Well, 54, 42 and 68 isn't too bad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Well, 54, 42 and 68 isn't too bad

I mean that always sounds good but who is willing to take that role on?
a player like jimmy boeheim who has played for a mid major or off the radar school for 3/4 years and simply wants a chance to win while also realizing that no matter what they likely arent ever playing in the NBA.

a player like jimmy boeheim who has played for a mid major or off the radar school for 3/4 years and simply wants a chance to win while also realizing that no matter what they likely arent ever playing in the NBA.

That is a major stretch. Jimmy came in as the third forward not 4th. The chance to " win" is a way overplayed theme. You have the academics factor plus the what is in it for me plus you want the player to be more "dynamic". I would challenge anyone to find that player and sell them on the role. Especially when one of the guys in front of you is an AA candidate and the coaches son.

Not trying to be obtuse at all just you have to put yourself in the kids shoes. If playing time isn't a big deal then you probably aren't getting a kid that is much better than Paddy is anyways.

i disagree with you.

plenty of teams have more than 3 good guards.

theres plenty of options out there. plenty.

i disagree with you.

plenty of teams have more than 3 good guards.

theres plenty of options out there. plenty.

Teams that play 3 guard lineups. Teams that play 10-11 guys( definitely not us). Teams that don't have an AA starting at guard. It's looking at us now not hypothetical.

This has been a longstanding argument for the past off season there aren't that many options. Plus remember- this is year one after the portal. That is going to change things too.

Plus don't get me wrong I would love a fourth guard who can really ball. Just not in the cards for us right now.

Last edited:
Teams that play 3 guard lineups. Teams that play 10-11 guys( definitely not us). Teams that don't have an AA starting at guard. It's looking at us now not hypothetical.

This has been a longstanding argument for the past off season there aren't that many options. Plus remember- this is year one after the portal. That is going to change things too.

Plus don't get me wrong I would love a fourth guard who can really ball. Just not in the cards for us right now.
i think it was 100% a choice.

you think it was an inevitability.

agree to disagree

i think it was 100% a choice.

you think it was an inevitability.

agree to disagree

Find me 10 guards in the portal who wanted to play that role knowing what we know about SU. It's a choice both ways the way I see it. It's very likely we have 4 guards next year with the incoming class. Maybe if it was about recruiting vs just the portal it's a different look.

So if you were a player looking for playing time, you wouldn't look at our rotation and look at our history and not have concerns if SU is the best fit for you?
im thinking of mid major types - like the big man guy from last year that transferred to Duke and didnt play from the ivy league that almost came to syracuse...and the guy who went to ohio state but didnt really feature despite being a big transfer target...

there were like over 1000 players in the portal...

im not familair enough with all of them to say who is who...but there literally had to have been some players with 1 year left who just want to be part of a winning team and hadnt had that yet.

i cannot beleive that in a year where literally thousands of players were free agents that there wasnt someone out there.

Find me 10 guards in the portal who wanted to play that role knowing what we know about SU. It's a choice both ways the way I see it. It's very likely we have 4 guards next year with the incoming class. Maybe if it was about recruiting vs just the portal it's a different look.
10? all it takes is 1.

We couldn't keep Howard Washington in this role.
im aware but its only about this year. this is the window.

this season.

i think the last 2 or 3 years have all been about this year.

i think itd be better actually if such a player left after 1 year.

ideally it would be a grad transfer like jimmy who only has 1 year anyway...so no hard feelings...but the insurance is necessary imo...hopefully it works out...but its a risk thats been taken, imo.

im thinking of mid major types - like the big man guy from last year that transferred to Duke and didnt play from the ivy league that almost came to syracuse...and the guy who went to ohio state but didnt really feature despite being a big transfer target...

there were like over 1000 players in the portal...

im not familair enough with all of them to say who is who...but there literally had to have been some players with 1 year left who just want to be part of a winning team and hadnt had that yet.

i cannot beleive that in a year where literally thousands of players were free agents that there wasnt someone out there.
I'd be curious to hear about the kids that JB said they didn't pursue who were interested in SU. (See the radio show thread) Wonder if there were any guards in that group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom