Well this is the first major screwjob we get for going to the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Well this is the first major screwjob we get for going to the ACC

Does anyone see anything kind of slimy about NCAA basketball programs tripping over themselves to set up an event to honor Knight's 80th Birthday?

I don't see how this is a "screwjob". If they are only taking two teams from each conference then Duke and UNC are the clear winners from the ACC until we've actually played in it and proven ourselves to be more deserving than one or the other of those programs. If I were a long time ACC member and Syracuse were nominated to play in this tournament and there were other logical choices from among the incumbent members I'd go batshit.

That is exactly the point!!! We are not an ACC elite team yet! However, we were a Big East elite team a year ago, we would be included in this event last year, and the Big East is a better basketball conf than the ACC. Hard to even debate that. So essentially SU took a step backwards in basketball by the ACC move. SU will never be treated like an elite ACC team even if it wins the conf.

The sad but true fact is, if SU wins the ACC the next three years in a row and this same type of situation arises in 2015, Duke and NC would still be selected and considered the ACC elite.

Honestly, who cares about this tournament? What do you get if you win it?

I used to only care about two tournaments a year, the BET and of coures the NCAA. Now that we are leaving the Big East, I don't even care about the ACC Tournament. It will be such a let down watching the conference championship in Greensboro rather than MSG.

The NCAA Tournament is the ONLY tournament that matters anymore!

Get used to this folks as SU will be viewed as 2nd tier behind UNC and Duke for the foreseeable future. Are you really surprised by this? This will manifest itself in many ways. It's the price for the financial upside deal with the devil.

Absolutely right!
We're going from being the foundation of the Big East to another team in an ill-suited conference.
(A strong team.,...but not one of any real significance).

Culturally, the ACC is still a "southern" entity.
And we simply won't fit in.
(Neither will Pitt. Nor does BC fit in. And I'm not even sure about Miami).

We'll be adrift without our arch-rival and our 2 or 3 other rivals.
Besides the games against Duke & UNC (which every team gets up for) it'll be like playing Marquette almost every night.
Good team...some good games...but nothing special.

On the underlying matter...I'm glad we're not involved in paying homage to Nike or Phil Knight.

Absolutely right!
We're going from being the foundation of the Big East to another team in an ill-suited conference.

Besides the games against Duke & UNC (which every team gets up for) it'll be like playing Marquette almost every night.

On the underlying matter...I'm glad we're not involved in paying homage to Nike or Phil Knight.
There are so many things wrong with this post, I'll just say---open your eyes and see what's really happening.

On this point, I totally agree. Based upon his business practices, I never cared for the man. And then he delivered that ridiculous eulogy at the Paterno memorial.

People are greatly underestimating the national SU basketball brand and just how much we will all grow to care about ACC games and the ACC tournament. If we keep recruiting as we have been, get number 1 or 2 seeds, make final fours, win another NC, we will absolutely be seen as an elite ACC team. Whether we get the same input on conf matters as the carolina schools is a different matter. But we didn't have the same say as Prov did in the BE either. Rivalries will take a bit of time to develope, but they will. Think about how fast we came to care about the LVille game... and they were in the BE less than a decade. A couple buzzer beater games, a couple games with some cheap hard fouls, a couple games decided by contraversial calls at the end with fans on both sides griping back and forth... you'll care about beating them the next time and especially in the ACC tournament.

People are greatly underestimating the national SU basketball brand and just how much we will all grow to care about ACC games and the ACC tournament. If we keep recruiting as we have been, get number 1 or 2 seeds, make final fours, win another NC, we will absolutely be seen as an elite ACC team. Whether we get the same input on conf matters as the carolina schools is a different matter. But we didn't have the same say as Prov did in the BE either. Rivalries will take a bit of time to develope, but they will. Think about how fast we came to care about the LVille game... and they were in the BE less than a decade. A couple buzzer beater games, a couple games with some cheap hard fouls, a couple games decided by contraversial calls at the end with fans on both sides griping back and forth... you'll care about beating them the next time and especially in the ACC tournament.
I think we already made a good start with a rivalry with NC State last year. Those folks were Very upset we took over their arena.

NEXT MSG contract wiil be acc. theyll come north for money and fame twice as big as big east
an be on scholorship rather than walk on in my hayday i could dunk a volleyball

Absolutely right!

Yeah...and before Boeheim took over our biggest rivals were teams like Niagra and Bonaventure.

Things change, and believe it or not the ACC has been the better conference until only recently.

Being one of the Big 3 in the ACC, will get us preferred seeding location for the tournament, and thats all that matters. The ACC teams always end up with good paths to the final.

Not a screw job. Did anyone notice that Kansas, Indiana and UCLA are missing from the list? They should feel screwed, too, as far as storied programs go. SU just got caught in no-man's land -- Elite Big East but no longer a member by 2017, and not yet Elite ACC. Time will heal this "wound."--VBOF

Not a screw job. Did anyone notice that Kansas, Indiana and UCLA are missing from the list? They should feel screwed, too, as far as storied programs go. SU just got caught in no-man's land -- Elite Big East but no longer a member by 2017, and not yet Elite ACC. Time will heal this "wound."--VBOF

Those 3 are adidas schools

Being one of the Big 3 in the ACC, will get us preferred seeding location for the tournament, and thats all that matters. The ACC teams always end up with good paths to the final.

I wouldn't count on being on par with Duke and UNC...it's the state of North Carolina and everyone else.

I wouldn't count on being on par with Duke and UNC...it's the state of North Carolina and everyone else.
We will, if we win. UConn would once "never be on par with Syracuse and Georgetown". Finals fours and NCs will put us right there.

We will, if we win. UConn would once "never be on par with Syracuse and Georgetown". Finals fours and NCs will put us right there.

Yes if we win big..final four big then we can hang.

Yes if we win big..final four big then we can hang.
Well yeah... UNC and Duke are going to win final four big... and we've been right there the last few years. If we win at that level we'll be elite. If we don't we wont be because we don't deserve to be.