Well, it’s obvious that either Maliq or one of JT/Cope need to start | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Well, it’s obvious that either Maliq or one of JT/Cope need to start

I know he’s got length and happy to see him get minutes but would think long term Copeland is a pg. Him and JT up top would give a lot of length and if Judah can improve his shooting in the offseason I love the idea of a Cope and Judah backcourt.

One thing I have to say about Cope is he brings great energy and plays a lot bigger than he is. Not afraid to mix it up and has an edge to him that we desperately need.

I know it’s a slippery slope especially in conference play but I’d rather a kid come in and try and make plays than be tentative and disappear.

I’m hoping he’s aligned with the staff on his future because I think he’s an ideal 6th man that can give us a lot of flexibility in the coming years.

9ABEE1E9-EE16-4BB3-A1AC-F0DBA0160914.jpeg

I know he’s got length and happy to see him get minutes but would think long term Copeland is a pg. Him and JT up top would give a lot of length and if Judah can improve his shooting in the offseason I love the idea of a Cope and Judah backcourt.

One thing I have to say about Cope is he brings great energy and plays a lot bigger than he is. Not afraid to mix it up and has an edge to him that we desperately need.

I know it’s a slippery slope especially in conference play but I’d rather a kid come in and try and make plays than be tentative and disappear.

I’m hoping he’s aligned with the staff on his future because I think he’s an ideal 6th man that can give us a lot of flexibility in the coming years.
Good post, except for the last line, no reason Cope cant start down the road.

Back when JB said Benny is a 4 that wants to be a 3, I thought that they should be the starters. I don't think Bell brings that much more than Benny to start over him. I am surprised that Benny is not more explosive for his size. Bennys shot has improved, a few games ago I focused on Brown and Williams and when the ball is moving or a shot goes up, Brown is in or near the paint and moves to the rim, Benny stands and watches the shot and prepares to get back down court, he has no movement towards the rim, Edwards would find him if he would move. I would really like to see them both start and play together more.
It was easy to see that Brown would not sit for long because when he enters the game things happen and he quickly get involved. As posted above I hope Benny watches and learns when he sits, but his game has improved, he just needs more consistency.

Joe looked pretty good out there playing all 40
I stand by my statement. Minutes add up and take their toll within each game and over the course of a season. So, guys might look great in individual games playing 40, but the next game, he may not have the legs or the shot might be slightly off.
The greatest players in the game rarely played full games.

I stand by my statement. Minutes add up and take their toll within each game and over the course of a season. So, guys might look great in individual games playing 40, but the next game, he may not have the legs or the shot might be slightly off.
The greatest players in the game rarely played full games.
I don’t think he should play 40 every game but to say nobody ever should play 40 sounds a little out there.

If it's a championship game, I'll allow it. If there is more season beyond the game, it's not "out there".
To each their own, but I find it ridiculous to say nobody ever should play 40 minutes.

I think start Brown with Benny, and let Benny try being the 3. His shot has improved. While I like Copeland's energy and spirit, I don't see that he is ready yet (nor Taylor). Chris has a great shot, but needs to improve the rest of his game.

Brown's play has earned more playing time and I'd rather have his defense, rebounding, and knack for being around the ball at the START of the game, and not 5-10 min into the game when SU is behind.

I’m not sold on Copeland yet. Love him in spurts, but he’s not ready. Probably will be great by his Jr year.

I wouldnt change anything if I’m JB. The only move I’d consider would be Brown for Benny….but I’m not sure of the total ramifications of doing that.

He’s going to start the guys currently starting and then play the hot hand.

Bell is going to win us a game at some point this year.

Last edited:
Benny or Bell has to benched. We can’t afford these starts to games. If you want to bring Brown off the bench to save some fouls, fine I get that. But Bell brings nothing to the table. Split those minutes with JT/Cope. Thoughts?
Not starting has clearly motivated Maliq to play like he has. Lets keep things going this season, as they are, but just sub the guys out earlier if they are having bad games.

As an opposing coach, it has to be really hard to prepare for a team that does not put its best players on the court until the 4-5 minute mark.

Maliq plays 30 minutes, which is about all any starter should play anyway.

I am OK with things as they are. If Maliq is not complaining, and is in fact motivated, then its all good.

Not starting has clearly motivated Maliq to play like he has. Lets keep things going this season, as they are, but just sub the guys out earlier if they are having bad games.

As an opposing coach, it has to be really hard to prepare for a team that does not put its best players on the court until the 4-5 minute mark.

Maliq plays 30 minutes, which is about all any starter should play anyway.

I am OK with things as they are. If Maliq is not complaining, and is in fact motivated, then its all good.
It’s all about the bad starts, not the minutes. Coming back isn’t as easy as treading water with a lead

I’m not sure why brown can’t play the 4 and Benny the three. JB is trying to force something unnatural
Agreed. It’s not like Bell handles the ball at all.

You’re losing some shooting, but you’re gaining in basically every other area. And…it’s easy enough to sub Bell in if you need some shooting.

JB doesn't want Benny launching 3s.
He’s shooting 42% from 3. Obviously on limited attempts (10-24 on the year).

I certainly don’t want him “launching”, but I think I’d rather see him take an open 3 after the ball has moved than see him take a contested 15 footer that he’s almost surely going to put a line drive off the front rim on.

I certainly don’t want him “launching”, but I think I’d rather see him take an open 3 after the ball has moved than see him take a contested 15 footer that he’s almost surely going to put a line drive off the front rim on.
JB puts weird guard rails around some players and Benny is one. No one talks about Joes launched threes.

JB puts weird guard rails around some players and Benny is one. No one talks about Joes launched threes.
I get it to a point.

But I don’t think you can tell a perimeter player to basically “NEVER” shoot the 3 - unless they are flat out incapable of recognizing what and when it’s a good shot for them to take.

Benny’s contested off the dribble mid range jumpers might be the least successful shot in program history that happens on a regular basis. Those almost never go in. Tell him to cut those out and ONLY shoot wide open 3’s off the catch, or shots around the rim IMO.

That's just how JB traditionally balances the floor (and I know there have been exceptions, like last year). Anyone guarding Benny likely would give him that shot and make life tougher for Jesse. If I were to guess what JB is thinking that is what I'd assume.

He talks about what he wants Benny to do at every single press conference.

That's just how JB traditionally balances the floor (and I know there have been exceptions, like last year). Anyone guarding Benny likely would give him that shot and make life tougher for Jesse. If I were to guess what JB is thinking that is what I'd assume.

He talks about what he wants Benny to do at every single press conference.
Well he won’t have to worry about talking about him much longer

You both make good comments. One time I heard JB say the starters are the players who get the most playing time. For every player on this team playing will depend on how well a player plays on defense. Playing good defense is going to get a player more playing time. JB's teams have always been about playing amazingly good defense towards the end of February early March. For this year's team to be successful everyone has to play better on defense. In years past, when the Orange were amazing on defense, all 5 players would shift in unison in response to ball movement. Running the zone this way takes in unbelievable strength and endurance. I think this team's offense is pretty good or good enough. The defense needs to go up one or two notches of greatness in my opinion.

I'm OK with those contested 15 footers-
As long as Benny takes them real early each half.
Reason: That shot got Maliq in the game FAST in 2nd half vs GT!

Do hope Benny gets it going -can contribute if he learns...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom