Well... Are we in our out? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Well... Are we in our out?

Palm says we have no chance
Palm's latest is not a surprise. Other "gurus" have us in. Obviously, it depends on the the final committee deliberations after the conference tourney results. I'd be happy with a play-in-game.

a couple points :

#1 I don't buy the "they don't deserve to be in" argument. Boston College doesn't deserve to be in. Any bubble team is on the bubble for a reason. They've been inconsistent and have warts. It's up to the subjectivity of the committee who gets the call on Sunday.
#2 Recalling the history of the selection committee can really only go back 6 yrs. as to when the field expanded to 68. Saying that "no team with ___ has ever" really doesn't mean much. Each year will continue to set precedent...

That being said, I really feel right now we are 50/50 and the rest of the week will tell if that moves or not. It almost feels right that this team should be destined for a "first four" game given the way its gone for us, but short of disappointment - I don't think we have much of an argument if we get left behind...
Agreed - If we don't make it, I'll have a hard time faulting the committee. We certainly had opportunities to control our own destiny and didn't capitalize.

To say we have "no chance" right now is silly. If it was Sunday and he was saying it - fine, he's entitled to his opinion.

But there's a handful of bubble teams playing today, that if they lose, would have a hard time passing us IMO.

Doing bracketology isn't like coaching a high level sport. Palm was never on the committee

I usually like a palm, but it seems like he like Lunardi last year he is politicking the committee to say who does and doesn't deserve to be in because of certain metrics.

It's painful to realize that we're in back to back seasons of "bubble" discussions. This will probably be one of the first times I won't be crying "foul" if we don't get in, but hopefully I won't have to.

The reality is no one here, or Mr. Palm or Mr. Lunardi, know exactly what criteria are most important to the selection committee. Are the strong wins by SU deemed more important than the terrible OOC record and terrible away from home record? How much does playing in the ACC bring to the decision-making process? For which team did the ACC tournament do more good in the eyes of the committee -- Wake Forest which went 1-1 or Syracuse which went 0-1? Same for other tournaments. Xavier beat DePaul. If they lose today to Butler, did the Big East tournament help or hurt them, or make no difference? We have 3 more days until we get some indication.

Palm says we have no chance

Johnny Fontane: I don't know what to do, Godfather. My voice is weak, it's weak. Anyway, if I had this part in the picture, it puts me right back on top, you know. But this... this man out there. He won't give it to me, the head of the studio.

Don Corleone: What's his name?

Don Corleone: Woltz. He said there's no chance, no chance...

If the rpi is on the way out as you say (not disputing that btw) then why do these other rating systems matter?
Not sure I'm understanding what you're asking but there's a reason why the RPI is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the eyes of the committee - the other rating systems are better.

The reality is no one here, or Mr. Palm or Mr. Lunardi, know exactly what criteria are most important to the selection committee. Are the strong wins by SU deemed more important than the terrible OOC record and terrible away from home record? How much does playing in the ACC bring to the decision-making process? For which team did the ACC tournament do more good in the eyes of the committee -- Wake Forest which went 1-1 or Syracuse which went 0-1? Same for other tournaments. Xavier beat DePaul. If they lose today to Butler, did the Big East tournament help or hurt them, or make no difference? We have 3 more days until we get some indication.

It's my understanding that the committee members do not take conference membership into account. Now how they view each individual win or loss in conference is a different story.

Ask yourself this question: if UConn had our same exact resume, would you have them in or out? And if the answer is in, then you know you're being objective with yourself.

It's painful to realize that we're in back to back seasons of "bubble" discussions. This will probably be one of the first times I won't be crying "foul" if we don't get in, but hopefully I won't have to.
Would've been 3 straight years if we didn't take ourselves out of the running. Been a rough 3 seasons compared to the prior 6...

Ask yourself this question: if UConn had our same exact resume, would you have them in or out? And if the answer is in, then you know you're being objective with yourself.
There would be a 10 page thread complaining about them even being on the bubble

I would have them out but that's because they suck. Also it's spelled Yukon not UConn. They are a mid-major it's like comparing us to a team in the patriot league. Or like Marsh would say .

Not sure I'm understanding what you're asking but there's a reason why the RPI is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the eyes of the committee - the other rating systems are better.

Why are they better and who says so?

More emphasis of how you play on the court. The RPI overvalues road wins against rumdum state and can reward you simply for playing teams regardless if you win.

Really think we are out, and justifiably so. OOC, and road records are always huge. The top 50 wins at home just don't overcome that. If every bubble team loses, then maybe. I give us a 1 in 4 shot to be in a play in game.

We lost the opportunity to control our own destiny. A win over Miami and we are almost certainly in. Now it may well depend on what others do.

I will have no argument with what the Committee does one way or the other. When you are on the fence you can fall on either side.

The one thing I will not want to see will be sour grapes if we are out and crying that we had a better resume than somebody else who gets in.

If there is one analyst who is objective and whose opinion I value over others, it would be Jay Bilas. Jay Bilas thinks we are in due to multiple good wins, so I'll go with Jay.

Play in game in Dayton.

More emphasis of how you play on the court. The RPI overvalues road wins against rumdum state and can reward you simply for playing teams regardless if you win.

I understand the flaws with the rpi- I don't like it either. But what's so great about these other rankings?

From 2015...

Debate has raged on for years about whether the Rating Percentage Index was an archaic metric for the selection committee to use, with critics pleading for KenPom, Sagarin and ESPN's BPI to be the new go-to.

A combination of those now are. Committee chair Scott Barnes, athletic director at Utah State, said Sunday the RPI will help pool which teams deserves to be in consideration together, but it's not a determining factor for who gets in.

"We look at RPI really as an organizer in terms of top 50 and 100, but we spent a lot of time, more time than I remember, in comparing (RPI) in the swings to metrics such as the Sagarin, Ken Pom, BPI," Barnes said. "Those are used in the room as well and talked about quite extensively. We review those metrics each week, and that carried over to this week."

From 2015...

Debate has raged on for years about whether the Rating Percentage Index was an archaic metric for the selection committee to use, with critics pleading for KenPom, Sagarin and ESPN's BPI to be the new go-to.

A combination of those now are. Committee chair Scott Barnes, athletic director at Utah State, said Sunday the RPI will help pool which teams deserves to be in consideration together, but it's not a determining factor for who gets in.

"We look at RPI really as an organizer in terms of top 50 and 100, but we spent a lot of time, more time than I remember, in comparing (RPI) in the swings to metrics such as the Sagarin, Ken Pom, BPI," Barnes said. "Those are used in the room as well and talked about quite extensively. We review those metrics each week, and that carried over to this week."

So they use them all. That's fine. I thought you were saying they use Sag, KP, BPI more than rpi. I don't gather that from Barnes' statement.

We lost the opportunity to control our own destiny. A win over Miami and we are almost certainly in. Now it may well depend on what others do.

I will have no argument with what the Committee does one way or the other. When you are on the fence you can fall on either side.

The one thing I will not want to see will be sour grapes if we are out and crying that we had a better resume than somebody else who gets in.

Agreed, but if say Cal or Illinois gets in over us then I may be upset. Still, we shouldn't even be on the bubble. One more win, and we were good. 11-7, or 10-8 with an OOC win then we're good.

I definitely won't be complaining if we're out. Hate to look back. UConn, and L'Ville could have easily been wins. Sucks, but it is what it is. If it's the NIT then screw it, let's win it.

So they use them all. That's fine. I thought you were saying they use Sag, KP, BPI more than rpi. I don't gather that from Barnes' statement.
That's how I took the statement "We look at RPI really as an organizer". And I took "we spent more time than I can remember comparing RPI in the swings to metrics such as the Sagarin, Ken Pom, BPI" as "it finally dawned on us that RPI is a huge outlier when compared to the other ratings - why are we still using this ?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom