart and they never quit until the last play."

Raleigh’s Braxton Berrios wins ACC football’s top student-athlete award (newsobserver.com; Blake)

Former Leesville Road High School star Braxton Berrios won the top ACC football student-athlete award, the league announced on Thursday.

Berrios, a senior wideout at Miami, won the Jim Tatum Award, named after the former two-time ACC Coach of the Year. He will be honored during ACC Football Championship weekend. His Hurricanes won the Coastal Division and will play Clemson.

Berrios is on pace to graduate in December as a double major in finance and entrepreneurship with a “near-perfect” GPA. He also visits the Holtz Children’s Hospital and has participated in the team’s annual bone marrow drive. He leads his team in receptions (45) and receiving yards (583) and touchdowns (nine).

florida-st-florida-football-0392a332a05bed17.jpg

Florida State fan kicked out of Jimbo Fisher's radio show (video) (PS; Axe)

One Florida State football fan took matters into his own hands to see if Seminoles head coach Jimbo Fisher is committed to staying in Tallahassee.

It didn't go well.

The fan was kicked out of Fisher's radio show audience on Wednesday night after questioning the coach's loyalty to the Seminoles.

Fisher has declined to comment on rumors he has been offered the vacant Texas A&M job this week.

The fan began his question by sharing his excitement for having Fisher join FSU first as an offensive coordinator in 2007 before he became head coach in 2010.

Other

Acrobatics highlight Wizard of Oz at Syracuse Stage (video) (PS; Trimble)

Flying monkeys are the best, and you can see them in a whole new way starting November 29 at the Syracuse Stage production of the Wizard of Oz. The production takes the much beloved Chittenango-born L. Frank Baum novel, a stylistic influence from the 1939 MGM movie, and finally, a Cirque du Solei-like acrobatic touch to present a different, er, spin on the story.

Syracuse Stage coordinated with The Department of Drama and New York City-based 2 Ring Circus to deliver a story both familiar to longtime movie fans and energetically charged for new eyes to marvel at.

"This is the Wizard of Oz we all knew and grew up with," said Bob Hupp, Artistic Director for the Syracuse Stage, "but there is something different about this particular production that makes it particularly special."

Where: Syracuse Stage, 820 E. Genesee St., Syracuse.

When: Nov. 29 to Jan. 7. For the full show schedule, visit syracusestage.org.

How much: Tickets start at $20.

This is probably why they made the interim coach the head coach. Not sure many coach's would want to deal with this except say Schiano :)