Welcome to Rutgers Coach Flood | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to Rutgers Coach Flood

Jersey Orange

Legend
Soon to be known as the "Frank Spaziani" of Rutgers football.

Some will spin this hire because HS coaches supported Kyle Flood (remember, Rutgers fans thought these same coaches were idiots for supporting George DeLeone when Schiano was hired) - some will blast Tim Pernetti - but the fact of the matter is that Flood is pretty much the best they were going to get with the budget allocated to finding a new coach.

Soon to be known as the "Frank Spaziani" of Rutgers football.

Some will spin this hire because HS coaches supported Kyle Flood (remember, Rutgers fans thought these same coaches were idiots for supporting George DeLeone when Schiano was hired) - some will blast Tim Pernetti - but the fact of the matter is that Flood is pretty much the best they were going to get with the budget allocated to finding a new coach.

JO what are your thoughts on him as the Rutgers Coach? How do you think he will do?

Spaziani was at least an important part of the BC staff. This RU hire makes zero sense. They hired a bad OL coach who had his OC duties stripped from him because he was awful at it. He also has shown zero ability to identify OL talent. Schiano was involved with special teams. He was involved with the D. He was the ultimate salesman to recruits. And they are replacing those three things how? They only have one spot on their current staff. And you have to think it will be an OL coach as Flood cannot handle that full time and his HC duties. While that might improve things with the OL, that still leaves a huge hole on D, on STs, and recruiting.

RU had a chance to step forward with a real hire. They made a worse hire than TB did, and now could be in trouble as a program.

Hey JO glad to see you posting again. Whats your thoughts on him and RU moving forward. Seems some recruits like the hire and are re-confirming there commitments though I dont see them getting that 5 star who announces tomorrow.

More like Bill Stewart. I remember when WVU hired Stewart and a booster said "He is so overmatched it's not even funny," "He's a nice guy and a father figure. But they had a wonderful architecht and they hired the painter to build the next house. I want Bill Stewart to win and I want our program to be successful. But I feel bad for our future. I'm very concerned." That fits Flood to a tee.

In the near term, they will be able to hold together this years recruiting class, probably completely in tact. Long term, this will prove to be a disastrous hire. They really had a chance to take a step forward if they got the right guy (read: Cristobal). Rutgers has had a rough few months being left out after the conference shake-up and now having a demoted OC as their new head coach. Major swing and a miss by Pernetti.

Rushing into a bad, desperate hire opens you up to many things. Rutgers is going to get a sheet-ton of negative recruiting come back down on them to make up for the Schiano decade.

"Unimpressive hire, no way that guy survives to an extension or renewal. You'll be looking at a new coach before you graduate."

"Check this report, Schiano left because Rutgers isn't going anywhere, they're stuck in the SunBeast. Do you want to play in Conference USA V2.0?"

"AD blew its wad and there is nothing left in the tank, and the natives are becoming restless."

"Have you ever seen this letter signed by a thousand professors at RU advocating they drop football?"

"Rutgers is the deathplace of college football, didn't you know that?"

Any idea what his contract looks like? Nice to know Schiano was raping the state.

Any idea what his contract looks like? Nice to know Schiano was raping the state.

Not sure what the final number was but the Board of Trustees wanted the new coach to make below $1,000,000.

Guy has his work cut out for him. Doesnt have the personality or Charisma most would call it bull of Shitano but still i agree with Jersey he was the best they could do given timing and budget

They were in a very difficult spot as it is very hard to hire a guy this late. Which is why they should have made Flood interim HC for 2012 and conducted a full search which would have led to much better candidates. In fact they would be the first program in line to hire instead of being last this year. tOSU was able to go a whole year with an interim guy, why couldn't RU? Yes RU is not tOSU, but the BE is also not the B1G. Taking a one year hit woulda have been well worth it long term. Now they are going to take at least a 3 year hit.

They were in a very difficult spot as it is very hard to hire a guy this late. Which is why they should have made Flood interim HC for 2012 and conducted a full search which would have led to much better candidates. In fact they would be the first program in line to hire instead of being last this year. tOSU was able to go a whole year with an interim guy, why couldn't RU? Yes RU is not tOSU, but the BE is also not the B1G. Taking a one year hit woulda have been well worth it long term. Now they are going to take at least a 3 year hit.

Think you hit the nail on the head here, KO. Rutgers panicked worrying about this class and recruiting and didn't look at the bigger picture. The interim situation for the whole season would have salvaged this recruiting class, given him a trial year as coach/CEO and allowed them to view the market for next year.

Think you hit the nail on the head here, KO. Rutgers panicked worrying about this class and recruiting and didn't look at the bigger picture. The interim situation for the whole season would have salvaged this recruiting class, given him a trial year as coach/CEO and allowed them to view the market for next year.
if the budget was < $1M like JO said, then there isn't much of a market to survey. Best you can do is a small school up and coming coach and if he's a good one he's not sticking around very long at that rate.

That's what I suggested in this post last week.

tOSU had the benefit that their change occurred after LOI day. RU would've taken a bit of a hit in this recruiting class, and possibly a larger one in the next (unless the season goes great, the assistants might've been looking out for themselves more than RU). In the end, however, this would've led to the proper process and best possible hire.

It's easy to get sucked in to the short sighted view, especially with the state of the NBE-WVU vs. the NNBE.

In the end, the timing of Shady's move may turn out to be one that sets RU's program back 5+ years.

Poor RutgersAl.

I agree that Rutgers panicked and kissed a little new jersey hs coach butt with this move. Shady will probably release the hilocopter bill to the proper authorities once he settles in Tampa.

I wonder how long his contract for, and if there's any escape clause for RU to get out if he's not good

Wow did they go cheap. They are paying him $700k a year. That is midmajor according to this
He will be the lowest paid BCS coach if that info is correct.

I wonder if they asked snookie for that 32K back to make an even 700K?