Well, you all wanted him gone... | Syracusefan.com

Well, you all wanted him gone...

44PRIDE

All Conference
Went back to look at some historical threads where we called for Marrone's head. I figure we needed some perspective on the coach we lost. I'm not saying losing DM doesn't hurt, but it isn't the end of the world either...

Dec 3, 2011: Pull the plug on Marrone now or wait until 2012?

Dec 3, 2011: Coaching Changes

Dec 3, 2011: Ok who wants to give Doug an extension?

Sep 23, 2012: I am getting sick of it

Oct 13, 2012: Hackett or Marrone on Hot Seat?

Oct 13, 2012: Scott Shafer for head coach?

Oct 13, 2012: Our next head coach

Oct 14, 2012: Doug needs 2 more years

The 2011 posts were made at after the late season collapse
The 2012 posts were made after the Minnesota and Rutgers losses

Sadly, I don't think we're the only fan base that reacts this way.

You think it odd that a fanbase would be upset with a 8 game losing streak?

Not at all. I just posted this to add perspective. There was a time when DM wasn't thought of as the next Ben Schwartzwalder.

Went back to look at some historical threads where we called for Marrone's head. I figure we needed some perspective on the coach we lost. I'm not saying losing DM doesn't hurt, but it isn't the end of the world either...

Dec 3, 2011: Pull the plug on Marrone now or wait until 2012?

Dec 3, 2011: Coaching Changes

Dec 3, 2011: Ok who wants to give Doug an extension?

Sep 23, 2012: I am getting sick of it

Oct 13, 2012: Hackett or Marrone on Hot Seat?

Oct 13, 2012: Scott Shafer for head coach?

Oct 13, 2012: Our next head coach

Oct 14, 2012: Doug needs 2 more years

The 2011 posts were made at after the late season collapse
The 2012 posts were made after the Minnesota and Rutgers losses

Nice job in the mines, there's comedy gold there.

kenny-bania.jpg

It's a fact that up until 2 months ago Marrone wasn't getting the job done. He had beaten exactly one FBS football team in his last ten tries. His team was making countless mental mistakes that were costing them games.

He, and the team, were able to turn it around and salvage a good season. However, without the late 4th quarter game winning drives vs USF and Mizzou, where would Marrone be right now? This board might be discussing potential head coaches, but not because Marrone got an NFL HC gig.

It's a fact that up until 2 months ago Marrone wasn't getting the job done. He had beaten exactly one FBS football team in his last ten tries. His team was making countless mental mistakes that were costing them games.

He, and the team, were able to turn it around and salvage a good season. However, without the late 4th quarter game winning drives vs USF and Mizzou, where would Marrone be right now? This board might be discussing potential head coaches, but not because Marrone got an NFL HC gig.

But it's not, is it?

Frustration after an eight game losing streak is perfectly understandable.

But it's not, is it?
Razor thin margins. Marrone sold when his stock was high. Good for him. The fact was he was a hell of a lot closer to the unemployment line than the Bills HC job two months ago. If someone would have posted a prediction that DM would be an NFL head coach in January 2013 during those threads 44pride dug up, they would have been laughed off the board.

I couldn't open the first thread for some reason, but wow, how perception of Hack has xhanged.changed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

He was losing what do you expect.

Razor thin margins. Marrone sold when his stock was high. Good for him. The fact was he was a hell of a lot closer to the unemployment line than the Bills HC job two months ago. If someone would have posted a prediction that DM would be an NFL head coach in January 2013 during those threads 44pride dug up, they would have been laughed off the board.

And they would have all been wrong, wouldn't they?

And the second half was predicted by some.

'You' all? Show me where I ever said I wanted Marrone gone. Oh wait. Is this a thread just to get a response? Well I guess you win. :rolleyes:

From my 2012 SU Football Preview:

"It’s a huge year for the program. It’s going to be our last year in the Big East. We want to go out strong, not with another last place team. You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression and if we go into the ACC looking like a bottom feeder, we’ll recruit like one and be one for a long time, a sort of second Duke- a basketball power that can’t play football. Continuity in the coaching staff is vital to recruiting. If we wind up firing Marrone, it will be the third time we’ve done that in a decade. If you develop a reputation as being a revolving door for coaches, good coaches won’t want to come here, except as a stepping stone for another job. Players won’t want to come here because they won’t know who the coach will be. That’s the best way to kill a program. But if Marrone “isn’t the guy”, what do you do? If you keep him around after criticism and rumors that he’s gone build up, recruiting stops anyway. That’s what happened to his two predecessors.

We badly need Marrone to be successful and to be successful this year. If he is, that will allow us to extend his contract and to continue his recruiting, which looks like it’s pretty good. A coach going into the last year of his contract, (2013 in this case) is a “dead man walking”. "

We survived the losing streak being extended to 7. We survived the Minnesota game, the Rutgers game and the Cincinnati game. We clobbered Louisville and came back to beat Missouri and Temple, then dominated West Virginia in the bowl game. "Mission Accomplished".

We waited for ther inevitable announcement that Doug's contract had been extended so he could continue his strong recruiting and lead us into the ACC. Instead we get this. It's almost the same as if we went 5-7 and Marrone got canned. Mission: Aborted.

I'm proud to say I played defense in those threads. You're all a$$holes. :p